Author Topic: Sherpa vs eXp  (Read 6232 times)

mervynyan

Sherpa vs eXp
« on: December 18, 2008, 07:55:21 pm »
I noticed the eXp 1899 is gone, instead of Sherpa starting at 899. So I am wondering if top-end Sherpa expedition (option 4) is as good as eXp.
Best,MY

bobs

Re: Sherpa vs eXp
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2008, 08:34:33 pm »
I don't know if it is better but the Sherpa is a very good bike.

jawj

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2008, 02:45:02 pm »
The eXp is now an option on the Sherpa.

Take a look towards the end of the Sherpa brochure: there is now the option to have your Sherpa's frame handbuilt in Bridgwater for an extra £1100, thus effectively making it an eXp.

Unless you have very specific needs (or money literally falling out of your pockets and need to spend it urgently) I don't think it makes sense to go for the eXp option as the Sherpas on offer look to be brilliant specs for the money and the frames will certainly be very nice quality indeed (if the Raven Nomad frame I bought is anything to go by).
« Last Edit: December 19, 2008, 02:50:07 pm by jawj »

spoon boy

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2008, 10:54:11 am »
I have read the thorn catalouge to the point it's imprinted in my eyes

I think the sherpa  is excellent value for money

I love the idea of the rohloff and I'm sure that any bike with that fitted would do the job no worries but

I think any bike thorn makes will do the job from the cheaper to the more exspensive so it's a budget range that can tempt many

That said The sherpa with derailleur will be more than capable for my trip

so bike choice sorted..

bobs

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2008, 04:25:37 pm »
Good choice, be sure and send some photo'S when you get it.
When I got my Sherpa I bought the frame and fork and built up the bike using parts from other bikes I had, Ended up with a great bike for the cost of the basic one.

Bob

spoon boy

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2008, 10:15:17 pm »
Well I am now with travelling wheels

Some may have recently seen a red sherpa with a very basic spec on ebay, I bought it.

I have such faith in thorn and thier products that the simplicity of the kit along with the high quality of what thorn produce has instilled me with much confidence.

The route is

Spain, France, Italy, Slovenia, Croatia, Bosnia, Serbia, Albania, Greece, Turkey, Syria, Isreal, Egypt, Libya, Algeria, Mauritania, SenegalGuinea, Ivory coast, Ghana, Togo, Nigeria, Cameroon, Congo, Angola, Namibia, South africa, Mozambique, Tanzania, Kenya, Ethiopia, Sudan, Egypt, Jordan, Saudi arabia, Kuwait, Iraq, Iran, Pakistan, India, Nepal, Tibet, China, Vietnam, Loas, Thailand, Cambodia, Malaysia, China, Korea, Russia, Alaska, Canada, U.S.A. , Mexico, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicuragua, Costa rica, Panama, Columbia, Ecuador, Peru, Chile, Argentina, Uraguay, Brazil, Guiana,Suriname, Guyana, Venezuala, Panama, Costa rica, Honduras,Guatemala, Mexico, U.S.A. , Canada, Alaska, Russia, Khazakhstan, Russia, Ukraine, Poland, Slovakia, Checkoslovakia, Germany, Belgium, France then back to old blighty

My trip is not sponsored, not planned like a military campaign and will inevitably provide me with many experiences of a lifetime

I will of course carry some sensible spares

For now as the chrimbo sales happen with the last items being bought and the last of the jabs finished and with the sherpa sitting resplendent in my bedroom and red, I go to bed a happy man

I feel in my heart of hearts that the thorn will not let me down and the test for the thorn will be is the basic bike upto it.. I feel it is.. and I can't wait

ians

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2008, 10:49:15 pm »
blimey .... good luck.

ians

bobs

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2008, 10:54:14 pm »
Well done, the good thing about the Sherpa you bought is that it didn't cost too much giving you the money to change things when they need replacing. This can be done anywhere so should not be a problem. One posible upgrade you should consider is the wheels because money spent here will be well spent.

Good luck  Bob

spoon boy

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2008, 01:22:34 am »
upgrades already commencing

Thorn themselves fitted for me a brooks b17 and thier front and back expedition racks as serious weight is being carried

Spare items such as upgraded cranks/bottoms sets are being sought and sourced

4 ortlieb 40 litre panniers and bar bag had been bought and paid for

6.5W Sunlinq portable folding solar charger for charging ipod/phone/netbook/razor etc

Terra nova vogager  is being sought and a down sleeping back also

Msr Sweet Water Micro Water Filter ideal for one person has been ordered

jabs have been almost finished

and of course all the usual items and accessories have been ordered/bought or sought.

I have to stress though none of this would have not been planned or so very much looked forward to unless I had confidence in my bike.. my lovely red sherpa

peter jenkins

« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2008, 12:30:15 pm »
Hi Spoon Boy,

I've followed this thread with some interest and have to say I am most envious.

Something I'd like to know is whether you intend using drop bars or flat/trekking bars for your adventure.  I did LEJOG on drop bars ( on my Club Tour) but rode practically all of it 'on the drops' and it occurred to me once or twice while descending steep hills in the rain that I may have been better off on flat bars. They definitely offer (me, at least) better control while braking in tricky conditions, so I am naturally curious to learn what a 'real' tourist thinks about this.

Regards,

pj

spoon boy

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2008, 11:43:49 am »
Hi Peter

most of my cycling life has been with flat bars however after trying some time on the drop bars I found the flexibilty of positions okay

I think this really is one of those desriptions of what ever suits you

vik

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2009, 05:07:33 pm »
Good luck with your tour.  If your travels in Canada take you through Calgary, Alberta drop me a line at threeohm "at" gmail "dot" com.  You are welcome to crash at my place and use my tools/laundry/internet/etc...  If the timing is good I may even be able to jump on my Thorn and join you for a few days on the road.

BTW - any other touring Thorn owners are also welcome to use my place as a rest/repair stop.

safe riding,

Vik
www.thelazyrando.com
Safe riding,

Vik
www.thelazyrando.com

jags

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2009, 06:57:18 pm »
spoon boy best of irish luch with your big adventure ,hope you have a blast.
that was a very generous offer by vik , let's hope you meet plenty of vick's on your journey.
so where is the photo of this lovely red sherpa,and of course yourself .

spoon boy

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2009, 07:10:19 pm »
Vik

What a gent, the washine machine bit looks like a sexual object when your clothes are unwashed for sometime

your a scholar sir

I'll be checking into thorn when doing updates and info's so closer to it will definately be on the lost

when I can sort out the pics and how to paste them on here I will do..

the sherpa is brilliant value

mervynyan

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2009, 12:06:09 am »
I went to BWT two weeks ago and order a Sherpa Black World Tour Option 2, can't wait to collect it in mid March. :D