Community > Rohloff Internal Hub Gears

First oil change

(1/6) > >>

Andyb1:
Just in the process of doing my first Rohloff oil change, on a one year old gearbox, and I am surprised by how black the old oil is compared with the new.   It looks like well used oil from a diesel engine!   Or a graphite oil.  Do they use a black oil with new gearboxes or is this change to blackness usual?
Thanks in advance.

JohnR:
In my experience the used Rohloff oil looks filthy with the first few flushes having a noticeable metallic glint.

rafiki:
On all of mine I did the first oil change at 2000km. I recall it was still pretty black even after that distance.

WorldTourer:
I just did my Rohloff oil change. This is probably about the tenth time. The old oil is black, but it has always been black. So, I wonder if the oil color is even indicative of the degree of dirtiness inside the hub. Could the black color just be due to the admixture of the two different types of oil, i.e. cleaning oil and lubrication oil? Or could the oil be tinted by some of the nylon components inside the hub?

mickeg:
I agree with the others, it looks quite used. 

I did my first oil change earlier than specified.

Since Rohloff has such an exceptional reputation for long life, I would not worry about how bad it looks.  My point is that if you have any urge to change oil more often than suggested, I would not bother with that.

If you were unaware, earlier on this forum someone noted that Rohloff has reduced their suggested amount of lube oil in oil changes, thus new bottles of lube oil may look surprisingly low on volume, but the cleaning oil volume remains the same as the past.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version