Technical > Lighting and Electronics

A no-friction bike flash lights dynamo

(1/4) > >>

iwicom:
This is a new generation bicycle light system.

No battery is needed, no friction on any parts of the bicycle. The lights flash regardless speed of the bicycle and weather conditions (unlike normal dynamos!). Very bright.

More details on http://www.freelights.co.uk

mwhapples:
Doesn't seem to be that new to me, hub dynamos are very similar. Hub dynamos don't have friction of rollers on the tyre, and only have the resistance of turning a magnet inside a coil (like they say at that website). Didn't check what they want as a price for it, so can't compare it there. Also I don't know how easy it would be to fit, but as they seem to describe it as a system you would fit and leave, is that more trouble than getting a wheel built with a hub dynamo (when your wheel needs rebuilding if you can wait)? Also can it only drive the LEDs they use in that system? Or does it have more power?

freddered:
2 things

1) It MUST have some form of resistance becasue it generates electricity. 
2) What they mean is it doesn't create MUCH resistance.  That's because it doesn't generate much electricity.

vik:
Of the 2 or 3 sets of these lights I know of in service all of them have had durability issues and simply don't put out enough light to be particularly useful.  I don't know any that remained in service after a few months of use.

Dave Whittle Thorn Workshop:
Reelights do this much better

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version