Author Topic: John o groats route help  (Read 8096 times)

mickeg

Re: John o groats route help
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2023, 01:17:34 pm »
For bugs, my last tour had a LOT of mosquitos in several campsites.

And of course bike jerseys have a knit fabric that bugs can easily bite through.  Since then, I have bought and used some Permethrin to treat fabrics, but I have not been out in buggy locales since so I can't say how well it works.  I am in USA, it is my understanding that some countries do not allow the sale of permethrin, I do not know about UK.

I used to use Deet, but Deet has a reputation for damaging some things, such as some plastics it comes in contact with.  Starting roughly five years ago I stared to use Picaridin instead, it works quite well and should not damage anything. 

One particular buggy site on my last bike tour, I used a bit of Deet when the Picaridin did not seem to be fully effective, I have a tiny bottle of 100 percent Deet that is about 30 years old, having both Picaridin and Deet on seemed to work.  That said, that was only one day that the Picaridin was not enough out of almost five weeks.

The brand I used for both Picaridin and Permethrin is Sawyer.  I do not know if that brand is sold in UK or not.

One morning on my last bike tour, the mosquitos were outside my tent screen door waiting for me to open the door so they could come in for breakfast, photo attached.

in4

« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2023, 06:00:32 pm »
I think there is an Avon product called either skin so soft or something similar that is well regarded re keeping the midges away. Anecdotal stories of soldiers using it abound.

JohnR

« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2023, 10:36:05 pm »
I was once told that chewing two cloves of raw garlic per day would fend off mosquitoes. Perhaps this also works with midges (I'm not planning to try  ::) ).

ourclarioncall

« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2023, 05:05:33 am »
Hmmm, thoughts ?

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1239891353285405/

Been wanting a nomad for a long time . And it’s pretty close to where I live

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2023, 08:43:03 am »
Hmmm, thoughts ?

Definitely worth a look
Ask the history. Spares look good.
Rims? I have the same. Not sure I'd buy ( if available) again.
Let us know if you view it.

Best

Matt

Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

PH

« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2023, 08:44:58 am »
Hmmm, thoughts ?

That looks a good bike, in top spec (As long as you're happy with V brakes and 26" wheels), in good condition, at a very reasonable price - A new Mk3 in that spec is going to cost over twice that.  But £1,500 is still a lot of money for something if it isn't right.
Is it the perfect size for you?  Is it exactly what you want? Is it usable as it is?  If the answer to all three is a definite yes, it could be the bike you've dreamt of.  If any of the answers is a maybe, then proceed with caution. If the answer to any is no, then walk away!

PH

« Reply #36 on: March 06, 2023, 08:47:56 am »
I think there is an Avon product called either skin so soft or something similar that is well regarded re keeping the midges away. Anecdotal stories of soldiers using it abound.
Avon Skin so Soft works fantastically well, I've taken a bottle on four trips to Scotland and haven't seen a single midge and that's without opening it.

ourclarioncall

« Reply #37 on: March 06, 2023, 10:35:51 am »
Should I be concerned about the damage to the rear rack? How could that have happened? Would it take some amount of force and could that have stressed other areas of the bike ?

in4

« Reply #38 on: March 06, 2023, 07:30:43 pm »
I’d ask the seller. I have that rack and it’s pretty tough.
Coincidentally I also have a  MK2 590L. I’m 1.78M and after putting a shorter stem on find the bike a great fit. Mine is prettier, of course  :)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #39 on: March 06, 2023, 10:05:59 pm »
Coincidentally I also have a  MK2 590L...
My 2012 Nomad Mk2 is also a 590, but with the shorter top (M) top tube, with a short-reach stem and compact-drop handlebars. I stand 177.8 and it is also a perfect fit for me.

Wonderful bikes. I sure would hate to part with mine as it has been terrific throughout all my use. The 26in tire size may be getting harder to find, but it sure makes for strong, reliable wheels when carrying enormous loads as the bike was designed to do.

