Author Topic: Looking for some short reach compact drops  (Read 9427 times)

phopwood

Looking for some short reach compact drops
« on: March 25, 2015, 05:35:03 pm »
Hi,

In the past I have always struggled with drop handlebars, never seemed to be able to get comfortable.   I am not very tall so the top tube always seems to long for me. Until a few weeks ago, I dug out my specialized racing with a compact frame I managed to get the bike setup just right and can now ride it in comfort.  I put a much shorter stem on it, raised the bars, moved the levers, seat back etc etc

Anyway I am now thinking of drops on my RST, I brought a short frame so the top tube should be ok, and with a very short stem I should be able to match my requirement.

To my questions

I am looking for a short reach 70 - 75mm and compact drop about 125 - 130 mm what are my options, I can see lots of companies make offerings around this size so lots to choose from, do you have any opinions. 

I know I will need some brake levers suitable for V brakes again what are the options, leaning towards Tektro RL520 Drop Bar Brake Lever.

Rohloff changers can this be mounted on the drops or does it have to be mounted on a T bar. 

Sorry for the number of questions.

All the best.

Peter

Neil Jones

Re: Looking for some short reach compact drops
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2015, 05:54:39 pm »
Hi Peter,
Funnily enough I have just bought some compact drops for my Raven, I opted for Deda RHM01, I've yet to fit them but they seem to offer exactly what you're after and very reasonable too. I've also bought the Tektro levers you mention and I'm debating to go the whole hog and buy some Tektro Interrupter Brakes to give me the widest variety of braking options, Danneaux rates them very highly I seem to recall.
Looking forward to seeing your RST, it's a great bike for sure.
Regards,
Neil

phopwood

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2015, 07:21:38 pm »
Thanks Neil,

Wow they are very cost effective in Wiggle, but there is no sizing info on reach or Drop, do you happen to know the sizes.  I also had considered Tektro Interrupter Brakes.

Where are you going to mount your shifter.

I will get around to making the conversion in April some time as we are off on holiday next week.

All the best.

Peter

DAntrim

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2015, 07:27:59 pm »
I'll be changing from drops to straight bars and will be removing the Deda RHM01's, your welcome to them if you'r interested. Purchased from Halfords about 5 months back but hardly used, as the CX has been stored through the winter

Carlos

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2015, 07:29:20 pm »
I'm debating to go the whole hog and buy some Tektro Interrupter Brakes to give me the widest variety of braking options, Danneaux rates them very highly I seem to recall.
My ears are burning!  ;D

Yes, Neil, I've had really good experiences with the Tektro interrupter levers on multiple bikes now. Just be sure to check the listings carefully before ordering, as there are models specific to v-brakes and others specific to cantilevers. They also come in various clamp diameters. More here: http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=5363.msg28437#msg28437

For Peter, the OP: I am also a big fan of compact drop handlebars. As I've mentioned elsewhere on this Forum*, brake lever hoods have become longer, effectively lengthening reach. Compact drops have shorter ramps to compensate. They also commonly have more shallow drops, and I have found this makes the drops far more accessible and likely to be used. I've been pleased with the Bontrager (Trek) VR-C (a compact Maes bend) in a 44cm width and 26.0mm clamp diameter on my Nomad Mk2. Many similar designs are available on the market. Dedas are an excellent choice. Similarly, if you wish to have a bit more top-rise and drop-flare than a Maes bend can provide, randonneur-bend 'bars are a great option. I have them on all my...randonneur bikes. :D They are typically much narrower at the brake hoods than at the ends. My Nitto 45s are only 37 at the hoods. Much wider examples are now available from Velo-Orange. Our own John Saxby has been very pleased with the widest version on his Raven.

Whatever you get, be sure the stem and handlebar clamp diameters match: 25.4, 26.0, or oversize.

*Some related threads:
http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=8443.msg57205#msg57205
http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=5019.0
http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=8963.msg61933#msg61933
http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=5019.msg26677#msg26677
http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=10137.msg72337#msg72337

Peter...one last thought. If you change 'bars and are still struggling for reach, it is acceptable to fit a shorter-reach stem with drops. With the dimensions of my rando-tourers, I use 80mm stems. On Sherpa, I ran 100-110 with the short top tube on the 560S(hort) frame. On the Nomad's 590M(edium) frame (a Short top tube is not available), I use a negative-rise 60mm stem to good effect. I fitted the same to the 587S RavenTour loaned to me for last summer's tour by AndyBG. With stems to compensate, all these bikes fit me identically for reach and all resulted in great handling, loaded or bare. I have come to really like the combination of a longish top tube and shorter stem. More of my mass is within the bike's wheelbase and I feel like I ride "in" the bike rather than "on" it. Coupled with slightly bent arms for shock absorption, I get a nice 45° back angle that puts nearly equal weight on hands and seat. Shallow drops let me go much lower and achieve a horizontal back when battling stiff headwinds. Photos below show position. They also show the compact drops on the Nomad and the Thorn (Zoom) anatomic drops on Sherpa for comparision.

