Author Topic: Order placed  (Read 3858 times)

bikerta

Order placed
« on: April 17, 2014, 03:27:14 pm »
Oh my god I feel sick   :o   I have just placed the order for my new bike, which should be ready for collection in the first week of May. I have never ever thought of spending that amount of money on a bike, so I hope he is worth it. This bike has got to last me now until I can no longer get my leg over the crossbar (which may not be as far off as you think)

I am sure the bike will be great, but he is not allowed to get dirty, so no wet weather riding or snowy weather riding in case there is any salt on the roads. I will not be able to take him outside in case he gets stolen and no sitting on him in case I mark the lovely shiny paintwork!!

Seriously though, I now feel a little happier about my upcoming trip (which I can't afford to do now) as I was getting very down hearted whenever I tried to get a longer ride in and was coming home so uncomfortable. I now need to sell the Dawes to help pay for the Sherpa, so anybody want a 2012 Dawes Galaxy in British Racing Green - whoops wrong forum.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 03:28:48 pm by bikerta »

JimK

• Interdependent Science
Re: Order placed
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 03:33:30 pm »
Congratulations! Yeah it's a lot of money! I will say - I only have a bit more than 3 years and 9,000 miles on my bike - it still feels new - and fun!

jags

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014, 03:42:09 pm »
Fantastic i  take it you bought the sherpa.worry not about the cost it will last forever the bike that is.
what size is our galaxy ,i know a guy looking for a bike he would be 5.6ins in height let me know the size and price and i'l try to contact him see if he's interested.
best of luck with the new baby  mind him like a child and enjoy every pedal stroke.

jags.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 03:47:14 pm by jags »

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2014, 03:43:47 pm »
All congratulations your way, Jackie -- what wonderful news!

Now, you'll get to experience time dilation as it slows to a crawl whilst awaiting delivery -- the speeds up again on collection day. A final fitting at Thorn and you'll be on the road!

I bond so closely with my old bikes and the adventures we take together, I can't bear to part with them. My favorite all-'rounder turned 30 this year and plugs along happily with a 5-sp freewheel and half-step chainrings. I expect the Nomad to last me at least another 20 years. Looked at as a long-term investment with the cost amortized over so many years, the horrifying shock to the pocketbook fades to a mere ripple. Also, you've invested in an exercise machine you'll really use and the health benefits will lead to a longer, happier life than the alternative.

Can you tell us a bit about the spec you've chosen and the color?

You'll have a wonderful machine for this tour and many more ahead, Jackie. May many great adventures pass beneath your wheels. So looking forward to photos in the gallery!

All the best,

Dan.

Andybg

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2014, 03:53:07 pm »
Congratulations on the new bike. Hoping you have many happy years together. As others have said the initial pain of the purchase will soon be forgotten and the many years of "pain free" ownership will begin.

All the best

Andy

bikerta

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2014, 07:24:12 pm »
Hi everyone, thanks for the messages.

The bike is a Sherpa of course and it's a red one.  ;D

Frame size 500s, straight bar version.
10 speed which I would rather not have but nowt I can do about it.
Dura Ace thumbshifters as I have been very pleased with them on my Galaxy (even though they were bar end shifters on there)
Thorn expedition front and rear racks
Ergon gp5 grips and bar ends
Schwalbe Marathon Duremes 2.0
Rigida Grizzly wheels.
Cateye TL LD1100 rear light, which hopefully they will fit onto the rear rack.
Brooks honey B17.  (have gone for the male version this time as I found that my ladies Brooks Flyer meant that I was sitting very close to the nose of the saddle as it is shorter in length and no amount of miles is going to soften that nose up

That's about it really. Doesn't sound much for the money, but as you say it should last me for years and I am hoping it is a bike I can love as I found it a little difficult to bond with the Galaxy. Mind you have been cleaning her up a bit today and it does feel very sad that she has to go, but there is absolutely no point in keeping 2 touring bikes even if the Dawes is probably a quicker tourer.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 07:27:10 pm by bikerta »

jags

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2014, 07:41:29 pm »
Sounds CLASS to me 8)
have you any tours planned?
be sure to proofhide the saddle, i used to put it on by hand  rub it well in leave it overnight and buff to a shine .always carry a plastic bag under the saddle just in case you get rained on. ::)
be sure to post loads of pics you included got to put a face to this story  :) :)

oh yeah meant to say if your not already a member of the fellclub .org.uk then join up great club i think i'm the only irish member, love to get over for more of the meets but been broke doesnt help ;D i had 3 fellclubbers stay here good time was had by all yeah check it out you wont be sorry.

