Author Topic: Rohloff splined sprockets (and Chainglider fitment)  (Read 22304 times)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Rohloff splined sprockets (and Chainglider fitment)
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2016, 03:05:36 am »
Methinks it would be a Very Good Idea to sometimes remove the thread-to-spline adapter occasionally for regreasing to avoid having the carrier seize in place.  :o

Looking at how to split the thread with minimal modification to the posts already made....
[...annnnnd, done]

All the best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 01:24:10 am by Danneaux »

martinf

« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2016, 05:59:15 am »
Checked my Raven Tour this morning. There is currently about 1,5 mm of clearance between Chainglider and seatstay, with the 54 mm chainline. So in my case, fitting splined sprockets at 58 mm chainline would require cutting the Chainglider .
« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 01:24:20 am by Danneaux »

Andre Jute

« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2016, 07:01:12 am »
John: My current sprocket has done only 8500km, zero signs of wear, in large part because I take trouble to arrange a perfect 54mm chainline, I have an unused spare as well, and I'm happy with my current setup (44x16T), so I'll wait and see how stressful removing the sprocket lock is time before I decide whether I need the adapter/splined sprocket which will require a whole new engineering job at the front. I rather suspect I'll be the last Rohloffie to give up the threaded sprockets, unless it is you! Also, though I've had a quick look, clearances on my bike are 1mm off the showroom floor -- owners are not encouraged to mess with it! -- so the new chainline may not fit at all.

Martin: Thanks for the check. Seems to me possible, even likely, that an extra 4mm on the chainline will bring the chain uncomfortably close to the paintwork, never mind the Chainglider. But Raven owners will have to check on a bike by bike basis, because we already know that some bikes have clearance and some have less. I suppose it is one of the costs of owning a bike which is properly scaled to size. (Paramount in the States sells a Gunnar which in the larger sizes is grotesquely misproportioned because all rear triangle are the same size no matter how tall the seat tube. It's quite a common costsaving device for designers more interested in profit margins than good bikes.)
« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 09:50:06 pm by Andre Jute »

Hoodatder

« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2016, 08:54:35 am »
Thank you all for you time and effort in returning these answers. It's not out of laziness that I ask questions as I do try and look for the technical answers and photo's elsewhere but don't seem to be delving in the right places or know my way around sites.

Anyway, the upshot for me is "If it ain't broke, don't mend it". To that end I will continue to clean my machine as and when necessary. FWIW, if I hadn't doggedly pursued fitting this Chainglider to my RST, albeit thoroughly reviewed by Andre, I would have purchased the Chainglider and been disappointed that it didn't fit as per his review. Who would I have blamed then? - Hebie? - Rolloff?- Thorn? - dare I say Andre? No, I would have been to blame for being lax in my research before purchasing it. Just in case any of you are thinking that I've taken my bat and ball in or thrown the dolly out of the pram, no, au contraire, I am sincerely grateful for the input and advice received and also for  the quips that we have remembered from our mentors.

Please be aware that I am now more informed than before and you all have saved me an expensive and hugely frustrating error. To quote Clint Eastwood  - "A man's gotta know his limitations" - and I know mine - that's the clever part 8)

Adios amigos

Hoot
« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 01:24:50 am by Danneaux »

Andre Jute

« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2016, 09:37:12 am »
It's one of the functions of a user group to save you money on components that don't match your bike!
« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 01:25:06 am by Danneaux »

Dave Whittle Thorn Workshop

• Thorn Cycles
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2016, 10:31:12 am »
New sprocket carrier increases chain-line by 3mm, we have mocked a few up on our machines and it just means we will have to alter the bottom bracket length on some builds.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 01:25:19 am by Danneaux »

Donerol

« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2016, 10:50:48 am »
Seems to me possible, even likely, that an extra 4mm on the chainline will bring the chain uncomfortably close to the paintwork...

Please excuse my ignorance but I don't understand this. As I (?mis-)understand it the chainline is the distance from the chainring to the centre of the seat tube. So why doesn't a longer bottom bracket giving an extra 4mm move the chainline OUT and therefore further from the paintwork?

« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 01:25:30 am by Danneaux »

Hoodatder

« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2016, 02:43:12 pm »
Seems to me possible, even likely, that an extra 4mm on the chainline will bring the chain uncomfortably close to the paintwork...

