Author Topic: My first overnighter on my Thorn Nomad MK2 February 2014  (Read 2580 times)

nztony

My first overnighter on my Thorn Nomad MK2 February 2014
« on: June 02, 2014, 11:10:35 am »
Hello fellow Thorners,

I know this is back-to-front, as I have already posted my SECOND tour on my Nomad MK2, my ride from Auckland to Wellington, NZ done in March of this year.

However before this trip, I did a 4 day, 3 night, practice run over approx 300km.

I should have posted this ride first, but I was too keen to process the photos from my second tour, that these photos from my first tour remained unprocessed until now.

So, here it is, my first "mini" tour and first overnighter on my Thorn Nomad MK2:

http://nztony.smugmug.com/Upper-Hutt-to-Masterton-to-Pah/

Cycling on gravel roads - I felt like a ''proper'' touring cyclist.

Many thanks

Tony

John Saxby

Re: My first overnighter on my Thorn Nomad MK2 February 2014
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2014, 02:13:10 pm »
Great stuff, Tony -- a "proper" touring cyclist indeed!

nztony

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2014, 02:32:46 pm »
Many thanks John - I was enjoying the gravel road so much, that I was sad when the sealed road appeared again less than 5kms after it started. Same thing when I did my Auckland to Wellington trip - I had a gravel stretch for a little over 10kms and was sad when it ended.

rualexander

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2014, 02:55:30 pm »
Always good to see pics of NZ Tony.
Wondering why you didn't take the Nomad over the Rimutaka Incline Rail Trail instead of the main road over the hill? The rail trail is a great ride and nice DOC camping spot at the old station at the top.

nztony

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2014, 03:09:34 pm »
Rualexander,
I haven't been brave enough to venture too far off road yet and do the Rimutaka Incline Rail Trail, as I have seen other cyclists photos of it and it looks quite a mission having to unload and reload all your panniers at every gate - I've read several people say this. One day I am thinking of riding to the top that you mention as a day ride to get a look and feel for the area. I haven't done an overnighter for two months now so I am getting itchy feet or is that pedals, to get out for at least one night minimum soon, but I have to pick my days carefully, as it is now winter down here in the Southern Hemisphere.

Don't be alarmed though - I will post photos of the Thorn overnighting in the wilds one of these days and I have a couple of places in mind.

Mt Climie at 846m - would take a lot of pushing on foot to get the Nomad up here though.... but who knows.

If I leave it a month or two, it will look like this.

Tony

jags

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2014, 04:17:11 pm »
lovely photos of your tour tony like your tent set up as well.
i still haven't ventured out to try out all my new gear probably I'm the worst cycle camper tourist you'll ever come across, but man i love having all the gear makes me feel like a true adventurer. ;)

jags.

nztony

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2014, 05:15:35 pm »
Thanks Anto,
That tent has served me well over many years:

Snow Aug 2011, so what better time to head out for a little adventure

I have bought a slightly smaller one for my bike, but it doesn't go up as easily as this one.
As for being the worst cycle camper tourist - my suggestion is to just go out for a one night tour only
to try the tent etc out and be back home within 24 hours. I've done several 24 hour trips (hiking) and
stayed out overnight and come home and the adventure has stayed with me for many years, for just a 24 hour
outing.
Tony

jags

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2014, 07:35:21 pm »
Hopefuly befofore the summer is out  Tony ;)

jags.

Parkesy

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2014, 10:55:06 am »
Im hoping to set out on a Sherpa in a few weeks. These look great. Not sure I'll be so adventurous witht he camping but who knows.