Technical > Lighting and Electronics

Schmidt/SON28 bolt-on vs. QR

(1/2) > >>

Danneaux:
Hi All,

I am awaiting build and delivery of my new Sherpa, ordered with a Schmidt/SON28 hub dynamo.

Never having owned one before, I recently became aware they are supplied with a "slow-release", a bolt-on skewer with an allen fitting instead of the usual quick-release with lever.

For folks who already own a SON hub, do you prefer the supplied skewer, or have you converted to a conventional quick-release? 

I'm wondering if I might pick up a spare Shimano QR to match the rear hub.  I'm a bit torn between the seemingly greater theft deterrence of the Schmidt skewer vs. the touring convenience and greater clamping power of a standard QR.  When touring, I'm solo and stealth camping in remote wilderness areas and in rugged conditions.  The bike won't be left alone on day rides, and if shopping during extended tours, the front wheel will be secured to the frame and a post or parking loop with a u-lock (a ring lock will secure the rear wheel alone to the frame).

Any thoughts and ideas are most welcome, and I thank you in advance.

Best,

Dan.

JimK:
I have that Schmidt 28 dynamo on my Nomad. It came with conventional QR skewers. I've replaced them with Pitlocks, front and rear. Shopping is part of my routine!

Danneaux:
What a terrific shot!  Annnnnnd, nice to see your Thorn has taken a parking space as a proper vehicle; as deserved!  It really is good to see the Click-Stand working so well on pavement, too. 

Best,

Dan.

Sinnerman:
Hi JimK

I've just posted a question regarding security, but it looks as though you have some thoughts on this subject.  What lock do you use for your Nomad?  Do you rate the pitlocks?  I read they can get a bit too tight and difficult to take off.

Also, I hadn't considered a stand before!  How is it?

Thanks

T

JimK:
I don't have any touring experience (since the 1960s!) so I can't comment on that.

I assume you look at CrazyGuyOnABike - here is one theft report:

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/page/?o=1r4vFZo&page_id=84641&v=l4

I just got my bike last November, so my experience with it is very limited. I've only taken my wheels off a few times, but certainly no trouble with the pitlocks. My understanding is that one wants to keep the threads greased. Maybe people overtighten them sometimes? I think they don't need to be very tight.

I use a Kryptonite U Lock and carry a braided cable too just in case I need to lock to something really big.

I have had too many bikes stolen over the years. The whole point of spending so many $$$ on the Nomad was so I can go places with it. So I use a lock!

The clickstand is nice enough. It just fits in my Carradice handlebar bag. I have a nylon web strap with a fastex clip that I run between the front wheel and the down tube. I keep that in an outer side pocket of the handlebar bag. That is great for just stabilizing the bike, even if I am just standing someplace straddling it, e.g. talking on the cell phone or munching a snack. The clickstand holds the bike up quite well and deploys quite readily. Not as convenient as a regular kickstand, but probably more stable and flexible. E.g. I will put the click stand on the uphill side of the bike. I doubt any sort of kickstand would work along a slope!

Jim

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version