Mine is prettier, of course :)
Wanna bet? ;) :D ;D ::) Maybe "co-equal" in beauty? ;)

The one pictured in the ad looks to me like good value for money and the structural portion of the damaged rear rack appears unaffected from what I can see. I cannot imagine how it happened unless it was in shipping/air transport and was detached from the bike at the time. As Ian said, those racks are tough.

All the best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2023, 10:08:13 pm by Danneaux »

PH

« Reply #40 on: March 07, 2023, 11:53:39 am »
it's impossible to evaluate any damage to the frame without inspection and I'd be doing that with any secondhand bike.  It wouldn't put me off looking, the ad says it happened in transit before their ownership, so they're unlikely to be able to be more specific.  Having worked in air freight, damage doesn't surprise me, it doesn't happen often, but is does happen.  The end of the rack is cantilevered off a fair way, and thin walled steel tubes, those would last a lifetime (Or two) in normal use and abuse, but it still wouldn't take much outside that to bend it.
Also consider this - If you were an unscrupulous seller trying to pass off a damaged frame, wouldn't you remove or replace the rack?

mickeg

« Reply #41 on: March 07, 2023, 01:45:27 pm »
The cost of a rack is a small percentage of the total cost.  If you need a different rack, get one.

I use a Tubus Logo EVO on the back on my Nomad Mk II when touring with panniers.  That rack sets the panniers a bit lower for lower center of gravity and if you swing your leg over the back to get on or off the bike, lower pannier height can help.

First photo with Carradry panniers on the Logo EVO.

Second photo with Ortlieb Back Rollers and 31 liter Ortlieb Rack Pack.

Long story on why I have both kinds of panniers, they are both good, I am too lazy to type the reason that I have both.

If the rack condition is that important to your decision, ask for more photos of the rack.

PH

« Reply #42 on: March 07, 2023, 01:50:01 pm »
The cost of a rack is a small percentage of the total cost.  If you need a different rack, get one.

<SNIP>
If the rack condition is that important to your decision, ask for more photos of the rack.
I agree, though I don't think that was the question
Would it take some amount of force and could that have stressed other areas of the bike ?

John Saxby

« Reply #43 on: March 07, 2023, 04:57:04 pm »
Clarion, apologies for coming to this a little late -- have been away on personal stuff.  Let me offer a few observations & suggestions on Dealing With Bugs'n'such, daily mileage, and diet.  I'll preface this by saying that I've not done much hiking or cycling in UK, but I do have a lifetime's worth of hiking, camping, cycling and paddling in Canada/North America, Europe, & East/Central/Southern Africa. On a six-day hike of the West Highland Way in 2008, I encountered midges, sometimes lots of 'em, but they were more of a nuisance than anything else.

1)  My main line of defence against airborne biting insects is clothing:  longsleeved shirts closely buttoned a neck and wrist; long pants closed at the ankle; and especially a headnet.  The latter is available with more or less fine mesh, and the best ones have a toggle drawstring closure that falls below your neckline. They weigh nothing, and fold up into a 2" cube.  I may have missed it in the posts above, but I was surprised not to see it mentioned. The headnet shd be put on over a hat with a brim -- say, a bucket hat -- which allows the net to drop to your shoulders away from your face & head.  NB:  see the note below on repellants and clothing.

This line of defence is used mainly for campsites -- places where I'm more or less stationery, and there are lots of mozzies, etc.

2)   Timing matters:  When I was young an impulsive, I used to go paddling, etc., in the Canajan bush in early June.  The magic of the changing seasons, etc., etc.  After getting savaged by blackflies more than enough, I gave up.  There is no defence against these brutes, material or chemical.  So, I avoid blackfly country for the first three weeks or so of June. (you might enjoy Wade Hemsworth's song about the creature, here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f389hIxZAOc. "Ode to a Nightingale" it ain't.)

