Author Topic: quick video.  (Read 5054 times)

jags

quick video.
« on: December 15, 2012, 04:24:21 pm »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZdyVKSssVM
this is  good on how to pack your bike but i ask is he carrying way to much stuff,
a bit over the top for my liking but each to there own .
what do you guys think.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: quick video.
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2012, 06:31:01 pm »
is he carrying way to much stuff, a bit over the top for my liking but each to there own
Hi jags!

I dunno...I am coming to think the amount and kind of stuff people carry is an individual thing ("each to their own", as you say). I know my cargo/equipment list continues to evolve even after some 35 years of riding...I've gone up, I've gone down...now I carry what I wish at the time and part of the fun is playing with the list, still learning as I go!

I never would have considered taking a *chair* of all things, but am looking forward to doing so on the next trip; it will mean I can actually sit at rest breaks where the pavement is too hot to do so without getting scalded. I hear a little voice in my head crying, "Softy!", but it looks pretty good. And, my tent has gotten enough larger to actually sit upright when bent at the waist, rather than just propping my head on an arm bent at the elbow. Do I need that extra space? Not when I'm asleep, but it is kind of nice to have. This is my first "real" fly tent, with a bug-tent inner. I'm looking forward to spending some nights in heavy Mosquito Country with that mesh, rather than sleeping with the 'bag hood drawn down and awakening with my lips swollen twice-size from bites the next morning.

At the same time, I'm putting the final touches on my SOL kit ( http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=4251.msg19599#msg19599 ) so I will have a (perhaps deliberate) option to camp on really long day rides. It amounts to an ultralight camping kit -- down sleeping bag, pad, ground cloth, Gore-Tex bivy-tent, meths or butane stove and pot set, dehydrated food to cook with boiled water in a freezer bag cozy, rain gear and some tights or a longsleeve jersey and a cap depending in weather -- that weighs in at no more than 3.6kg plus the bags to carry it. I'm hoping it will allow me more time sleeping outdoors overnight on impromptu adventures (which sounds a lot like "touring"). It is light enough to easily add for 300km+ days, and will give me the luxury of exploring my surroundings "at the other end" rather than making these rides an "out and back" affair. So often, I've ridden a couple-hundred kms from home...only to have to turn back; it would be much  nicer to stop and find that hidden waterfall or take those extra photos without being under a time restraint to head for home. The light down bag is good to exactly freezing (32°F/0°C) on my warm pad, or to about 25°F/-4C with the my father's ancient Gore-Tex bivy-tent (mine died after some 30+ years; his still has some use left in it). Here in the Willamette Valley, I'm set for about 9 months of the year; at altitude in the Cascade Mountains, perhaps the 5-6 months of the year when I'd be tempted to really use it.

The possibilities for a hot meal before turning in to a warm, dry bed and another hot meal on awakening has real appeal at the end of a long, hard day of riding. Moreso than turning back toward home for an equally long return ride with much left still unseen at the far end. In truth, the SOL kit is all I "really" need for an overnighter or a while bunch of them strung-together if I have access to food/water resupply.

I justify the SOL kit by telling myself "It's for emergencies", as I can't count on anyone being free from their schedules to come get me if there's a problem. The *real* reason for carrying it is the extra freedom it provides to go bike camping more frequently. An S24O (Sub-24hour Overnighter) is a real possibility and even makes for spur-of-the-moment fun when you've got basic kit already with you. Everything fits in my HB bag and rack pack, with the tiny tent laying across the rear rack, and is light enough to actually haul with me and not compromise my range much. If pressed, I *could* go for a couple weeks or a couple months on the same kit, assuming ready opportunities for water and food resupply. However, that would be a full-blown Tour, and I can readily tolerate a little privation in the short term that would begin to wear and chip away at me over much longer periods.

