Technical > Wheels, Tyres and Brakes

Tire recommendation?

(1/3) > >>

Dave B:
Just purchased my second bike from SJS cycles , a used Thorn Raven - it's in mint condition and I am very happy customer.  :) Looking to replace the tyres. It’s a well worn question, but I would welcome any recommendations in terms of new new tyres. :Daily use on and off road, use canal towpaths  daily, fairly high mileage and puncture protection is important as don’t wish to arrive to work with a flat. Not carrying a heavy load. Would be grateful for any suggestions

PH:
Congratulations on the new bike!
If you are going to absolutely prioritise puncture avoidance. get Marathon Plus.  I'm not a fan, but in this one regard I don't think there's anything better.
A good all round compromise, still very puncture resistant, is the bog standard Marathon, the Greenguard. 
If you want to get the most from your bike and accept the occasional puncture as a reasonable price to pay for it, then there's plenty of choice.  It's over ten years since I had a 26" wheel bike, back then I liked Panaracer Paselas on my Raven. 

martinf:
You will probably have 26" (559) tyres on a Raven. There is less choice in that size nowadays.

I have 50x559  Schwalbe Marathon Supremes for road use on my "touring" Raven Tour, this is a lightweight tyre that rolls well and lasts a long time. I don't get many punctures where I live, but it certainly has less protection than Marathon Plus. But it is no longer in production.

For a mix of road/off-road use on my "utility" Raven Tour I currently have 55x559 Marathon Mondial. This is a heavier and slower tyre, still in production in the slightly smaller 50x559 size. I chose the more expensive folding version, as, according to Schwalbe, the puncture protection and durability is better at 6 out of 7 on Schwalbe's scale for protection and 6 out of 6 for durability. The wired version is rated at 4 out of 7 for protection and 5 out of 6 for durability, but costs less. 

I put "standard" Marathon Plus on the rear wheels of our two visitor bikes, as I don't want visitors messing up the hub gear adjustments when trying to mend punctures. Marathon Plus are heavy, slower than Marathon Mondial, and they don't work quite as well on off-road use (although there is an off road version that I haven't tried that might be better). These limitations don't matter too much, as the bikes are on a small island, so are never ridden for long distances. Marathon Plus are rated 7 out of 7 on Schwalbe's scale for protection and 6 out of 6 for durability. 

energyman:
In a word "Marathon Plus"
(Oh, that's two)

Dave B:
Thanks for the advice guys. I am schwalbe fan, but I may go with the Panracer tyres just to try something different. Thanks again.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version