Author Topic: Sprung Brooks to Carradice suggestions  (Read 2367 times)

in4

Sprung Brooks to Carradice suggestions
« on: May 12, 2014, 03:47:40 pm »
Anyone come up with a work around to attach a Carradice Camper longflap or similar to a sprung Brooks saddle? The Brooks B17 comes with metal loops ready for a saddlebag but my Conquest doesn't. Attaching via the springs works to an extent ( supporting the saddle bag on a rack ) but there is considerable horizontal movement.
Thanks

mickeg

Re: Sprung Brooks to Carradice suggestions
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2014, 04:57:01 pm »
I also use a Conquest and will use a Nelson Long Flap on a trip in about 10 days.

The ends of the bottom of my bag will sit on the rear panniers when I put the straps on the upper most loop of the coil spring loops, so that is what I plan to do.

I think that there is a Thorn T Bar for this purpose, but I do not know how well the rear of the saddle bracket (the part between the coil springs) clears it, the bag might set a bit low.
http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/thorn-accessory-bar-t-shaped-1725-mm-extension-45-deg-prod22924/?geoc=us

If you find a better option, I am most interested to learn.

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2014, 05:02:59 pm »
I use the Brooks SQR mount. Nowadays I have a SuperC saddlebag on there but here is a photo with a Junior saddlebag:

« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 05:04:30 pm by JimK »

in4

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2014, 09:52:33 am »
Thanks for the replies, much appreciated. Whilst the sqr mount is a neat solution; I like the points of support it offers, I am wondering whether it will be strong enough to take a camper longflap with a bit of weight in it. More reasearch I think. The Thorn option on the other hand looks pretty robust and I do like the two points of support it offers on a horizontal plane, not sure how the central lower strap attaches to it or something else. Additionally, some might find the fact that the bag is held slightly awway from the saddle a good thing, again I'm not so sure. Perhaps the 'reach around' proximity of the sqr solution is a good thing. Hmm. Either way I think I need/prefer the support offered by a rack for the Camper longflap.