Author Topic: Wheel /brakes on my Raven tour.  (Read 1708 times)

peddles

Wheel /brakes on my Raven tour.
« on: August 03, 2014, 01:01:53 pm »
I’ve just fitted new Rigida Andra CSS wheels and I note that the depth (or do I mean width) of the rim is significantly wider/deeper than a brake block. Where should I position the block for optimum braking/wear? Is the wheel stronger where it goes around the corner toward the spokes?  Any advice please.

jags

Re: Wheel /brakes on my Raven tour.
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2014, 02:55:41 pm »
it has i would image the same braking surface as any other rim so couple mm down from top of rim.

triaesthete

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2014, 03:19:09 pm »

It is unusually wide. On mine I set the pads as low as possible.

My reasoning being that should the brake track wear smooth or lose the hardened surface I could raise the pads and get some more wear out of the untouched part of the rim. Haven't needed to yet though as they are practically bullet proof.

So far these with V brakes have been the best, most consistent, least fade prone on big hills and by far the lowest maintenance brake system I've tried.

Happy days
Ian

Slammin Sammy

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2014, 03:25:19 pm »
The Andra has a 13.5mm braking surface. I would put the block in the centre if at all possible, and aligned with the tangent (angle) of the rim at that point. See http://www.bikestation.fi/shop/images/medium/rigida/rigida_andra_30_black_CSS_MED.jpg (I couldn't find the section view on the SJS site.)

Having said that, I've mounted Magura HS33 rim brakes, which do not have sufficient reach (especially in the rear) to centre the blocks on my Nomad and they sit uncomfortably near the outside (tyre side) of the track. This is not a problem for wear (the rim wall is quite thick, and the CSS treatment will outlast me), but as the pads wear and I adjust the shoes to get closer to the rim, the sidewall of the tyre (26x2.0 Dureme) just barely touches the brake pad holder (enough to make a slight noise, but not to impart any friction). I am working on a fix which involves shaving/grinding a tiny corner off the brake block (no loss or braking surface or effectiveness). Otherwise, the brakes are superb.