Author Topic: What do you do over the Christmas holiday?  (Read 11281 times)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: What do you do over the Christmas holiday?
« Reply #45 on: December 25, 2013, 07:47:58 pm »
I'm continually amazed at where some of the fellows here choose to live, and where they choose to cycle.
Perhaps the greatest part of it is an accident of birth, Andre, and tracking on from there as one gets locked in to schooling, work, and social connections. I have at times fervently wished my parents had birthed me in sunny San Diego County, California, but alas. I chose them wisely otherwise and it could have been worse.

I lived for a year in rural northern Mississippi and frequently trekked to Memphis, TN. Early Spring and late Fall were pretty and nice, but oh the summer heat and humidity, when it was sometimes 36°C and 97% RH in July. Whew. I returned to Oregon at Christmas break and stepped into ankle-deep snow. My thought each time: "People actually choose to live here?!?"

All the best,

Dan. (...who would live all over if he could and sees freezing fog outside the window at the moment)

NZPeterG

• It's Great to Be Alive! Again! Go Cycle. . . . . .
    • Kiwi Pete's Cycling Safari
« Reply #46 on: December 25, 2013, 08:14:25 pm »
Andre,

Pete,

You have a mean streak. ;D

Tom

Hi I do Not!
It is mid Summer and time to write and talk about Summer!
When its Winter Time! Talk about Winter?
You all talk about Summer in the Mid of Winter? are you all mad!
Winter is always in the mid of the year! I have been to the UK in June/July and it was cold!
Yes I live in Godzone and i'm Lucky, But almost anyone can move here.
Its Summer, have Fun in the Sun.

Pete.....

The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common[

http://kiwipetesadventures.tumblr.com/

http://kiwipetescyclingsafari.blogspot.co.nz/

Looked after by Chris @ http://www.puresports.co.nz/
For all your Rohloff and Thorn Bicycle's in NZ

jags

« Reply #47 on: December 25, 2013, 09:23:37 pm »
Yeah if a fella was in his 20's  maybe a move would be in order especially the way things are here in Ireland.
my son loves Auckland only a month left on his visa but i reckon he will try and move there permanent some day.
as for weather in Ireland to be honest it never gets really bad only rains about four times a year 3 months at a time,seldom do we get heavy snow and if we do we just close the place down until it melts,yeah we might be green but we are not stupid. ;D ;D

Andre Jute

« Reply #48 on: December 26, 2013, 12:12:20 am »
...in Ireland ... it ... never only rains about four times a year ... 3 months at a time

That's we they call it "the green and beloved isle", Jags.

But the climate, except for being wet, is temperate. There are places in the Mediterranean that are colder...

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #49 on: December 26, 2013, 12:59:12 am »
Eeek we are moving, the house sold and we have rented an apartment. So every day it's lugging stuff from point A to point B. At least we have a month to get through it! My sweetheart has been in this house for 17 years, raising her son. Stuff stuff stuff!

Today was my first ride from the new starting point!

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/337799611

I tried a rail trail. Egads, not the best idea! The roads are 99% clear but from lack of traffic or lack of sun, it was ice and snow the whole way. I didn't have to get off and push too much, but it did happen. Definitely pushed the limits of the Marathon Winter tires! Good enough on the harder stuff but... in snow maybe 3 to 6 inches, sort of a powder with a crust on top... really tough slogging! At least for me.

Anyway it was fun to be on a new road. I lived further south, in Poughkeepsie, in the 1980s, and would ride not too far from there but that was just a bit out of my usual. From Woodstock, again, just a bit far. Now, it could be a standard loop. Except that rail trail! The obvious alternative, Rt 32, is too busy for my taste. A nice excuse for further exploration!

il padrone

« Reply #50 on: December 26, 2013, 02:31:54 am »
Going up the Tambo Valley to Omeo, then along the Limestones Rd to the Cobberas for a bit of walking and exploration. Returning to Bairnesdale via Gelantipy and Buchan then the East Gippsland Railtrail. Country towns, bush camping and the wilderness of The Cobberas National Park.

http://www.bikemap.net/en/route/2380880-limestones-loop/

« Last Edit: December 26, 2013, 02:40:49 am by il padrone »

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #51 on: December 26, 2013, 03:23:32 am »
Going up the Tambo Valley...
Very good, Pete! Looks like you'l be in some State Forest lands, and it surely is scenic. Very nice views along the river.

'Hope you have a wonderful time and some nice Adventures along the way.

All the best,

Dan.

Slammin Sammy

« Reply #52 on: December 26, 2013, 11:49:37 am »
Going up the Tambo Valley to Omeo, then along the Limestones Rd to the Cobberas for a bit of walking and exploration. Returning to Bairnesdale via Gelantipy and Buchan then the East Gippsland Railtrail. Country towns, bush camping and the wilderness of The Cobberas National Park.

I'm jealous, Pete! I'm stuck here on BBQ and family duty until next week, and back to work the week after.

Have a magic trip, and post some more of your marvelous photos!

Sam

FrogPrince

• 60-something and loving it.
    • Cycle Somerset
« Reply #53 on: December 30, 2013, 02:46:08 pm »
Christmas Colours on Dartmoor.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 02:48:54 pm by FrogPrince »
Sell your Clothes but keep your thoughts.

jags

« Reply #54 on: December 30, 2013, 04:46:20 pm »
lovely pic's looks like tough cycling country loads of hills. ;D

John Saxby

« Reply #55 on: December 30, 2013, 05:19:07 pm »
Christmas Colours on Dartmoor.

Lovely countryside, & so nice to see greenery and bracken in December.

Pretty much just blue (sky) and white (loadsa snow) here today, sunny & bright but seriously cold with a hard northwesterly blowing, windchill -30 or so.  Snow very squeaky when you walk on it, & lotsa bad comments going down--don't get sozzled on New Year's Eve & fall asleep in a snowbank or you might not wake up. (Not a joke!) 

Some great X-country skiing on Boxing Day, just 10 kms round trip for the first outing of the year to a public cabin in the Gatineau Park, light the stove (I was the first one there that day), cuppa tea and a Ritter Sport choc bar, warm up & assemble in reverse order.  More to follow later this week but not today, -25 is my cutoff point 'cos you just never quite warm up & ice on the beard isn't much fun...

jags

« Reply #56 on: December 30, 2013, 05:23:40 pm »
God John you've a hard auld life all the same ;D ;D

i went out today only got 11 miles in ,first spin in 6 weeks or so. man i nearly died sure miss being off the bike.i used to love winter training but that was  many years ago i'm getting lazy for sure need a good kick up the arse. ::)

jags.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #57 on: December 30, 2013, 05:45:29 pm »
Wonderful photos, greatly enjoyed!

Nice day too, John!

Best,

Dan.

Andre Jute

« Reply #58 on: December 30, 2013, 07:16:44 pm »
Used to hike over Dartmoor. Lovely photos. Thank you so much for posting them.

FrogPrince

• 60-something and loving it.
    • Cycle Somerset
« Reply #59 on: December 30, 2013, 08:28:12 pm »
lovely pic's looks like tough cycling country loads of hills. ;D

"when the road gets tough the tough get going"...........but on foot this time  :)
this is the old tramway near Haytor. Horse-drawn wagons, using this track, used to haul out the quarried granite.
Sell your Clothes but keep your thoughts.