I'm becoming a two-mode tourist: For less than a couple weeks, I don't mind wearing the hair shirt a bit if it gets the job done -- light and fast. I content myself with the day's adventures and consider camp just a place to be unconscious and asleep in-between repacking the bike. On longer trips, I add a little luxury (i.e. sitting down in comfort and being able to sit up in the tent and actually simmer food on a stove rather than just boil water to add to a freezer bag in a pot cozy)...there's a sort of travel fatigue that sets in over time, and those little concessions to comfort come to mean a lot and keep me going farther, faster in the long run. <-- Man...I hope I'm not getting Old. I re-read what I just wrote, and wish I could take the words back. :-X "Chair"?!?  "Little luxuries"?!? Those words are new to my touring vocabulary.  ??? Huh, indeed!

My style and preferred locations for tours don't really lend themselves to "rest days" (limited supplies and few opportunities for restocking; blistering hot or freezing cold if I layover...and with nothing to do but sit and wait? Nah), so I keep going no matter the weather, and get my rest in other, little ways that sometimes add bulk and -- yes -- a little extra weight over the long haul.

Looking at this guy's stuff (and some of the things listed on his website), I see he's carrying some bulky things, including a Trangia cooker. Those kits are really nice, but can take up a lot of space -- sometimes a good part of a pannier -- depending on model. On the other hand, he's got room and fuel enough to cook available bulk foods like rice and/or beans without worrying about capacity.

And, too, he's going to be living on the bike for awhile (England to SE Asia), so I expect he has his "wants" covered as well as his needs. And, if he has overpacked, I expect he'll mail a bit home.

Thanks for the video link, jags; he did a nice job on it, and I enjoyed watching it.

All the best,

Dan.

ianshearin

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2012, 08:51:07 pm »
Great vid thanks for posting.

I dont have the experience to judge his set up but I do know I will be packing as much as the bike will take, I have always believed in luxury even when roughing it.
As Dan says its a very personal thing.

Reminds me of the weekend camping trips in Saudi, We used 4x4 vehicles to travel to some remote areas in the 'open quarter' I would take a complete table with candles, china crockery, nice wine glasses. Everyone thought I was mad with their solar light, plastic plates and water filters.... But my table was the one everyone gravitated to in the evening.....

Its all about personal choice and what makes you happy...

Anyone know where I can get candle holders for a Thorn?
In the end, it's not going to matter how many breaths you took, but how many moments took your breath away.
'shing xiong'

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2012, 09:12:14 pm »
Reminds me of the weekend camping trips in Saudi, We used 4x4 vehicles to travel to some remote areas in the 'open quarter' I would take a complete table with candles, china crockery, nice wine glasses. Everyone thought I was mad with their solar light, plastic plates and water filters.... But my table was the one everyone gravitated to in the evening.....
And quite so, Ian! Yours was the one with "atmosphere"! And the best conversation, I would imagine. After all...you were there!
Its all about personal choice and what makes you happy...
Absolutely, Ian! I'm behind you 100% on this.
Anyone know where I can get candle holders for a Thorn?
Mmmno. But living in 'Merka, I can tell you where to get gun-holders for your bike that are guaranteed to start conversations and add atmosphere of a different sort: http://www.cyclelicio.us/2008/11/gun-racks-for-bicycles.html My guess is you have something more like this in mind: http://media-cache-ec4.pinterest.com/upload/126452702008328436_ZHLgWFhx.jpg Here's some outdoors (stowable, unbreakable) nesting wine glasses to go with it: http://www.rei.com/search?query=wine+glasses

All the best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2012, 10:31:53 pm by Danneaux »

jags

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2012, 09:34:46 pm »
 ;D ;D very good dan not a bad idea mind you.
when i done the ireland tour i had four panniers ok i needed them because of the stuff i carried but i just did  not like the feel of the bike ,found the steering was all over the place at very slow speeds.
thats the reason i'm working hard at getting everything i need into two panniers no matter how long the tour ,and if a fella is clever enough he can be every bit as comfy just using rear panniers barbag.
and climbing hills is going to be so much easier and the quick packing up time is also a big bonus.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2012, 09:40:04 pm »
Just thinking a bit more about your touring/outdoors preferences, Ian...

