Author Topic: Sartorial elegance  (Read 1738 times)

in4

Sartorial elegance
« on: March 27, 2013, 05:22:10 pm »
As one who's cycling wardrobe can be visually unrewarding to the unfortunate onlooker I'm afraid this little snippet passes me by somewhat. Those amongst us who are svelt of profile and unemcumbered by a 'Shropshire ankle, or similar might like to browse the following. Yaah! http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/bike-blog/2013/mar/27/city-cycling-fashion-rapha-bike-blog

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: Sartorial elegance
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2013, 05:48:57 pm »
Hi Ian!

My thoughts on Rapha...

In general:
• Nicely designed cycling clothing.
• Stylish in appearance with a little added style.
• High quality.
• Expensive.

For Dan:
• Too expensive in outlay, thought he quality is likely worth it and lowers the cost over the longer lifetime.
• Bike clothes get ehm, "dirty" in bike-specific ways and then don't look real nice for very long in my use. Aluminum rim oxide, chain oil, and general road-smut are the main culprits and none of it seems to be completely removable. Nothing so disheartening as a black stripe on a brand-new whatever, acquired on the first ride:-\

The two above factors mitigate against my becoming a Rapha customer, but I can still admire it on others. A bit like Porsches. Being inside, you get to enjoy the interior and the fun-to-drive aspects. Outside, you can enjoy the sight and sound as one goes by.

Ah, me. I still have some 35-year old jerseys that look nice and were durable enough to last to date! Very stylish, too...for 1978.  ;D

Best,

Dan.

leftpoole

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2013, 05:53:06 pm »
I have a Rapha T Shirt. I very rarely wear it. I do not want to wash it too often in case it wears out! It is really nice. I purchased on Ebay for £14:00!!

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2013, 05:59:09 pm »
Now that's a great approach, John -- Rapha quality at a bargain price!

Can't beat that combo!  ;D

Best,

Dan.

il padrone

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2013, 09:16:01 pm »
Much cycling gear is black or dark colours fora very good reason. I aoid wearing white or other light colours, or if I do, am very careful about dirt and/or resign myself to a few marks and splotches.

Re. Rapha: I purchase the gear on special by preference. Their fixed shorts have been wonderful for retro rides - no-one else makes plus fours these days and they are really comfortable. Their V-neck merino base layer is similarly wonderful - wear it under any shirt and it quietly keeps you warm and dry on the skin, without pong.. I've only bought a few items from Rapha, but these have been universally of very high quality, and in the bigger picture have not broken the bank and the $$$ cost is soon forgotten, but the quality is long remembered.