Author Topic: Best Bicycle Tech Books  (Read 1980 times)

Andre Jute

Best Bicycle Tech Books
« on: May 08, 2014, 04:58:36 pm »

The Bicycle Wheel by Jobst Brandt is by several lengths the best book on the subject ever written, and not likely to be superseded in this life, given that the reader pays attention and doesn't mind stretching his mind a little, because Jobst  takes no prisoners. The best wheels can be built by those who've thoroughly assimilated The Bicycle Wheel; Sheldon believed it too and collated Jobst's thoughts on other matters of importance to cyclists at http://sheldonbrown.com/brandt/.

Jobst testing his invention of slick tyres on wheels of his own construction.

The Bicycle Wheel is in print and for sale many places -- try http://www.wheelfanatyk.com/store/jobst-brandt-bicycle-wheel/ -- and every serious cyclist should at least read it, even if he doesn't venture beyond the foothills of the math. Here's a tip: Read a section from a heading to a heading -- they're all short, because Jobst doesn't waste any words -- and ponder his points on your ride. You'd be surprised how much juice is to be squeezed out of a short paragraph by the cleverest engineer to take an interest in bicycles since Mikhael Pedersen.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 05:30:44 pm by Andre Jute »

Andre Jute

Re: Best Bicycle Tech Books
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2014, 05:16:29 pm »
In another thread, on some wheelbuilding articles by Eric Hjertberg that Dan posted at http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=9043.0, Anto says:
very interesting stuff Dan if only i had the brain to study it  focus gone after 10 seconds

Ha! I found an error in an obscure corner of the math in Jobst Brandt's The Bicycle Wheel. Now, Jobst is undoubtedly a great engineer. Just one of the fabled things he did is design the brakes for grand prix cars when he worked at Porsche; for cyclists he's the originator of the slick road tyre when he was connected with Avocet in California, and many other clever ideas. But, like most great engineers (me included -- compare, for instance, my grand universal transfer function for thermionic tubes, which is too perfect to discuss with mere mortals, at http://www.audio-talk.co.uk/fiultra/KISS%20141%20by%20Andre%20Jute.htm), as a human being Jobst is, to put it politely, apt to mistake correction for questioning his godhead. I finally got him admit the glitch and then discovered that he'd known about it for three editions, but hadn't corrected it because nobody had spotted it! Of course it isn't an important error, because Jobst doesn't make important mistakes; in fact, it is so trivial that I'd need to look up the correspondence, which was public, to remember what precisely it was. What I remember is that I got a migraine from not believing Jobst could make an error, and trying to make the math come out like he said it should, over and over, and of course it wouldn't.

So, Anto, if the technicalities outstay the welcome of your attention span, just say that in a spirit of goodwill you searched for the error you're sure couldn't possibly lurk in such a respected man's work, and it gave you a headache, so you went off for a ride instead.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 02:45:37 pm by Andre Jute »

julk

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2014, 09:32:23 pm »
Andre,
I like it ;D
Julian.

ps I have the book and never spotted the deliberate mistake...

Andre Jute

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2014, 11:34:27 pm »
ps I have the book and never spotted the deliberate mistake...

All kinds of stuff sneak into books. Back in the last days of hot lead setting, an error was introduced by a typesetter into my Designing and Building Special Cars. It wouldn't have been so bad if it was merely in a section where I let off steam about the depredations of Type Approval, or something like that. But the first I heard of the error was when some fellow who relied on my book stuffed an expensive nostaligicar under test up the Armco at Copse Corner and claimed in self-defense, "But I calculated the stopping distance in strict accordance with Andre's book!" The error was introduced into a braking formula... There was a round robin of recriminations but there was no way out; the proofreaders had been asleep on the job. We had to reprint.

Right now I have to track down a persistent, recurring error in the formatting of my protege Dakota Franklin's book which is being published next week in time for the TT in IoM, which is its subject matter.

gearoidmuar

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2014, 11:49:18 am »
I have the book, Andre. I bought it years ago and read it all. I used to email JB a bit, but he's been off the net for some time.
There are two things he does not say in it. (I've build loads of wheels)..

1. The easiest way to correct radial bumps is to not put them in by ensuring that you only make small corrections at a time to any spoke.
2. The stiffness of a rim (by e.g. a triangular cross section) makes a wheel stronger.

Otherwise a great book.

Andre Jute

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2014, 04:18:53 pm »
I have the book, Andre. I bought it years ago and read it all. I used to email JB a bit, but he's been off the net for some time.

A truck got him. At his advanced age a smashed femur always has complications. We wish him well though I must say I miss him and Sheldon. But we still have his wisdom, thanks to the Sheldon, and his reports of some of his significant Alpine crossings.

There are two things he does not say in it. (I've build loads of wheels).

1. The easiest way to correct radial bumps is to not put them in by ensuring that you only make small corrections at a time to any spoke.
2. The stiffness of a rim (by e.g. a triangular cross section) makes a wheel stronger.

Otherwise a great book.

See what I mean? If you can spot lacunae, you've clearly assimilated the book immensely well. You must build brilliant wheels!