Technical > Wheels, Tyres and Brakes

Wired v Folding

(1/4) > >>

KDean:
If running tubes is there any point in getting the folding version of the same tyre ?

PH:
Minor differences, weight, possibly stiffer sidewalls.  You do need to be sure they are the same tyre, the name isn't always a reliable indicator, some Schwalbe models have different features and/or compounds between folding and rigid, the Mondial for example.
I have a few of wire bead tyres still in use, I'm in no hurry to change them, but when I am looking for tyres, the better ones do seem to be more likely to be folding.

mickeg:
Look at the tire specifications in more detail.  With Schwalbe and possibly other brands, the folding tire might have other characteristics like rubber compounds, threads per inch, etc.

Example, look at the section on ratings on the Mondial page, they rate the two differently.
https://www.schwalbetires.com/Marathon-Mondial-11100308

The Dureme tire used to be available as both folding and wire bead, the folding version had much more flexible sidewalls and less rolling resistance.  And later they added a third version, a folding version that was labeled "Tandem Ready" that had much more rolling resistance than the other folding version.

The Vittoria Randonneur tire is known to have high rolling resistance, but I am running the Pro (folding) version (discontinued) on my rando bike, the folding version had more threads per inch and I am pretty happy with it. 

JohnR:
A folding tyre is cheaper to post, easier to store and compact enough to take on tour as a spare if going to remote places.

KDean:
flip , I've just ordered wired Mondials .

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version