D'ya know it is possible to carry "rear-sized" Ortlieb panniers on the front rack (as well as the rear)? As it happens, if they're BikePacker Plus models, they only cost about 1.5cm of ground clearance, and offer the possibility to carry lots of bulky stuff under cover. The weight limit for your racks/good handling remains the same, but they open a huge door for lighter-but-bulky stuff, including putting stuffed sleeping bags and rolled pads *inside*, under cover while still carrying stuff. Need that favorite puffy jacket along? Suddenly, its no problem. Find that can't leave it gift for someone? Get it!  

And don't forget...the Ortlieb Packer-series bags also have those wonderful top-cap lids that serve as extra covered storage pockets if you place your items in a stuff sack or nicely rolled beneath them. if you put rear bags on the front as well as rear, it is possible to tour with nothing atop the rear rack for a much lower center of gravity and improved handling -- these bags have enormous 40l capacity *before* adding the roll-top external pockets and they have built-in compression straps to keep smaller loads from rattling about in the bags till you need the extra capacity. I've dropped whole melons into mine at roadside produce stands, and even some smallish pumpkins early this Fall. They laugh at little loads like sacks of beans or rice and whole loaves of bread.

The weight is nearly the same as, say, SportPackers intended for small rear loads or for use on the front racks.

I have gone this route on occasion when I needed to resupply for a long stretch, but didn't want to take the time to break-down the food packaging on my groceries while still at the store -- just toss the lot in and go.

It might be a strategy worth considering if your loads run to the bulky side.
...the quick packing up time is also a big bonus
Right, jags! It also helps if you're not given to long, tidy packing sessions. I'm finding over time I prefer to get up 'n' go now, rather than spend time packing into the smallest possible package. I've found what's possible in the comfort of home is less appealing when the rain is bucketing down and I just want to get on the road and go before the open panniers catch it all and solve my water-carry problem for me.

When touring, carrying Less is usually More, just as jags says...but occasionally, it is nice to also have Room for Stuff. Reminds me of the late George Carlin's comedy masterpiece on the topic, viewable here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLoge6QzcGY There is some "naughty" language in the routine, so keep that in mind if children are present or for those so offended.

Just a thought.

Best,

Dan. (...whose motto is becoming "As needs be")
« Last Edit: December 15, 2012, 09:57:57 pm by Danneaux »

martinf

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2012, 07:00:53 am »
D'ya know it is possible to carry "rear-sized" Ortlieb panniers on the front rack (as well as the rear)?

I asked Thorn about this when I bought my Raven Tour and they advised against it on safety grounds (I have the Thorn low-loader front rack). So I got the 40L Bike Packer for the rear and the smaller Sport Packer for the front.

Probably a good thing, as it will make me think harder about packing, there is always the temptation to fill all available luggage space.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2012, 08:02:06 am »
I asked Thorn about this when I bought my Raven Tour and they advised against it on safety grounds
<nods> Yes, Martin; probably a good idea not to do it, as the bags do decline in clearance as the fork turns fully to the side (as a function of head angle and fork rake), and the deeper-riding, wider BikePackers could cause a snag as the rider leaned heavily from vertical, though they have worked well in practice for me occasionally (and carry melons really well!).

With 26x2.0 tires and the bike held vertically, ground clearance on Thorn's Low-Loader MkV racks is as follows:
SportPackers = 209mm
BikePackers = 175mm
For reference, a standard American curb/kerb is 165mm.

Don't want someone snagging a bag and getting hurt.

All the best,

Dan. (who thinks clearance is in the bag...and the rack)

ianshearin

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2012, 08:14:27 am »
Blimey Dan, you are a font of all knowledge.... :p

How can anyone actually find candlebars  :o

The advice I see a lot on keeping weight to a minimum on the front is well heeded, something I will think hard about over the coming Months.
In the end, it's not going to matter how many breaths you took, but how many moments took your breath away.
'shing xiong'

il padrone

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2012, 11:58:06 am »
thats the reason i'm working hard at getting everything i need into two panniers no matter how long the tour ,and if a fella is clever enough he can be every bit as comfy just using rear panniers barbag.
and climbing hills is going to be so much easier and the quick packing up time is also a big bonus.