Best,

Dan.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2015, 07:46:42 pm »
I have a pair of fairly compact handlebars that split. They're 22.2mm OD throughout to allow a Rohloff shifter to slide on. Shims expand the center clamp section to fit a 25.4mm stem. Fairly heavy, they're thinwall steel(!), finished black with some minor surface scratching from a test-fit (never ridden, so don't know how they would work in practice). Don't think the mars would show with tape applied and shifter in place. 41cm c-c, opening drop of 120-135mm, reach 110mm, security bolt. As I recall, I got them awhile ago from Bike Friday's factory here in town. I have no idea who made them.

I really should think about selling, as it could be an ideal solution for someone wishing to mount a standard Rohloff shifter anywhere along the tops, right up to the shims, which are 43mm wide.

With drops, I've found I prefer a standard Rohloff twist-shifter mounted to a Thorn Accessory T-bar, either above the stem (my Nomad) or below (AndyBG's RavenTour). In practice, this seems to be as quick and convenient for me as the reach to bar-end shifters for a derailleur drivetrain. Even better: The T-bar mounting allows me to grasp the shifter like a doorknob. When pressed, I can spin through 7 shifts at a time.

All the best,

Dan.

sweats

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2015, 09:52:16 pm »
You could always try the patented "donkeys ear" changer pictured here with some FSA Omega bars

https://www.flickr.com/photos/noddingdonkey/14340511557/player/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/noddingdonkey/14340309750/in/photostream/player/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/noddingdonkey/12695686644/player/

Uses a DMR 31.8 water bottle clamp from ebay and a short length of drilled 1" diameter alloy bar. Nice and cheap!

Chris ;)
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 10:21:47 pm by sweats »

Neil Jones

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2015, 10:20:19 pm »
According to the Deda website the reach is 75mm (measured from straight bar to end of bend) and the drop is 130mm.

I have the shifter mounted to a Hubub clamp device mounted on the steerer, I can't comment on how it works in practice as I'm just in the process of changing some components ready for spring (I bought the bike secondhand). The Hubub looks a very neat way of mounting the shifter, I'll report back once it's used in earnest.

Neil.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2015, 02:26:15 am »
Complete thread on drop 'bars and Rohloff shifter options here: http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=4049.0

Best,

Dan.

phopwood

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2015, 07:42:25 am »
Thanks everyone for your input.  Looking at the info and pictures I feel I would be best mounting the shifter level with the drops on a t bar.  I say this as over the last few weeks I have spent more time on the drops than the tops.  But my testing on my specialized have been on rides less then 20 miles, so that may change as the distance gets longer with my RST.

Carlos I will send you a message about your bars, I may have a suitable swap for them.

I am not too concerned about the mounting diameter as I have to get a new stem to suit, as all my stems are for flat bars and would be way too long for this conversion. I have been looking at 50 or 60 mm.

Can the Tektro RL520 Drop Bar Brake Lever reach be adjusted, on some of the pictures it looks like the reach is very long.

All the best.

Peter

mickeg

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2015, 12:47:58 pm »
One often overlooked option is a travel agent on the V brake unit so that conventional brake levers can be used.  I wanted to use normal levers (not the long cable pull levers for V brakes) when I built up my Nomad, but the Nomad fork only works with V brakes.  I used a travel agent on it, works fine.  See photo.

Dan listed the link to the options for Rohloff shifter with drop bars, that is the best thread on the topic.  The photo at the top of page 11 of that thread (and also photo at bottom of page 10) shows interrupter levers on my drop bars on my Nomad.  You asked about ajustable reach on the long pull Tektro levers - I can't answer that question, but I can say that I have the short reach normal cable pull Cane Creek levers designed for smaller hands on my Nomad, also shown in the photo at this link.
http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=4049.msg46147#msg46147

I do not have small hands, but I bought those levers a couple years before I used them when they were on a clearance price.  I did not learn that they were the short reach version until I went to use them, the seller shipped the wrong ones to me.  I decided to try them and they work good enough that I did not bother to replace them.

Donerol

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2015, 11:22:54 pm »
Can the Tektro RL520 Drop Bar Brake Lever reach be adjusted, on some of the pictures it looks like the reach is very long.