Anto.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2014, 07:44:35 pm »
Aw, Jackie...what a great spec you've chosen, and of course it will all work well 'cos it's red and red tools *always* work better!

I think you'll bond quickly and well. Now, the Next Most Important Question: What's his name to be? Name a bike, and it'll never turn on you, remaining loyal to the end. That said, most of mine share first names of "The" followed by last names that are printed on the top tubes or the color (The Blue Bike, Sherpa, The Nomad, etc.).  :D

Best,

Dan.

RobertL

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2014, 07:56:01 pm »
Congratulations - I ve been really pleased after one year with my Thorn.

It is 99% fair weather but gets the odd commute in light rain.

It only travels from shed to work and back, and I do worry about leaving it on the pavement, even if it is locked up.

I'd have to get a pub bike for general town journeys, but even old steel frame bikes are prone to being taken.

We need a Thorn in stealth markings.

alfie1952

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2014, 08:32:11 pm »
Hi Jackie,

Congratulations on your new purchase, I'm sure the both of you will be very happy together for years to come.  Remember to post lots of photographs when your sparkly new bike arrives.

Delighted that you got there in the end.

Regards Alfie

John Saxby

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2014, 08:55:43 pm »
Sounds super, Jackie -- enjoy!  I have an occasional correspondence with Graham Smith in Oz, who has a Sherpa which he takes to all manner of strange & wonderful places, and it gets him back again every time.  Look forward to some fotos, and safe travels. -- J.

phopwood

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2014, 08:39:01 pm »
Congratulation I am very pleased for you.  Sounds brilliant to me, it is almost the same as mine except mine is black and now has a rolhoff fitted.

Get it dirty and wet,  this winter has been very wet and my sherpa has been out nearly everyday and I have only cleaned it once, in fact I have only cleaned it once in 2000 miles. It is a proper bike don't baby it.

Peter

jags

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2014, 08:53:34 pm »
no peter  one of my pet hates is a dirty bike. on a really dirty mucky ride it would be cleaned and polished after every ride.i keep my bike indoors so if the wife sees it all mucky and dripping wet i get an earfull,ah i enjoy cleaning it to be honest sure what else would i be doing.

jags (each to there own)

phopwood

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2014, 09:24:49 pm »
Insert Quote
no peter  one of my pet hates is a dirty bike. on a really dirty mucky ride it would be cleaned and polished after every ride.i keep my bike indoors so if the wife sees it all mucky and dripping wet i get an earfull,ah i enjoy cleaning it to be honest sure what else would i be doing.

jags (each to there own.

You are correct, I must confess after I cleaned it looked brilliant.
Peter

bikerta

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2014, 09:26:11 pm »
I don't like to see a dirty bike either, but at the same time I don't particularly like cleaning them.

Looking forward to riding the Sherpa. I did think lots about which bike to get and I am pretty sure that I like the smaller 26" wheels better as it makes the bike feel smaller and more manageable. That limits your choice a bit.  I did consider the Club Tour as I am pretty certain that would be almost the same as my Galaxy to ride, but riding the smaller Thorn Raven at SJS felt so much easier. I know that the Sherpa is a heavy bike and is probably a bit over the top for what I need, but when I tour I do take all of my camping gear with me so I am fairly heavily loaded. No I don't expect I shall be touring in the Himalayas any time soon, but I would like to go on a couple of trails on my way from John o Groats to Lands End, one of them being the Great Glen Way. I am sure the Club Tour could also have done this, but for me it comes back to the 26" wheels.

I am now having to train on my younger sons Giant mountain bike complete with knobbly tyres, or when he is using it, I borrow my eldest sons Dawes Discovery 401. Neither of them are a great fit, so my journeys are usually fairly short but I do try to incorporate some of the steeper hills in the area so hopefully my climbing legs will improve. I know they have already as I can get up hills I never used to be able to get anywhere near and funnily enough I am finding climbing easier on both of these bikes than I did with the Galaxy. The Galaxy excelled on the long drags, whereas the mountain bike is rubbish at them and I have to spin in pretty low gears. But for the sharp steep hills, the mountain bike wins. Hopefully the Sherpa will do both.    ;D