Author Topic: New SON Edelux coming Spring 2024 and...  (Read 3089 times)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
New SON Edelux coming Spring 2024 and...
« on: August 24, 2023, 04:36:51 pm »
...it has remarkably high claimed output and includes an integrated charger.

Reach for your wallets!  ;D

Google translation to English...
https://nabendynamo-de.translate.goog/edelux-ladescheinwerfer/?_x_tr_sl=de&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en&_x_tr_pto=wapp
German original...
https://nabendynamo.de/edelux-ladescheinwerfer/

Best, Dan.

mickeg

Re: New SON Edelux coming Spring 2024 and...
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2023, 05:43:33 pm »
Thanks for posting.

I have developed a preference to a USB charger that is separate from the light. When I go on a bike tour on an airplane with my S&S coupled bike, I no longer bring dyno powered lights, instead the hub is only used for USB power for batteries. I bought a Cycle2Charge V3 last summer, that worked pretty good at keeping all my electronics powered on a two week tour this past spring.

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2023, 08:01:17 pm »
Hi Mick
Could you fill out a few details on your charging set up please.
Does it charge a power bank and then you charge items?
I've heard it can be tricky directly charging items/ phones?

Thanks

Matt
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

PH

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2023, 09:36:18 pm »
Thanks, I think! 
I am a sucker for new lights, even though I'm entirely happy with the set up I have now.  I too like to keep lighting and charging separate, mainly because I don't really need the charging, other than as a back up.  The charger, Igaro D1,is only ever going to be a temporary fitting when needed, which also means it can be available for all bikes.

Andre Jute

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2023, 02:26:40 am »
This new Edelux Dan linked, if it does everything on the consumer model that is claimed to be onboard the prototype, might just be the major step forward we've been waiting for since the last one, which was the launch of the Cyo, which for the first time brought grown-up car-type lighting to bicycles. 1200mA in the built-in store won't be enough to fully charge an iPhone, but it is perfect as the stabiliser (a constant current device in the jargon) that may allow you to plug the iPhone in to suck off the battery even as the battery is being recharged. It sounds clever to me; I have lots of experience with constant current devices (in thermionic tube audio, where rechargeable batteries replacing resistance/capacitor bypasses in the cathode networks were part of what made my amps sound so superior), and am very keen indeed on correctly scaled batteries as constant current components between the power source and expensive sensitive electronics.     

Currently, I plug my fully charged iPhone for my bike into a recharged power bank which goes with the iPhone in a weatherproof baggie clipped onto the handlebars, and arrive home generally speaking with my phone fully charged even if I went wild with trying to find some obscure overgrown lane on the map. The power bank holds enough charge to do this several times, or twice when starting with a near-empty iPhone. I could charge both the iPhone and the power bank from the 36V battery to drive the bike but the wiring would be messy. So a lamp which works well with the hub dynamo and the iPhone (essential to me not because I get lost but for my heart rate by which I regulate my input at the pedals) would be a welcome advance on off-bike charging.

We'll see what gives when the new Edelux actually arrives.

Well found, Dan!

PS Duh. Nearly forgot the most important feature promised for the new Edelux, high and low beams, which I last enjoyed on a bike after building it myself for my Gazelle Toulouse from decorators' MR11 and MR16 track lamps, powered by a handlebar full of rechargeable NiCad batteries.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2023, 02:42:31 am by Andre Jute »

mickeg

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2023, 07:54:51 pm »
Hi Mick
Could you fill out a few details on your charging set up please.
Does it charge a power bank and then you charge items?
I've heard it can be tricky directly charging items/ phones?

Thanks

Matt

I have used both the Sinewave Revolution and the Cycle2Charge V3 for charging.  Sinewave puts out less current than the Cycle2Charge, but the Cycle2Charge does not start charging until you are at about 6.5 or 7 miles per hour.  But at that slow speed, only minimal power would come out of the Sinewave.  Where this slow speed does become an issue is if you are trying to charge something that does not like the on and off cycles when in hilly terrain.

I wrote up a long post on how I wired up my randonneuring (or audax for UK) bike, that is at this link at a different forum (it is not a Thorn bike).  There is not a lot of discussion of the charging, but it has a few photos, and I answered questions there:
https://www.bikeforums.net/electronics-lighting-gadgets/1228845-wiring-up-dyno-powered-lighting-system-usb-charger.html

That said, if I am using my S&S bike, I only use the USB charger with the hub, no lights.  That really simplifies wiring.

With the Sinewave, I charged up a power bank and used that to charge other devices.  I tried to find a powerbank that offers pass through capability, can be charged and discharged at the same time.  That way I could charge things and at the same time be charging up the powerbank that is charging them.  That was how I charged my GPS while on a tour.  Some other items like camera batteries and phone, I could do the same thing.  I usually charged up my taillight batteries (AAA NiMH rechargeable) in the campsite from the powerbank.  I charged taillight batteries once a week on average.

Or to summarize, I only charged things from the power bank, but usually was also charging the powerbank from the hub.  There is one exception, below.

More on my electronics here, but this was written before I bought the Cycle2Charge.
http://thorncyclesforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=13696.0

One more thing I found with the cycle2charge, when charging the pass through pwer bank and at the same time charging the GPS, the GPS would get unhappy whenever I went over or under the speed where power from teh Cycle2charge would cut out.  I never had this problem with teh Sinewave. 

I usually directly charged my GPS from the Cycle2charge if I did not anticipate much slow speed riding, or if I anticipated slower speeds that would cause the Cycle2Charge to frequently stop charging, then I just charged GPS from the powerbank but was not charging the powerbank at that same time.

I do not use a cycling GPS, it is very possible that cycling GPS units may work better for charging, they typically have a Li Ion battery.  My GPS uses AA batteries and I can charge NiMH rechargeable AA batteries in the unit with a USB cable, which is what I usually do on a bike tour. 

If I had brought spare AA batteries with me, I might have just swapped the batteries and charged up the other pair in the charger that I already had for the AAA batteries.  That is a possible fix for my dilemma.

More on the Cycle2Charge here:
http://thorncyclesforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=12890.msg110427