Please excuse my ignorance but I don't understand this. As I (?mis-)understand it the chainline is the distance from the chainring to the centre of the seat tube. So why doesn't a longer bottom bracket giving an extra 4mm move the chainline OUT and therefore further from the paintwork?

I will risk sticking my newly informed and educated neck out here. :-[

Andre was referring to the paintwork on the seat stay of an RST. I wanted to fit a Chainglider and very late in the thread, martinf "rescued" the situation by informing us that fitting a Chainglider was desperately close to the seat stay on his RT and would be even closer on an RST. By also fitting a splined 18t sprocket this would increase the chainline centre taking it NEARER to the seat stay. By also increasing the sprocket centreline, one increases the chainring chainline, hence the proposed increase in the BB to maintain a perfectly straight chain. It has been the seat stay that has been the "rub" in the last few posts.

Did I get it right Dad? ;)

Hoot
« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 01:25:40 am by Danneaux »

Donerol

« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2016, 04:12:21 pm »
Thank you - I was forgetting about the inside of the chainstay.

(from bear of little brain  ;D )
« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 01:25:49 am by Danneaux »

martinf

« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2016, 09:26:27 pm »
I rather suspect I'll be the last Rohloffie to give up the threaded sprockets

Maybe not. Following my recent discovery of inadequate Chainglider clearance on my bike if I fit a splined sprocket (thanks to Hoodatder for raising the issue), I will probably order a 17T threaded spare for when my current 16T wears out and forego the advantage of easy sprocket removal on tour.

I don't mind replacing a sprocket and bottom bracket (after the current parts have done reasonable mileage), but am not keen on butchering a Chainglider.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 01:26:09 am by Danneaux »

Andre Jute

« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2016, 10:11:36 pm »

I'm here talking about the paintwork on the inside of the seat stay. If the chainline is increased (a bigger number) the chain comes closer to the inside of the seat stay.

But Dave Whittle has already tried the new Rohloff adapter and sprockets on various Thorn models and found there is enough space.

You should be aware that most of the talk here about tight space (including my remark quoted above) is only about the fitment of the popular Chainglider, and affects only a few particular models and sizes of Ravens. It seems to me the matter has been blown out of proportion, though it is of course of interest to the affected owners. The Chainglider is a desirable extra, but it is only that, a convenience extra, not an essential component to the function of your bike, which if you read the threads you will discover is also the attitude of the affected owners. To be blunt, a Chainglider is a means of keeping his hands clean for the cyclist who already has everything else, and a tool in the one-upmanship of incredible mileages on a single chain. Newbies should instead concentrate on fundamentals, like fit, security at home and on tour, luggage, safety as in lamps. I know all about that; I can vividly remember when I first came into cycling obsessing for months about parts that now I wouldn't have on my bike if I were dead.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 01:26:20 am by Danneaux »

mickeg

« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2016, 10:15:15 pm »
Looking at how to split the thread with minimal modification to the posts already made....
[...annnnnd, done]

All the best,

Dan.

You might want to change the title of this thread to something like - New Splined Sprockets, Chainline, Fitting Chaingliders on Splined Sprocket Bikes, Etc.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 01:26:30 am by Danneaux »

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2016, 10:45:59 pm »
You might want to change the title of this thread...
Excellent Idea, which I will execute later today. I just now dropped a 0.5l bowl of hot French onion soup in the kitchen and have a mess to clean.  :o :P   Half the contents went between the panels on the dishwasher door, so it won't be a simple mop-up.  ::)

All the best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 01:26:40 am by Danneaux »

macspud

« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2016, 12:30:54 am »
I wonder, would the Rohloff Splined-Carrier & splined sprockets, being 58mm chainline rather than 54mm, enable non-Rohloff Chainglider rear ends to be used with a Rohloff hub. If so it may increase the range of sprocket sizes and therefore gear ratios which can be used with a Chainglider.

Fingers crossed.

It would still be preferable for Hebie to make front ends available for a wider range of chainrings.

« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 01:26:53 am by Danneaux »

Dave Whittle Thorn Workshop

• Thorn Cycles
Re: Rohloff splined sprockets (and Chainglider fitment)
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2016, 12:18:49 pm »
being 58mm chainline rather than 54mm

57mm, its only a 3mm increase