Community > Cycle Tours

Beverley to Milton Keynes

(1/7) > >>

flocsy:
Arrived to Luton 2 hours ago. There's a long train trip to Beverley, where I will get my Nomad in about 6 hours and finally be a proper member in the forum :)

PH:
Enjoy your adventure, I'm sure you will.
Don't forget the English love to talk about the weather, it's going to be a hot this week, in contrast to the quite miserable last couple of weeks  ;)

flocsy:
Ok, I've got a way to post pictures: I download them from Facebook.

So here's my new Nomad, with all the stuff.
On the way out from Beverley I saw this nice gate and I remembered that I saw it on the forum. I think Hoot was standing below the gate.

flocsy:
My tent in the 1st sunset.
The place I entered the Trans Pennine Trail.
Nice riverbank on the way.
Nice viaduct.

flocsy:
Some stories after 2 days:
On the 1st day after 45 minutes I stopped to double check that I am on the right way. I was not. Looks like I accidentally clicked on another course I also prepared. So I started from Beverley to the north instead of west (I noticed that I am climbing hills and remembered that I was supposed to reach the sea shore soon)

My 1st experience with the Rohloff gear: needs some time to get used to it: the strangest thing is that it's more like driving a manual car than a bike with derealleaur. I knew I am not supposed to push hard when changing gears, but I can't even push easy? I really need to stop pedalling for a second. This is even annoying when changing to higher gear. I need to think and plan ahead of time when I'm going to change, and stop pushing (much like releasing my foot from the gas pedal in a car)

There is also something that bothers me with the numbers on the gear shifter. They don't align with the raven. I would be ok with that, if all the gears were the same amount higher than the raven, but no, they are moving.

And there is a strange thing, I don't know if it's normal and happens when I don't still push to hard when changing: sometimes it feels like instead of changing 1 gear it changes like 3 or 4. I only turn it on (let's say from 11 to 12) but it feels much harder, not the usual, hardly feelable change. Let me know if this is normal and I should practice holding back even more on the pedal while changing or it's something I should be concerned about.

And one more question: I feel like the frame is the right size (even Thorn would give me similar sized bike - though not Nomad - when I asked about the 2nd hand bikes) but I also feel too much pressure on my arms and even on my back.

So I am thinking about 3 options, 2 that I could even try during the tour and one that needs a new stem:

1. Change the angle of the horns so they will be closer and higher. This maybe decreases their effectiveness on uphills, but could give me a more relaxed posture which hopefully would put less pressure on my arm and back,
2. Turn around the stem. Currently it's going down, so if I turn it around then it should go up. If my intuition is right it would even shorten the reach a little bit (because the steerer's angle is 70 something, not 90) and also make the handlebar higher
3. Maybe only buying a shorter stem will help?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version