Author Topic: Thorn Nomad Bottom Bracket parts in Singapore?  (Read 3927 times)

Vintagetourer

Thorn Nomad Bottom Bracket parts in Singapore?
« on: August 13, 2023, 11:09:47 pm »
As mentioned in a previous post, on 1 May intrepid cycle-touring friend Ian Wallis set off from Canberra Australia to ride to Singapore.

Three and half months of challenging riding later, Ian has just pedalled into Bogor on the outskirts of Jakarta and has stalled briefly due to visa issue and a mechanical issue.

His bottom bracket is showing signs of wear, so he’s going to fly to Singapore to renew his visa and try to find replacement parts.

The question is, does anyone have a recommendation for a source of Thorn Nomad BB parts in Singapore? Ian has checked with SJSC and they are out of stock.

Ian’s journal: it’s possible to send comments directly to him via this link.

https://www.cycleblaze.com/journals/australasia2023/day-105-a-lazy-day-in-bogor-with-a-christ-inspired-cathedral/

« Last Edit: August 14, 2023, 04:36:39 am by Vintagetourer »

mickeg

Re: Thorn Nomad Bottom Bracket parts in Singapore?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2023, 01:18:16 pm »
That link did not open for me.  This one did.
https://www.cycleblaze.com/journals/australasia2023/

And from that link I could click on day 105.

I am not using a Thorn crankset, so I do not have any idea what his bottom bracket specifications are.  I have no suggestion for him, did not try to contact him.  The Nomad Mk II uses a 73mm bottom bracket instead of the more common 68mm, thus it can be hard to source.

PH

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2023, 01:40:13 pm »
The BB on his bike will be pretty standard, it'll have to match the chainset rather than the bike and we don't know from your post what that is. I only know about square taper, it's quite likely to be that type but Thorn have used others. It needs to match the frame BB width (EDIT - mickeg points out the MkII is 73mm, likewise the MkIII, I don't know about previous models), and the spindle length (You can get away with +/- a few mm on the spindle) ST used to be ubiquitous, they're not so easy to find anymore, particularly if they need a 73mm width, though that availability may vary around the World.
Square taper do fail, often water getting past the seals, but it's rarely a catastrophic failure.  You'd have to have ignored the warning signs for hundreds (Maybe thousands) of miles before it became unusable. If it's at the early stages of failure - the bearing feeling or sounding rough but the cranks still spinning fairly freely - then injecting some grease under the seals into the bearings can prolong the life, though it isn't a permeant solution.

EDIT 2 - Has anyone experience of running a 68mm BB in a 73mm shell? I have a vague recollection of reading about someone doing so, though it might not have been here.   
« Last Edit: August 14, 2023, 01:44:51 pm by PH »

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2023, 03:23:30 pm »
DIT 2 - Has anyone experience of running a 68mm BB in a 73mm shell? I have a vague recollection of reading about someone doing so, though it might not have been here.   
Perhaps helpful, Paul?
https://forum.cyclinguk.org/viewtopic.php?t=149695

Best, Dan.

John Saxby

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2023, 10:07:24 pm »
Hi Graham,

Thanks for the heads-up on your mate Ian.

A note to say that I couldn't raise him via a link, so I posted this info into the "Comments" section for Day 105:

Following are three bike shops which resulted from a search for 73 mm ST bottom brackets of different spindle lengths.  The first two are in Montréal, the 3rd in Des Moines, Iowa, in the U.S.:

First two in Montreal, 3rd in Des Moines, Iowa, in the US.

https://www.veloibike.ca/en/bb-shimano-bb-un300-british-square-taper.html

https://www.clcycle.ca/en/boitier-de-pedalier-shimano-bb-un300-bottom-bracke.html

https://www.modernbike.com/bottom-brackets+spindle-interface-typeequalssquare-taper-iso+shell-widthis6873+brandisshimano

I reckon he could get one sent quickly (maybe not cheaply) if he knows his BB's spindle length.  That's a function of his cranks & chainring. (I'd err on the side of caution -- maybe around 116 - 118mm?

