Technical > Wheels, Tyres and Brakes

Tire recommendation?

<< < (3/3)

martinf:

--- Quote from: PH on February 28, 2023, 10:02:36 am ---I'm a bit wary of tyre comparisons between sizes, manufacturers sometimes change compounds and carcass between them (With good reason, though I'm hazy on detail), sometimes there's even differences between widths in the same wheel size.  Then different sizes require different pressures, so the RR tests on one size might not apply to another.
--- End quote ---

And they (at least Schwalbe) often change the characteristics of a given model in a given size between model years. The 50x559 Supremes I bought recently aren't exactly the same as the ones I bought a few years ago.

Classic one recently was Schwalbe Almotion in 40x622 (700C) There were two versions available, different weights, different rolling resistance and puncture protection characteristics according to Schwalbe.

mickeg:

--- Quote from: martinf on February 28, 2023, 12:11:28 pm ---
--- Quote from: PH on February 28, 2023, 10:02:36 am ---I'm a bit wary of tyre comparisons between sizes, manufacturers sometimes change compounds and carcass between them (With good reason, though I'm hazy on detail), sometimes there's even differences between widths in the same wheel size.  Then different sizes require different pressures, so the RR tests on one size might not apply to another.
--- End quote ---

And they (at least Schwalbe) often change the characteristics of a given model in a given size between model years. The 50x559 Supremes I bought recently aren't exactly the same as the ones I bought a few years ago.

Classic one recently was Schwalbe Almotion in 40x622 (700C) There were two versions available, different weights, different rolling resistance and puncture protection characteristics according to Schwalbe.

--- End quote ---

And to expand on this topic, even same size within one model, sometimes Schwalbe offered two tires, one with Kevlar bead to make it foldable.  The ones with Kevlar bead also had different fabric and rubber compounds so the wire bead version and Kevlar version could be quite different from each other.

And I even found by buying a Dureme that I saw on sale that Schwalbe had made some heavier duty versions for tandems, so I had a very different folding Dureme than my previous folding Dureme that was not labeled "Tandem Ready".

Dave B:
Decided to go for the green guard 26 x 1.75.

PH:

--- Quote from: Dave B on February 28, 2023, 09:03:16 pm ---Decided to go for the green guard 26 x 1.75.

--- End quote ---
I don't think you'll go wrong with them, they'd have probably been on my short list for general use.  They do seem to get overlooked sometimes, or maybe it's that people prioritise one attribute over the others, that's probably what I do.   
Please let us know what you think, of the tyres and bike, when you've done a few miles.
Can't speak for anyone else, but I'm always interested in others perceptions, particularly when it's stuff I've used and their impressions are different.

Dave B:
Well the tyres and tubes arrived Friday. I fitted them on Saturday. The look great, much better than tyres thar came with bike - they had brown sidewalls which showed signs of been deflated for some time. My initial impressions are good, them seem faster . The profile of the tyre is narrower than I expected, perhaps I should have gone for 2 inch. They seem very robust, which is a must due to the nature of my daily route to work. Overall pleased with tyres and very pleased with my “pre loved Raven”  I have recently purchased from Thorn. All the best

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version