Author Topic: can you reccomend a cycle computer?  (Read 7112 times)

FrogPrince

• 60-something and loving it.
    • Cycle Somerset
Re: can you reccomend a cycle computer?
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2013, 05:23:02 pm »
I would echo what has been said above about basic Cateye Models. For £15.00 or so the Cateye 5 or 8 are very reliable, the battery lasts for years. I use one in addition to my GPS as its so easy to have basic functions like time/speed/milage displayed simply. I switch one between three different bikes and it gives me a simple log of my riding that I keep on my PC.
Sell your Clothes but keep your thoughts.

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2013, 06:05:45 pm »
I use a Cateye Adventure.
Took a bit of working out to set up and move from one setting to another.
Had it 9 months - no issues apart from when batteries went dead. Instructions say there should be warning flashing numbers and another symbol, but nowt came up. Just dead. I now carry x2 spare batteries in the bar bag.
I do like the altimeter. Thought it was a bit of over kill, but now pay attention to it for hills etc,

I would buy another one - so sums up my opinion.

Matt
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

Andre Jute

« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2013, 06:16:39 pm »
Five years after my last post on the subject, above, both my Sigma instruments, the 506 computer and the PC9 HRM, keep on soldiering on. If they were to die, I'd buy the same again. Nothing more about them needs saying.

sdg_77

• Hadrian's Wall and a Half
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2013, 07:14:19 pm »
I'll recommend the Cateye Enduro which is what I have on my Sherpa.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/cateye-enduro-cycle-computer/

I have the previous version,  inherited from my son when his bike was stolen but spare fitting kits are available:   http://www.wiggle.co.uk/computer-spares/

The heavy duty wiring is robust and avoids the need for a sender battery.  It is a simple to use device and does pretty much everything you need.

I also have had good experience with Polar computers,   but they are more 'sport' oriented and so possibly OTT for a tourer.

hope that helps
sdg.

wildrover

« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2013, 11:07:18 pm »
Just to add to this thread, I've really been enjoying my Garmin Edge 200.  Not so GPS-y as it sounds. 

No clock, no altimeter, but I like to load my trip into my computer later and look at my route on the street maps.  No wires, and I can mount my front wheel backwards, and it still gives me my speed and mileage ;D . (been there-done that).  I charge it with my Plug, USB or A/C and I can switch it between my  700c and 26" bikes without fuss.

Holly

onrbikes

« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2013, 11:10:02 pm »
We used the VDO 1 and liked them. It comes in wireless and wired.
Mainly picked them because they had the altitude feature and met a few other tourers who used them.

It did take a bit of getting used to but then again, I hate change

jags

« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2013, 11:26:19 pm »
yeah i'm unlucky with computers my polorcad200 was replaced twice on my spin yesterday it stopped working for some strange reason.on the sherpa i have a blackburn dont like it either.
i think the cateye computers are probably best well they used to be top's  i'm sure there better that the expensive junk i'm useing. ;D ;D

anniesboy

« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2013, 08:25:30 am »
+1 for Cateye Strada no buttons on the top ,but there is a risk of inadvertently zeroing it.

I use one on the front of my tandem and a wired Cateye Mity on the back.
My wife likes to know how far we have been and how far to go etc. 

Barry Webber

• On my green electric machine!
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2013, 02:49:49 pm »
Hello there,
I bought a Cateye Velo 8 which gave me a few problems in the wet.
It stopped working for a few days  a couple of times and also reset the Odometer with a battery change.
It was not possible to enter an ongoing mileage total.
Eventually it just stopped working.
After this I tried a Sigma BC1009 and this has worked very well with no problems so far.
It warned of a low battery last week but retained all the settings including the total mileage after the new battery was inserted.
If the total mileage figure is lost it is easy to re-enter the total.
My limited experience is that the Sigma has been a better product.

Barry.
22,000 miles of Ebike commuting and loving it!
Keep cycling! :-)