If you're in touch with Ian, perhaps you could let him know about the info in his "Comments" section.

Cheers,  mate.  John

Vintagetourer

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2023, 10:24:17 pm »
Thanks for the replies. Very helpful.
I’ll pass on the information.

Ian has bought a return to ticket to Singapore to renew his visa and to look for parts.
This will give him an additional 30 or so days to complete the ride.

For those interested in the story of his Thorn Nomad, hopefully this link will work.
It’s a 2011 model. He’s ridden at least 60,000 km on it.

https://www.cycleblaze.com/journals/australasia2023/what-i-ride/

Vintagetourer

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2023, 10:01:54 pm »
To conclude this thread.
All good.
Ian obtained the parts he needed via a slightly serendipitous process in Singapore.
He’s now back in Indonesia and pedalling again.

His post about obtaining the spare parts.
https://www.cycleblaze.com/journals/australasia2023/days-107110-meeting-arnold-and-flying-to-singapore-and-back-342/

JohnR

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2023, 02:33:12 pm »
I'm surprised that bottom brackets weren't easier to find. The UN55 bottom bracket was made in Indonesia.

Vintagetourer

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2023, 07:17:23 am »
That’s interesting. Thanks. I knew Schwalbe tyres were made in Indonesia, but not other parts.

My friend now has other mechanical problems. His Thorn Nomad spokes are breaking frequently and he’s almost run out of spares. His just pedalled into Palembang Sumatra.

WorldTourer

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2023, 09:04:08 am »
His Thorn Nomad spokes are breaking frequently and he’s almost run out of spares.

Did Thorn build those wheels? If so, this would be really surprising. Thorn/SJS is famous for the quality of their wheel builds and I have never broken a spoke on tens of thousands of km of rough off-road terrain with heavy loads.

Vintagetourer

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2023, 09:24:45 am »
Ian’s probably done about 65,000 km heavily loaded on those wheels.

For example, their first run was when he cycled out of SJSC in Somerset and kept riding until he arrived in Singapore.
Thereafter they’ve been across Australia twice; back to Central Asia; across the Gibb River Rd in the Kimberley which is a bone jarring, tyre destroying experience.
This current tour has been 8300km so far.

Given their age, ride history and loads, I’m not surprised the spokes are pinging.

mickeg

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2023, 09:59:40 am »
My friend now has other mechanical problems. His Thorn Nomad spokes are breaking frequently and he’s almost run out of spares. His just pedalled into Palembang Sumatra.

That is unfortunate, before the last spare is used he should get an accurate measurement of the length so he knows what he needs to buy.

I assume it is the rear wheel, spoke breakage on a front wheel is very rare.  The large Rohloff flange and with 26 inch wheels being a bit smaller than 700c, the spokes he needs are much shorter than typical spokes, many bike shops would not have spokes of that length in stock.

If I recall correctly, for a brief time several years ago Sapim had a bad batch of steel that they used to make spokes, a lot of spokes broke in the middle which is not a common failure location for a spoke.  If his spokes are failing in the middle, that could be the reason, and that would imply that he should just replace all of them.

Vintagetourer

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2023, 10:20:25 am »
Yes it is unfortunate they are breaking, but he’s so close to finishing, he may well make it to the northern Sumatran coast and the ferry to Singapore. He’s mechanically savvy and very familiar with his Thorn Nomad’s specs.

Fingers crossed his wheels last the distance. It’s been an epic tour.

JohnR

« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2023, 10:42:10 am »
There have been no more mechanical problems and he's reached Singapore https://www.cycleblaze.com/journals/australasia2023/day-129-singapore-greets-me-with-a-drenching/. I've enjoyed reading the blog and am amazed by the daily distances covered with all that baggage.