Author Topic: Thorn Raven Tour Bike 500S Frame & 531 Forks  (Read 2576 times)

macspud

Thorn Raven Tour Bike 500S Frame & 531 Forks
« on: March 21, 2014, 01:13:46 am »
Thorn Raven Tour Bike 500S Frame & 531 Forks on ebay, not mine.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Thorn-Raven-Tour-Bike-500S-Frame-531-Forks-Ultimate-26-Wheel-Touring-Machine-/321356163692?pt=UK_Health_Beauty_Fragrances_Women_s_Fragrances_PP&hash=item4ad251ea6c

Not sure what they were thinking cutting the cable guides, worth a low offer maybe? seems over priced as is.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 01:22:02 am by macspud »

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: Thorn Raven Tour Bike 500S Frame & 531 Forks
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2014, 03:29:09 am »
Not sure what they were thinking cutting the cable guides, worth a low offer maybe?
Oh...dearie me. That is *not* the way to slot cable guides! So pretty otherwise.

I've slotted stops on some of my custom framebuilds both prior to and after brazing, but did it properly with minimal-width slots and smooth edges. These will present some ehm, "unique" challenges for the buyer. What a pity the seller has to deal with this issue not of his making.

Nice thing about eBay: The market finds its price. If overpriced, things won't sell. If underpriced, they sell for too little, making the buyer happy and seller sad. It will be interesting to see how this ends.

Best,

Dan. (...who thinks some "good ideas" may only seem that way until they're not)

macspud

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2014, 04:07:32 am »
Yup, they made a right pig's ear of it. I guess the Rohloff hub, cables and shifter were used on more than one bike and the slots were made for ease of swapping between bikes but were very poorly executed.
The frame might actually be a 512S though would have to find out the serial number to make sure, certainly not 500S as that is a new Raven size and not a Raven Tour size.

sd

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2014, 09:29:51 pm »
1/ Price Ludicrous
2/ Previous owner was unwise in his modifications*!

Could the cable guides be reinstated?

[*Edited by Dan for language]
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 10:07:03 pm by Danneaux »

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2014, 10:06:47 pm »
Hi SD,

Yes, the modifications to the cable guides were unwise, but evidently suited the original owner's needs to swap the Rohloff-hubbed wheel and control cables to another bike for use there. It would have been far better to have invested in a second shifter and cable set for the other bike and simply swapped rear wheels.

Remember, the current seller did not do the modifications.

Yes, replacing cable guides is a fairly quick and easy job for a framebuilder, but it will damage the paint/powdercoat, so primer or a respray would have to be figured into the cost.

Best,

Dan.