Author Topic: Please But Safe on the Roads  (Read 1438 times)

NZPeterG

• It's Great to Be Alive! Again! Go Cycle. . . . . .
    • Kiwi Pete's Cycling Safari
Please But Safe on the Roads
« on: April 29, 2013, 06:52:54 am »
Hi All,

Please be Safe on the roads around the World.

Here is a TVNZ look at who is winning (No One!) on the Roads in New Zealand.

http://tvnz.co.nz/sunday/2013-04-28-video-5420144

It's Sad as once the roads around New Zealand where a Safe place to Cycle! after watching this last night on TV I have started to think about Selling off My "Tom" and Buying a Car again?

Before the talk about the Lady Who was Killed close to Taupo! (I live in Taupo) they are talking about her and to Her Family

She was Killed by a Truck Driver who WAS a Subby on the same Project that I have been working at for the last year (until last week) and I could Not talk about it because we where asked not too.

Sorry

Are the Roads like this in the UK and USA How?

A Sad Pete

:(

« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 06:57:32 am by NZPeterG »
The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common[

http://kiwipetesadventures.tumblr.com/

http://kiwipetescyclingsafari.blogspot.co.nz/

Looked after by Chris @ http://www.puresports.co.nz/
For all your Rohloff and Thorn Bicycle's in NZ

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: Please But Safe on the Roads
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2013, 07:35:50 am »
Truly horrifying and oh-so-very sad, Pete.

I am both interested and dismayed to see such changes have hit New Zealand. This video could have been made about things I see on my own daily rides here in my Oregon city, as cars often don't leave enough room when passing -- or even seem to see me. It is particularly scary when cars cross the white line onto the shoulder. When I see it happening in my eyeglasses-mounted rearview mirror, I will sometimes leave the road for the ditch as the car roars past where I was moments before.

I am really careful to follow all bicycle traffic laws, ride as far to the right as possible, and am careful to stop completely at stop signs and signal my turns so I can be as predictable as possible to stack the cards in my favor. I also wear my bright high-viz clothing and readily concede my deserved right of way if it means I'll be around to ride another day. I've conceded a lot of my rights at times, but have always been glad I did. I don't want to be "dead right" and know I will always come out the loser in a car-bike collision.

As for confronting motorists...I rarely do. If a "road rage" incident is sparked I will again come out the sad loser.

The main problem here for drivers and cyclists is either ignorance of the applicable traffic laws or failure to obey them, making for unpredictability in the traffic stream. I think the core problems revolve around being distracted, in too big a hurry, and a general lack of empathy for the plight of others.  Due to economic woes that make for a lack of court funding, we have little if any police traffic-law enforcement here, and that has led to all road users becoming more careless.

I keep telling myself the majority or drivers and riders must be doing pretty well else I wouldn't be alive to write this. Still, it only takes a few bad apples to make the whole lot appear rotten, and I have to admit some cyclists' behavior borders on asking for it -- blowing stop signs, weaving in and out of traffic, baiting drivers, lane-splitting, riding the wrong way against traffic, all risky behaviors that increase the chance of problems with the best of drivers and give cyclists a bad name in the eyes of many. Similarly, driving distracted or impaired or full of rage presents the most frightening of hazards to even the most responsible cyclist who isn't protected by layers of steel and airbags.

I think it comes back to a generally higher level of impatience and anger than we've seen previously, perhaps fueled by greater stressors and pressures including overscheduling and impatience. Most of all, I think it comes back to a lack of empathy and compassion, a failure to put oneself in the place of another. Usually, no matter the attitudes going in, at least two lives are ruined by the events of a moment, and that's the greatest tragedy of all. I ride and I drive, and I'm feeling greater unease in both roles -- traffic is bad and getting worse. Several near collisions due to other drivers while I was behind the wheel left me shaken last week -- an illegal left turn, running a red light, and one person turning wide out of a parking lot and coming head-on at me for a time in my own lane. Yikes!

I'll still ride, but I'm being ever more careful as I cross the major intersections near my home; these have been named the worst in the area for frequency and severity of traffic accidents...and I have to go right through them to reach the open countryside beyond.

Best,

Dan. (...who longs for the days when he truly enjoyed driving and could fully relax and de-stress on the bike)

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2013, 01:47:35 pm »
So sorry to hear about this.

I cycle in Scotland UK and have to say the drivers are very considerate on the whole.
When on Islay last year I got fed up waving back at folk, it was that friendly.
Guess the cities could be different but out in the countryside cars slow down if they cant see past you on a bend.

Thoughts go out to those who lost loved ones

Matt
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2013, 05:26:26 pm »
When on Islay last year I got fed up waving back at folk, it was that friendly.
Trying for a little levity amidst the pain...

People wave here, but they rarely use all their fingers. Around town that is usually a Bad Thing, but in rural Eastern Oregon, an index finger raised briefly above the top of the steering wheel is considered a welcome sign of greeting equal to a full-on hand wave among cattle ranchers. Meaning depends on the finger and locale.

Best,

Dan. (...who thinks a wave is analog and a finger is digital)