Author Topic: Raven Tour pump mount question.  (Read 2966 times)

faema

Raven Tour pump mount question.
« on: October 01, 2012, 08:37:22 pm »
 is it correct that there is only one attachment spigot on the frame upright for the pump.
  on previous bikes i,ve had the pump is sandwich between 2 of these spigot/pegs. any clues? perhaps there is a bike specific pump that uses the lower part of the frame to retain a pump.
 thanks in advance.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: Raven Tour pump mount question.
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2012, 08:41:03 pm »
Hi, Faema, and welcome to the Forum!

is it correct that there is only one attachment spigot on the frame upright for the pump.

Correct. The little pump-holding boss is at the top, and intended to take a size-specific Zefal HPX pump.

[EDIT: Scratch that and what follows in my response below. It appears from photos of the frame alone at the SJS Cycles site, there is no longer an upper /or/ lower pump peg along the left-side seatstay of the current model. See: http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/thorn-raven-frame-red-prod27985/ ]

There is not a boss at the bottom according to the latest brochure photos (there was on my Sherpa Mk2, and it could accept a pump having locator holes at each end. With a Zefal HPX, it serves merely to aid in locating the bottom [head end] of the pump).

You would need to use a pump with just a locator hole in the handle if you wish to place it alongside the left-side seatstay on a Raven Tour.

SJS Cycles has the Zefal HPX pumps here: http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/zefal-zefal-hpx-vintage-frame-pump-prod22164/

...and are happy to advise with regard to the specific length/number designated needed for your frame size/model Thorn.

Best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 08:50:41 pm by Danneaux »

faema

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2012, 09:22:36 pm »
sorry not familiar with all the frame component jargon yet.
my peg is at the upper end of the vertical tube which accommodates the seat stem. there is no lower peg.
it is neither on the left or right of the seat stay,as you mentioned?
i just wanted to confirm that this is correct and not that they have neglected to put the second i.e lower peg in place whilst building the frame?

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2012, 09:41:08 pm »
Hi Faema!

...my peg is at the upper end of the vertical tube which accommodates the seat stem. there is no lower peg.

<nods> You should be okay to mount a Zefal HPX pump in that location, so long as there is an upper peg. The little "wings" on the pump head should locate themselves near the dropout and hold the bottom of the pump securely.

If it is a *new* Raven Tour, then there won't be *any* pegs...it appears they are no longer included, from what I can see in the latest photos in the Thorn brochure and on the SJS Cycles website.

If it is a really old Raven Tour, then there may be a little...fitting...cross-bar-like things...between the bottom bracket and the chainstay bridge that will accept the "wings" on a Zefal pump head. I saw a Raven Tour in a photo configured this way once. In that case, the upper peg was located on the rear of the seat tube (the vertical tube that accommodates the seat stem).

i just wanted to confirm that this is correct and not that they have neglected to put the second i.e lower peg in place whilst building the frame?

It is possible the lower peg has been left off because it is no longer needed or included. If you can post a photo or describe the age of your bike a little more, I think I/we can come up with a more helpful answer.

If you aren't sure about frame component jargon, there is a graphic I posted here earlier that will prove helpful. See:
http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=4238.0

Here is a direct link for your convenience:
http://aarline.info/hotaar/?p=1

All the best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 11:30:36 pm by Danneaux »

in4

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2012, 11:19:50 pm »
My Mk1 Nomad has the same pump arrangement ie There is an upper peg only. The top of the pump goes there after you have compressed the pump and 'sat' it at the bottom of the frame. My pump is the Zefal HPX.

Here is  photo:

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2012, 11:22:03 pm »
Dandy photo of a lovely bike, Ian. Could we see more of it in the gallery?

Nicely labeled, too.

All the best,

Dan.

Kuba

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2012, 11:29:34 pm »
my peg is at the upper end of the vertical tube which accommodates the seat stem. there is no lower peg.

Hi Faema, I was puzzled by this when got my RT too! You need to stick the pump between the bridges linking chainstays, and the upper pump mounting peg. It is pretty fiddly though and the only design flaw of an otherwise excellent frame. If you call SJSC they will tell you which size Zefal pump will fit in your RT, there are five different sizes or so.

faema

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2012, 07:31:07 am »
I think i have the answer now. (Kuba).
  (in4) I was trying to explain that the peg was not on the diagonal part of the frame as you picture shows but the more upright seat post section. 
 thanks everyone.

Dave Whittle Thorn Workshop

• Thorn Cycles
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2012, 10:42:10 pm »
Raven Tours all have the boss, Latest Raven and Sherpa doesn't have it at all, we now allow wider tyres which wouldn't allow the pump to pass.  So few of our surveyed customers used the pegs (and the dynamo fork boss which the eagle eyed will notice we have left off too) that we took the decision to remove it an recommend the use of a quality mini pump (I'm a big fan or Blackburn Air Sticks).