Author Topic: advice on stem and carbon fork.  (Read 4927 times)

jags

advice on stem and carbon fork.
« on: December 08, 2014, 07:08:50 pm »
Ok lads after Christmas i need to buy new 90mm stem plus  carbon forks for my audax so before i go emailing the good people at sjs what do you lads reckon i should be buying.
a link would be good as well thanks

anto

fossala

Re: advice on stem and carbon fork.
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2014, 07:24:31 pm »
I wouldn't buy the forks as there is nothing wrong with the steel forks you have. Even if you spend a ton of money on a pair you aren't going to be much faster. Put your money towards a lightweight set of handbuilt wheels and good tyres. This will make your bike accelerate and climb better much more than a new set of forks.

As for stem, any will do when was the last time you felt you stem flex?

You always seem to be short of funds when I bump into your threads, spend what little money you have with care.

I'm not trying to cause offence, just trying to offer honest advice. Please don't take it negatively.

jags

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2014, 08:05:04 pm »
i have a set of lightweigh custom wheels and tyres the wife bought me for Christmas  ;),the carbon forks will not make me any faster that's for certain  but it will lighten the front end  ,i seen a stem on chainreaction (DEDA) going for 19 euro on sale but its 100mm  i was hoping to get 90,

anyway no rush on me none of these changes will happen this side of Christmas.
BTW nothing in your post that i would concider to be offensive  ::).

cheers
jags.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2014, 11:03:26 pm »
+1 to Fossala's advice, Anto; it's good!

(...and put the mudguards back on else you'll have a wet stripe up your back!  ;) )

All the best,

Dan.

honesty

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2014, 11:25:24 am »
When I got a carbon fork from SJS it was the Ambrosio momentum one. It was a decent fork, and at 650g its about 500g lighter than the stock audax steel forks. I've switched it out recently though for one of their 853 forks. It looks better to me, it's only a fraction heavier (at 800g) and gives clearance for 28mm tyres and mudguards. I got bought it as a birthday present though as it's silly expensive.

leftpoole

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2014, 11:59:20 am »
Hello,
The Carbon fork on my Black Audax is a Kinesis DC07, but of course Anto thinks mudguards are rubbish (this fork allows mudguards with 28 mm tyres) and I guess he will fit 23mm tyres to 'go faster ' too? So a narrow hard unforgiving carbon fork will do the job.
I wish I had kept those mudguards!
Regards,
John

jags

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2014, 01:03:31 pm »
dont worry john all good things come to those who wait.. ;D ;D

heres one for ya john, get yourself a spin on a colnargo c50 with  carbon wheels and tubs( no mudguards) take it for a good spin and report back .

guarantee you will never ride a steel touring bike again. ;)

so this argument about riding lightweight bikes wont make you go faster and make cycling  far easier ,you guys are off your rockers ,even riding solo  a lightweigh bike is 100 times better.these audax /touring bikes should only be taken out when your either audaxing or touring .
so before yis shoot me try out a  lightweight bike and i mean a lightweight not a copy ,then tell me i'm wrong ;)

anto.

leftpoole

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2014, 01:09:31 pm »
I have owned/ridden Colnago c40 and numerous other lighter weight bikes.
You cannot go camping on an Italian road racing bike.
You can go camping/touring/riding/ or whatever you want to, on a Thorn.
Obviously your head has been turned as if by magic because your friends have more money and lighter weight bikes. As I mentioned earlier, 'I give up'.
Regards,
John

jags

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2014, 01:27:02 pm »
Thats not what im saying John ,im saying lightweigh bikes are far easier to ride effordless .not talking touring or audax im talking for easier cycling take out you touring bike when you want to go touring  .

btw i'm gonna give up this forum in the next few days it seems i'm the only gobshite on it all you lads are way ahead of this kid .
bye bye now  and a happy christmas to all.

anto.

Slammin Sammy

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2014, 03:21:55 pm »
Anto, please don't go anywhere (except for a spin around your beautiful Irish countryside). We need you right here!  ???

leftpoole

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2014, 03:30:40 pm »
oooops!    :)

bobs

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2014, 05:42:07 pm »
Anto,

you are on of the best characters on this forum and would be sadly missed. Perhaps its just a change of medication you need ;) ;D

Bob

Neil Jones

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2014, 05:46:09 pm »
Please have a rethink Jags  :(. You are one of the main contributors to the forum and it will be a much poorer place without your bike knowledge and wonderful photos of your bike in the Irish countryside.
Regards,
Neil

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2014, 05:59:17 pm »
I had a Legnano racing bike, sew-up tires etc. Probably a 1972ish bike that I bought in 1975 and had to let go of in 1992. That bike would fly! Sometimes I think about getting another zippy bike like that. If keeping up with other riders was important - well, it'd take a lot more than a new bike!

I can be out exploring the countryside all day on my Nomad and be comfortable and confident. No doubt about it though, those racing bikes are exhilarating!

Kuba

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2014, 06:02:37 pm »
Hey Anto, come on, I mainly check this forums for your posts! They're amusing, in a positive way.

More to the point, no clue how much faster I ride on the Cyclosportiff compared to the Raven Tour, if at all, but it feels a great deal faster. So I see where you're coming from. These days Thorns are quite utilitarian, they used to build fun bikes like XTC or your Audax 853 (though clearly it's not fun enough for some ;)) but now entirely focus on utility above all else. This makes me wonder, if it's not partly cause by the fact that regardless of all arguments on the strength and durability of steel frames etc., if someone wants a super light bike then they'll always choose the carbon stuff over Thorn anyway. Which is maybe what you really should do...? If you want to have fun on a super light bike, then that's that. Thorn themselves would likely tell you to look elsewhere for that.

But don't take offence when others tell you swapping forks won't make much difference, you're really unlikely to notice 500g less up front, and climbing as far as I know is more to do with short wheelbase than forks (which is why my Cyclosportiff is so nippy on uphills - any takers before Christmas by the way? ;)).

My advice - wait for the spring, sell the Audax, get a bike that will make you happy.