Author Topic: cure for heartburn.  (Read 2812 times)

jags

cure for heartburn.
« on: May 09, 2012, 09:03:07 pm »
Lads can i ask does anyone have a cure for heartburn,
this past couple months i've been getting heartburn every time i'm out on the bike,
i stopped taking energy drinks taught that might be the cause now i just add spoonful of honey and a wee
drop of orange squash to my bidon, but still get it.
so any help greatly appreciated.
cheers
jags.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: cure for heartburn.
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2012, 09:58:13 pm »
jags,

This may be a long shot but has your doctor checked you for a hiatal hernia?

The bent-over position while cycling combined with the exertion can worsen this condition if one has it, causing a reflux of stomach acid into the esophagus. If it is a persistent problem, I really would urge a doctor visit to check on the possibility of GERD (gastroesphageal reflux disease).

Some medications can make heartburn worse. My dad took some cholesterol-lowering meds by prescription and had to stop for that very reason. Diet can be a factor, as can weight for some people.

If you only get the feeling of heartburn during heavy exertion, then it really would be a good idea to see a doctor to rule out anything heart-related with a stress test or whatever.

Really, please take this seriously, jags.

All the best,

Dan. "not the MD kind of doctor, the other kind"

jags

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2012, 11:35:00 pm »
thanks dan yeah i'm on cholesterol and my diet, well sweet tooth syndrom i'm afraid :-[
to be honest i can get hearburn anytime not just through cycling.
but anyway i'll get it checked next visit to doc.
cheers Dan
 jags.

mylesau

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2012, 04:09:58 am »
Jags, I had a bad bout of heartburn not so long ago and mentioned it to my doctor.  He gave me a prescription drug - sorry don't recall the name, probably different in your part of the world anyway - it cured the heart burn almost overnight.  The prescription was in tablet form - 1 per day for a month, I only needed it for about 2 weeks - it prevents/reduces the amount of acid your body produces in your stomach - acid being the cause of the 'burn'.  He suggested often you just need to allow the effected area to heal properly - which is what this prescription helps to do - and then the burn goes away.  If it comes back, further investigation is required.

I haven't had a problem since.

The pain can be debilitating - it had me up all night a few times, sculling baking soda and all manner of home remedies, some helped but none solved the problem.

A quick visit to a GP would be my recommendation - it can be a sign of other more serious problems.

[The prescription was for 'Nexium 40mg esomeprazole' - some details here]
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 07:45:42 am by mylesau »

macspud

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2012, 12:57:23 pm »
Jags,

When you are in for a check up ask for a Helicobacter test, it is a bacteria that can be present in the stomach and causes heart burn. If you have it it's easily cured with a coarse of three different antibiotic for 2/3 weeks. my uncle had hellish heartburn for years and years until it was suggested that he ask for the test, sure enough it was present and three weeks later he was cured and hasn't had heartburn since, over ten years now. Seemingly it is a common cause of heartburn but strangely it's not a test that's offered routinely, at least in this country (UK).

I hope one way or another you find a cure.

Cheers,

Iain.

jags

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2012, 04:30:22 pm »
thanks lads i'll sure ask the doctor next time i'm in can be a right pain in more ways than one when your out cycling and you can'y even drink water :'(

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2012, 08:25:02 pm »
i'll sure ask the doctor next time i'm in
Thanks, jags! I feel better about that. No sense feeling miserable if there is an alternative and best to get checked-out by a pro.

All the best,

Dan.

jags

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2012, 08:59:34 pm »
Dan my wife will see if she can get an appointment for the morning for me. ;)
see what he says hopefully i'll get something from him.

JWestland

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2012, 10:27:45 am »
Aside from all the other very good comments, I guess you already tried the "less pasties and other junk food" and "less alcohol" method? ;)

In my case red wine sets off  heart burn. Maybe there's a food that's become a trigger food?

Sugary foods don't need a lot of stomach acid to be digested so not sure if the sweet tooth has something to do with it, but sometimes you think you're stomach is sore, but the problem is caused lower down, eg the stomach can't get rid of it's content.

Again not a medical (or any) doctor! Let's see what the "pill" says :)

Pedal to the metal! Wind, rain, hills, braking power permitting ;)

jags

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2012, 12:44:00 pm »
emm you could be right i think coffee  might be a big factor so i've now stopped well almost drinking it.
anyway just back from the doctor he reckons i could have a very small hernia. he wanted to put the scope down to take a look but i told him to forget that plan (i'm a complete wuss) doctor just give me the pills  so he did, hopefully  they will do the trick.
thanks everyone for the comments and advice much appreciated.
cheers
jags.