3)   Repellants: Body chemistry varies, and my experience may be specific:

*  "Skin-so-soft" felt nice on my skin, but didn't keep any mozzies away.
   *  THE BEST repellant I ever used came from a herbalist in Yukon.  Our daughter worked on their farm about 15 years ago, and gave me some.  I just checked their website, however, and they seem no longer to offer it.  It's probably not an immediate option, but you may want to check the site for Aroma Borealis (nice, eh?): aromaborealis.com.  You could say to Bev that Meg's dad recommended her product, and maybe she could make you up a special batch.  It's a long shot, though.
   *  I now use only DEET-based repellants -- but sparingly, and very carefully.  DEET is powerful stuff.  If you use it, keep it away from your skin & esp your eyes -- put instead on your clothing at wrists and neck; and, on the brim of your hat above your ears. Here in Ontario DEET-based products use only 29-30% of the stuff.  Do not use DEET on nylon clothing--it can effectively melt it.  I've found that DEET is, however, an A-grade fire-starter -- if your kindling is sputtering, stand well back, and squirt some DEET on it.  The results are truly spectacular.  (Mind you, I used 96% DEET the couple of times I tied it.)  Now that I'm older and wiser, I just use birch bark...

4)   Placement:  It may be stating the obvious, but try to pitch camp away from standing water, and try to take advantage of prevailing winds.  There's often a tradeoff betw shelter (e.g. trees) and the bug-chasing value of wind.  A lightweight tarp can be a great help.

5)   Daily distance:  Whatever you decide is your choice, obviously, but I can't help asking if what's "doable" is the issue.  Personally, I'd look for a more flexible adjective: "enjoyable", perhaps?  I've found that, over the course of a day, "slower" is often more enjoyable.  One can always ride quickly, of course, but I've found that a guideline which allows for photos, chance conversations, lingering on a lunchtime terrace, what-have-you, can be more rewarding.  FWIW, I use 90 kms/day (56 mi) as a guideline over the course of a tour.  There'll be days when I do 60 kms, others when I do 130. The 4Hs play a part, of course: heat, humidity, headwinds and hills.

6)  Finally, an observation on diet:  Twenty years ago, after I had my first run-in with Deep vein Thrombosis, I looked into Barry Sears' book "The Zone Diet".  I found it very helpful.  He argues for a 40-30-30 balance among carb, fat & protein: 40% of calories from carbs, 30% from fats, and 30 from protein. They type of carbs, etc., matters greatly too, of course.  He has a lot of very specific recommendations on what and how.  Our son was an international-class athlete around that time, and I asked him for his opinion. He said he thought that Sears' approach--based on the necessity to regulate insulin produced by the body--was valid, but in his diet control, he used a much simpler approach: no carbs after 12 noon.

In my experience, using Sears' approach plus cycling produced a gradual but apparently profound and beneficial change in my metabolism: over the years between about 2002 and 2010, I dropped about 20 lbs in weight, from +/- 205 lbs to +/- 185. The change was gradual, and then all-of-a-sudden: I had gradually reduced my weight to about 195-200 lbs, and then in 2010 I did an 8-day tour of the Gaspé peninsula in SE Québec. When I reached home, I was down to about 185 and a bit. The latter has remained constant as my "default" for the last decade-plus.  I still follow Sears' guidelines, but not as closely as I once did.

Hope that's helpful, and good luck with your big adventure!

Cheers,  John

Pavel

« Reply #44 on: April 11, 2023, 05:55:36 am »
A bit late to this ... but I'd like to chime in that I absolutely love night riding.  No bike of mine will ever not have a dynamo and light for that reason.  But I do live in North Carolina, in the humid south west of the USA where the temperature and humindity in the daytime are terrible, so I wait for the cool nights of only 42 c. and 97 percent humidity to make progress on my trips. 

The traffic is as also much lighter at night and the bugs that chase - let me keep a slightly slower cadence - more appropriate to my advancing age.