Quote from: Nick & Richard Crane
“We cycled ultra-lightweight: no tent, no food, only one litre of water each. No support crew. Only one set of clothes. We snipped the labels out of our thermal underwear and cut the edges off our maps. Hopefully we were travelling light enough to battle over broken tracks in remote mountains and to buy food from families in the valleys as well as shelter from the intense sun, wind, dust and sub-zero temperatures. Altitude sickness, lung infections, dehydration, stomach upheavals and frostbite were all potential companions in the mountains. Thirst and hunger in the desert.

Cool if it suits your idea of enjoyable travel. For me it does not.

bikepacker

• Bikepacker
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2012, 03:59:04 pm »
i just did  not like the feel of the bike ,found the steering was all over the place at very slow speeds.
and the quick packing up time is also a big bonus.

In my experience, I know compared to some it isn't a lot, putting all the weight on the back it lightens the steering making it more prone to wonder, especially during slow climbs.

Packing up quickly owes more to having a system than speed. I pack up quicker than most I tour with yet do not rush around like they do. Develop your own system.
If you want to be happy learn to be alone without being lonely.
If you want to enjoy the world see it from the saddle of a bike.
If you want to experience beauty camp alone in a spectacular place.
If you want release your anxieties cease excuses and take actions.

jags

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2012, 04:30:05 pm »
never be able to go that light il padrone i do like my comfort as well .
when i used just rear panniers i felt the steering to be fine the front panniers were a disaster for me to be honest.
i think the problem with packing panniers is BULK my sleeping system is  good great even but its just takes up to much valuable room in the pannier .
i'm looking to buy the thermarest neo air i think that packs very small  also better down sleeping bag is on the list.
i reall would love to try a carbon front fork on my sherpa or even a lightweight steel fork with lighter wheels and tires. i reckon it would change the whole feel of the sherpa for the better.
but unless i win the lotters i can only guess as to how it would feel ;)

il padrone

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2012, 11:21:11 pm »
In my experience, I know compared to some it isn't a lot, putting all the weight on the back it lightens the steering making it more prone to wonder, especially during slow climbs.

Packing up quickly owes more to having a system than speed. I pack up quicker than most I tour with yet do not rush around like they do. Develop your own system.

+1 to all this.

Front panniers, especially on low-rider racks make the bike much more stable and easier to handle, even on tough climbs and rough tracks. That's been my experience over the past 30 years.

BTW, apart from the extra stuff-sack on the front rack, the load the guy has in the OP is almost exactly what I carry on moost extended touring (including trips of 3-4 days in the bush). On my Red Centre tour I had this sized load, plus the Extrawheel.

I have a routine for packing that makes it very simple by reducing the thinking needed. I treat my bags like rooms - one rear pannier is the 'bedroom', the other is the 'kitchen' and 'wardrobe'. Both front panniers are the 'larder' - breakfast and lunch on the left, dinner on the right. First Aid and the 'workshop' are there as well. The rack-top bag is the 'accommodation'. I've been doing this for over 15 years now and it saves me a lot of time packing up. I often start packing after my friends but invariably am first ready to roll out.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 12:36:03 am by il padrone »

bikepacker

• Bikepacker
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2012, 11:18:04 am »
Personally if I were doing less that 20 days a year cycle camping (I have averaged 57 days a year for the last six years) or tackling Alpine climbs (which next year I shall do both) I would not be the least concerned about weight. Anyone who argues that four loaded panniers makes for a less stable bike has not done much fully laden bike touring. I tried two pannier touring for one short trip earlier this year and went back to four.
If you want to be happy learn to be alone without being lonely.
If you want to enjoy the world see it from the saddle of a bike.
If you want to experience beauty camp alone in a spectacular place.
If you want release your anxieties cease excuses and take actions.

jags

« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2012, 04:02:07 pm »
obviously i need to tour more  ::)
ok i admit some of you lads need fully loaded bikes as your travelling into the wilderness and need to carry  everything, but most on here travel from one town to the other passing through villages in between .
so no need to be carrying the kitchen sink ;)o all i'm saying with very careful planning on the packing would you not think a much lighter load and lighter bike would make for a much easier ride.