Author Topic: Catskills Nomad  (Read 110033 times)

JimK

• Interdependent Science
Re: Catskills Nomad
« Reply #75 on: October 25, 2011, 09:20:28 pm »

My first category 2 climb to get here!
http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/55678498

jags

« Reply #76 on: October 25, 2011, 09:51:52 pm »
great pic jim well worth the efford. ;)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #77 on: October 25, 2011, 11:18:08 pm »
I looked at the included link to your map, Jim, and enjoyed it greatly.  I had no idea so much of this area was parkland.  With at least two campgrounds, it might be the perfect place to try an overnighter or a cycle-camping shakedown run.  One needn't make a continental crossing to have an awful lot of fun, and shorter runs -- even overnighters -- are a wonderful way to uncover and address any problems before a longer tour, and you just can't beat a canopy of stars overhead at night.  'Best wallpaper there is!

You've already got some terrific racks and your panniers and your saddle bag, and I'm guessing it wouldn't take much to add a sleeping bag, pad, and tarp.  A meths-fueled beer-can penny stove can easily cook any meals you'd need (mine works great, and I take it on all my long day rides...along with a metal cup and some dehydrated soup mix).  It might be fun to try when the weather warms up again.

The hills in your photos remind me so much or Oregon's Coast Range, and especially the area between Monroe and Alsea, NW of Eugene.  You sure had some climbing to get there -- a double summit and over 609 meters!  Odd..the green map marker doesn't show in your photo...  :D

Best,

Dan.

scotian

« Reply #78 on: October 26, 2011, 12:16:19 am »
Hi Jim,

Nomad on its way, should get it Thursday morning.

Cant wait to see it and try it out.

Looks like a good climb and nice clear day whats the temp like. Here's starting to get colder.

Cheers
Ian
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 12:34:48 am by scotian »

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #79 on: October 26, 2011, 12:20:30 am »
  With at least two campgrounds, it might be the perfect place to try an overnighter or a cycle-camping shakedown run. 

That is very much my way of thinking. Another sort of shakedown I'm doing is grocery shopping. The other day I used my rear panniers to haul maybe 20 pounds of food from the store that's about 15 miles away and 400 feet lower in elevation. Such fun to see how that kind of load is just nothing at all for the Nomad!

My biking has gone through its waxing and waning phases over the decades. I worked a couple of field operations for Census 2010 which got me out into the countryside. I actually borrowed our teenager's mountain bike for part of the work - that was part of the motivation behind me getting a new bike, seeing how the bikes I already had were just inadequate for the local terrain. Plus I got to see a lot of the local countryside, many back roads that I had no idea about.

I gave myself about a year of riding my Trek 520 to test my interest in biking, before diving in to the big investment in the Thorn. I figure I can do the same thing with camping. I already have plenty of camping equipment. None of it is what I would want for touring Qinghai Province in China, but it should be perfectly adequate for a couple nights out around here. I have some friends out near Ithaca - I have my eye on a trip out there - three days and two nights to get there, maybe stay a few days, then ride back.

Maybe next year... but with the teenager graduating from high school and heading off to college, it's liable to be outrageously busy. Maybe a year from now, a trip to recover as the dust settles.

Qinghai 2014?

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #80 on: October 26, 2011, 12:27:52 am »
Nomad on its way

There is some spectacular countryside where you are, or at least not too far! We like to watch videos like Rob Roy, Kidnapped, and Braveheart!

What gearing did you get? I had to stop several times climbing my category 2 today. Surely I will keep getting stronger.... my inspiration for today's ride was Alexandra David-Neel who walked across Tibet at age 56 - same age as me! - but still I am very happy to have those low gears! (I have the 38x16 combo).

Did you get or do you have good lights? My bike came in the afternoon and it was plenty dark by the time I had it put together - you bet I took it out for a test ride - these new LED lights are miraculous!

Jim

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #81 on: October 26, 2011, 12:53:10 am »
whats the temp like. Here's starting to get colder.

The extra challenge today was the wind. Lots of nasty headwind and also enough side gusts to create havoc. Now and then though that kind of tailwind that makes everything heavenly quiet!

Yes it is getting cooler here too - you can see all the leaves are off the trees up at that higher elevation - down here, 1500 feet lower, it is still very colorful. Another week and I expect it will be all grey here too. The temperature today was low 50s Fahrenheit. I had on long nylon pants and a longsleeve polyester knit shirt and then mostly my nice fleece vest too except on the big climb when staying warm was not a problem! Not too windy in that tight little valley either.

My toes were getting a little chilly and I started thinking about those shoe covers in my saddlebag but it never got that bad. It's nice having extra layers on hand even if I don't use them. It's like having good lighting and enough bike to get through practically anything. The spare capability relieves any worry and I can just ride in a more confident and relaxed frame of mind!

Jim
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 12:56:38 am by JimK »

scotian

« Reply #82 on: October 26, 2011, 01:16:07 am »
Hi Jim,

Agree about extra clothing, works both ways too. was doing hill reps with the club on monday and was able to take jacket off and put in saddle bag. Luggage on a racing bike is not the norm here, but is very useful. I get some funny looks.

Nomad is fitted with 47 x 17 this will hopefully be good for commute and general use, expecting to need to gear down for fully laden touring, what do you think?

