Author Topic: Connecting a Shimano dynahub  (Read 5157 times)

ianshearin

Connecting a Shimano dynahub
« on: May 01, 2013, 08:45:21 pm »
Well my new B&M light arrived  ;D

After only a few mins it was on the bike and almost ready to go..... almost....

I can't for the life of me figure out how to connect the wires to the hub..... :-\  :-\

Here is a pic of the offending items.
Obviously I connect the wires to the ferrules, but they just dont seem to fit properly.. I havent put the wires on yet, just figuring it out for now, but if I press the ferrules into the connector after fitting the connector to the hub they just flop around....
Am I missing something.....
In the end, it's not going to matter how many breaths you took, but how many moments took your breath away.
'shing xiong'

ianshearin

Re: Connecting a Shimano dynahub
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2013, 09:11:31 pm »
Ah figured it....

The ferrules are a red herring, found a diagram from Shimano.
The wires just route straight into the connector

http://www.shimano.com/media/techdocs/content/cycle/SI/HubDynamo/SI_2YH0A/SI_2YH0A_001/SI-2YH0A-001-ENG_v1_m56577569830673555.pdf
In the end, it's not going to matter how many breaths you took, but how many moments took your breath away.
'shing xiong'

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2013, 09:31:05 pm »
The wires just route straight into the connector.
Yep.

The spade connectors are used with the larger lugs on the SON Dynohub. With the Shimano, you just strip the wires and loop them through the connector.

Best,

Dan. (...who is eagerly awaiting Ian's "first ride report" with the new light)

jags

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2013, 10:17:26 pm »
yeah Ian i was left scratching my head on this one ;D ;D.
remember when you tighten your wheel leave the connector facing up,that way when you drop out the wheel the connector will pop out as well no damage. ;)

did you get a chance to test the light out yet i will get one if you give it the thumbs up.

ianshearin

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2013, 09:22:53 pm »
Sorry I havent reported back sooner, trouble is I cant test the light at night cos I am in bed long before its dark  ::)

If I can report on the light thus far.....

It looks just great sitting on the front, Im really pleased with the aesthetics, set up and fixing it was straightforward apart from my brain dump on the connectors  :P

It comes with a cable from the light to the handlebar which allows control of the switch from a more reasonable position, this also houses the USB socket.
The connector from the light to the handlebar needs to be clicked in properly, I wasnt firm enough with it at first and found the charging intermittent, soon as I rechecked the documentation it specifically pointed out to push the connector in firmly, also to point the connector downwards to allow water to drip away.

I am using a iphone and a mapmyride app to track my rides, charging is great, the handlebar switch glows red when charging is taking place so you can keep an eye on it.
Charging stops at about 5mph which is fine for me, its great to know I can charge devices on the bike, it somehow makes me feel very independent.

As far as I can tell from the documentation it wont be possible to charge devices in the rain, water can get into the connectors so it is best to not charge and use the rubber caps that are integral to the connectors.

All in all I am impressed with the light, I havent used it in anger yet but as far as charging goes it fits the bill perfectly.
'shing xiong'

jags

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2013, 11:19:42 pm »
Thanks for that Ian always great to hear that these things actually does what it suposed to do .going on your review i would buy ;)
but alas i will have to wait as usual  no mun no fun ;D ;D.

cheers
Jags.

Planet X

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2013, 02:15:56 pm »
@Ian,
Is that a Luxos U?
Have one in the post coming from the "der Fatherland" at the moment.
 :)
Cannot wait.

jags

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2013, 02:35:23 pm »
be sure to test it out on the dark country lanes we are all waiting for Ian  to go on a night ride but i tink he findind the pub  ::)
only joking ian.

ianshearin

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2013, 11:16:48 pm »
Methinks you are close to the truth jags  ;)

Further road test:

I was cycling up to the lake District last weekend to meet up on a family get together, soon as I got out the door the heavans opened up, it was torrential.....
I managed to make it to Preston where I caught a train for the rest of the journey  :-X

As I boarded the train the headlight was flickering, I tried to turn it off but it wasnt having anything of it, finally I was able to turn it off by pulling out the usb charger cable.
The light worked fine after that, further tinkering revealed that the usb charging facility doesnt like rain, it was knackered.
I have brought it indoors now and dried it out, tomorrow I will check it out.

So in summary, charging in rain is not reccommended.
I am thinking of a plastic bag and some elastic bands for the next time it rains.

Some other observations from that horrendous trip:

1. Gloves were needed, my hands were slipping on the handlebars
2. The Carradry bags were waterproof
3. The saddle bag was damp inside
4. Rain on a bike helmet causes an itchy head which cant be scratched...
5. Trains are your friend
6. I now realise the importance of mudguards.

Ian
'shing xiong'

rualexander

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2013, 11:43:43 pm »

I am thinking of a plastic bag and some elastic bands for the next time it rains.

This is what I do with my Axa Nano Plus for charging in rain.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2013, 01:08:29 am »
4. Rain on a bike helmet causes an itchy head which cant be scratched.
Horrible feeling! Second on my hit parade is scooping up a bee in my helmet vents...one who decides to explore my bald noggin.
<nods> Yep, a pretty common scenario for all bike-mounted USB charging systems, Ian. I am thinking strongly of making a small "shower cap" for my Tout Terrain The Plug2+ for this very reason. I'm toying with a small elastic bungee and cordlock at the bottom with a slit in the side to accept the USB cable.

Looking at your HB-mounted setup, I *think* it might help to rotate the clamp with the charging port it angles downward a bit to prevent the rain from entering directly. I rotated my TTTP2+ around the vertical axis (it mounts as a steerer cap) to try to achieve the same goal. It does seem to help.

So sorry you had such foul weather for your trip; rotten luck, that. Hopefully you'll have clear skies ahead. Thanks so much for the report in any case, Ian. Any additional information on these charging systems and lights is always welcome.

Best,

Dan.

Planet X

Luxos U.
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2013, 05:36:17 pm »
Anyone know what these are for, came with the Luxos U?
Cheers.

Planet X

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2013, 05:41:26 pm »
OK, have it, they clip over the supplied mounting bracket.......which I'm not using.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2013, 05:57:30 pm »
Yep, and trap and constrain the wires coming to/from the headlight if you do use the original (heavy gage) wire bracket.

Depending on market of purchase, there *may* also be a silver/white reflector that hangs below the light. It is required in Germany.

Best,

Dan.

jags

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2013, 05:59:31 pm »
AHH  just about to tell ya  ::) ;D