No, it can't, and I found it too long for me. The problem was that the lever is 'ergonomically shaped' (shown here)and this made it worse, as I felt that my fingertips would slide off if it was at all wet. I have medium-sized female hands and it prbably wouldn't be a problem for most men.

I replaced them with Dia Compe 287V which are a bit uglier, and it is more awkward to replace the cables, but once fitted they work fine and are much more comfortable for me. They have a shorter reach and also the hood itself isn't so wide.

Far-Oeuf

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2015, 02:57:13 pm »
I am looking for a short reach 70 - 75mm and compact drop about 125 - 130 mm what are my options, I can see lots of companies make offerings around this size so lots to choose from, do you have any opinions.

I've just bought some Specialized 'Expert Alloy Road Bar', drop 123mm and reach 75mm.   The bar is flattened along the top, which may or may not be to your taste.   I have the Tektro levers mounted on them.

When looking for new bars I read that it was difficult to fit the Tektro levers to the Deda bars, as they didn't sit in the bend properly.  No idea if that is true or not.

cheers

John Saxby

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2015, 05:24:12 pm »
Hi Peter,

A few notes to follow up Dan's earlier post on randonneur bars, and the Rohloff shifter on a T-bar.

1)    Bars & brake levers:  I have fitted my 2013 Raven with VO Grand Cru randonneur bars, the widest VO offer, 50 cms centre-to-centre at the flared drops. To these, I've fitted Tektro RL520 levers, as recommended by Thorn Cycles. Have attached a photo below of my setup.

This combination works very well for me.  Some of the main points--I recognize that my measurements/requirements may differ from yours, of course:

>  My default riding position for my hands is on the upper & outer part of the curve of the rando bars, a few cms back of the hoods. My bars measure 45 cms outside-to-outside at that point. I have wide shoulders, and found other bars brought my hands closer together than was comfortable.  I have also inserted gel pads on the bars underneath my Cinelli Gel bar tape, not so much because I want to damp out road buzz (my Marathon Supremes are pretty good at that), but because I find "fat" bars easier to hold for long distances than skinny ones.

>  When I ride with my hands in my efault position, I can slide them forward to the hoods for braking. From the back of the hoods, I can easily reach the tops of my Tektro levers with my index & middle finger, and find this is enough for most of my braking. I have oddly-sized hands: I take a Large glove, as I have a large palm, but my fingers are more like Medium.

>  These are the additional measurements on my bars. (No idea if these are "compact"):

(i)  vertical drop of 14 cms from the top of the bars immediately behind the hoods to the top of the flared drops below

(ii) from the same point, a vertical line downwards immediately behind the hoods,  it's 6.5 cms to the back side of the mid-point of the forward curve of the drops -- right about where the red Bike-Brake band sits in the photo below

(iii)  there's 5 cms of straight fore-and-aft bar exiting the upper-outer curve of the backs, to the back of the hoods

>  I have my bars mounted higher than the nose of my saddle -- enough that my hands in my default position are 110 mm above the sitzplatz on my Brooks. The upwards bend of the rando bars contributes to this of course. A little to my surprise, I've found that, because the bars are relatively high, I often ride in the drops just to change position--they're accessible, and comfortable.  Of course, braking is easy from this position.  On other bikes with other bars, I used the drops only in headwinds.

2)   Positioning the Rohloff shifter: My shifter is on a Thorn T-bar with a 55mm reach.  That placement is fine for me.  This year, however, I've changed the alignment slightly.  Originally, I aligned the T-bar so that the cross, and hence the shifter, was at 90 degrees to the fore-and-aft axis of the bike.  Over the winter, I angled the cross of the T-bar slightly backwards by about 12-15 degrees ("East-Southeast", as it were). See the other photo below -- the asymmetry looks odd, but it's deliberate.  This allows me to make an end-on "doorknob" grip of the shifter more easily, as the shifter now aligns better with the angle of my hand and wrist. (Previously, my wide shoulders created a problem -- I had to scrunch my elbow into my side and cock my wrist slightly to the right, to grip the shifter from behind, in the V of my thumb.)  Not a big change, but it already feels more comfortable -- "home ergonomics", you might say  :-)

Hope this is helpful -- good luck!  

John

« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 05:35:48 pm by John Saxby »

phopwood

« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2015, 06:38:21 pm »
Hi all,

Sorry for my late reply, we took the kids to Florida on a surprise holiday for 11 days, they thought they were going to sunny Blackpool for 3 days.

Thanks for all your replys I will be making the conversion over the next week, so I will post pictures when done.

One of my neighbours has a set of 3T short reach bars that will match my needs so we are going to do a swap for them. 

All the best.

Peter