Lights - Use Exposure Maxx D on bike and Lupine Piko on helmet, work really well. The helmet light is great for picking out pot holes (our roads really suffered last winter)  its also great for catching a drivers attention at junctions and roundabouts.

Ian

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #83 on: October 26, 2011, 02:14:57 am »
Nomad is fitted with 47 x 17 this will hopefully be good for commute and general use, expecting to need to gear down for fully laden touring, what do you think?

Ha! If you're doing hill reps with a club, you are in an entirely different category of cyclist than I! Earlier this year I went on a group ride and it took folks about a mile before they just disappeared into the distance. By the time I got back, the food was all gone and the welcome tent was being taken down! Anyway, I am sure you know what gears will work for you. I just knew that the gears on my 1996 Trek 520 were much too high.

Easy enough to switch chainrings when you want to load up. Then you'll have to guess a bit. Depends on the terrain, too!

The helmet light is great for picking out pot holes (our roads really suffered last winter)  its also great for catching a drivers attention at junctions and roundabouts.

I've thought about a helmet light. I like to use a rain cover on my helmet in the dark and cold months. I expect a helmet light won't be attachable when the helmet is covered. Is there a trick I am missing? It would be great to have that extra light!

Jim

scotian

« Reply #84 on: October 26, 2011, 11:36:16 pm »
I've thought about a helmet light. I like to use a rain cover on my helmet in the dark and cold months. I expect a helmet light won't be attachable when the helmet is covered. Is there a trick I am missing? It would be great to have that extra light!

Hi Jim,

Sorry no, dont use a rain cover just a thin merino hat. Warm but does get wet.

Cheers,

Ian

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #85 on: November 24, 2011, 07:40:09 pm »
Here's my Nomad Mk2 in the trunk of my 2003 Toyota Corolla. My first time using the S&S couplers to break the bike apart. Just took a few minutes & no surprises along the way.

I had to take the front wheel off - between the wheel and the handlebars, I couldn't find a way to tuck that front unit in. With the wheel off, everything fits - though a bit tricky still.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #86 on: November 24, 2011, 07:55:00 pm »
Jim! 

That is just...incredible!

This is what we needed, some real shots of the broken-down S&S bike "in action".  This really opens up some possibilities.

Did you (or can you) release the seatback on the Toyota, or is this all fitting in the trunk area proper?

Can you give some idea of the time involved for dis-/reassembly?  I would imagine it would go faster with practice.  Did you lay the bike on its side, or do disassemble it in a stand?  Looking forward to some pics showing reassembly in stages, if possible.

Thanks for a great pic, Jim.

Best,

Dan.

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #87 on: November 24, 2011, 08:17:22 pm »
The seat back are not flipped down; the bike is entirely in the luggage compartment proper. Plus the handlebar bag and the saddle bag!

I didn't use a stand or anything fancy. I just had the bike leaning against the back of the car and used the S&S wrench to loosen the couplers. The bike just fell in half. Might have been better to lay the bike on its side - one of those couplers hit the ground when the bike came apart - I doubt it got damaged, but still - better not to push my luck!

Some details:

1) The external shifter box comes off with the thumbscrew and then the shifter cables are hooked to the chainstay with some plastic finger things that are easy to un-do.

2) I have a generator-driven rear light. The wiring runs along the down tube. There are tab connectors right alongside the coupler, so those need to be slid free.

3) The rear brake cable comes apart - there is a threaded barrel connection right at the brake, where the free cable runs between the two arms of the brake.

The whole operation was surely under five minutes, and that was my first try at it.

Someday I want to figure out how small a case I can squeeze the bike into - I still have my Chengdu 2014 fantasy rattling around. S&S sells cases of varying thickness...  but only the thinnest is airline regulation.

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #88 on: November 24, 2011, 08:26:51 pm »
We're out for a family ride tomorrow - the bikes of my sweetheart and her teenage son will be on the rack hanging on the back of the car. I've asked her to take some photos as I put my bike back together.

We all watched the movie "Hell on Wheels" last night & now her son is thinking maybe he should work up to the Tour de France! We went out for 17 miles today - he is sure a lot faster than me, but that's not saying much! Best is that he is getting better with the derailleurs and not jamming the chain in the chainrings. In the spring I will have to find a club for him to ride with.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #89 on: November 24, 2011, 08:42:37 pm »
Jim,

While your girlfriend's son sounds pretty sport-oriented, there might still be a possibility to do some overnight camping together at one of the many campgrounds in your beautiful region.  My father and I took our last tour together through the Diamond Peak Wilderness Area in 1991, the week before his 74th birthday.  Though we had different touring speeds and styles, we surely had a nice time together, and it made for some wonderful memories I cherish to this day.  He's 94 now and can't do those sorts of rides at present, but the other day we got out the slides we took on the trip and had a nice time reliving the adventure.  I'm 51 and wish I could turn back the clock a bit; we sure had fun together.

Anyway, riding's fun at whatever level one does it, and it's great to hear he's getting interested.  Finesse will come with time, and it sounds as if he's well on his way.  He's got a good mentor in you.

Hold on to Chengdu in 2014, Jim; no doubt at all you'll make it.

Best,

Dan.