Author Topic: WITHDRAWN Thorn Nomad for sale with Rohloff and S&S  (Read 7097 times)

jags

Re: WITHDRAWN - Thorn Nomad for sale with Rohloff and S&S
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2014, 10:12:43 pm »
best news i heard today. ;)
you know it makes sense.

jags.

sd

« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2014, 04:02:52 pm »
If you change your mind let me know?  Thanks JB

phopwood

« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2014, 04:11:36 pm »
A bike like that, you should keep, so very versatile.

Peter.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2014, 06:22:47 pm »
Reading between the lines, perhaps this is another instance where a change in position makes all the difference in the world. The new handlebars are surely a better fit to the saddle height for a tall rider.

It is a lovely bike, and I can surely understand why the seller would wish to keep it if it could be made workable.

Best,

Dan.

jags

« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2014, 07:24:19 pm »
i know  in my case been out of work its always lack of money sell things for fast cash, but it never works out quiet like that.theres always this ginormass big hole waiting to swallow up every feckin penny  you manage to get.sell nothing just not worth it.

b1ke

« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2014, 08:12:49 pm »

Absolutely. It's the S&S couplings that give it the edge over a standard frame. I've just come back from a ride to The Gambia (www.thespokeandwords.wordpress.com) and we caught the bus and hitch-hiked part of the route. I loved the variety and it gave me an appetite for multi-modal overlanding. An expedition touring bike that folds/splits is the ultimate vehicle for this kind of travel.

Reading between the lines, perhaps this is another instance where a change in position makes all the difference in the world. The new handlebars are surely a better fit to the saddle height for a tall rider

Also true. Taking the bike off-road, I realised the bullhorns were limited in their use, even though I loved the look of them. The trekking bars, though aesthetically suspect, are wide and give the bike greater stability.

i know  in my case been out of work its always lack of money sell things for fast cash

Yep, that was part of the driver for selling. I've just started back at work today, so that's taken the heat off a bit financially, but lack of cash certainly contributed to me wanting to sell. I've done it before and it's not good policy. There are certain bikes that I've always regretted moving on.

Having said all of the above, the frame is small for me. The reach is fine and I can ride all day on it, but I'll be on the lookout for a larger S&S frame, preferably on a Nomad. The frame build is superb.

sd

« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2014, 08:07:09 am »
SELL IT TO ME, IGNORE EVERYBODY ELSE, THEY NO NOTHING. THINK OF YOUR POOR STARVING CHILDREN. IF YOU HAVE NO CHILDREN THINK OF THE BEER YOU CAN BUY WITH ALL THAT MONEY?

sd

« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2014, 08:11:16 am »

Peter.
Thanks thanks a lot :'(

sd

« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2014, 08:20:30 am »
£1150 and 10 bottles of my home made Cyser (cider + honey).
     I was going to take it to Thorn have the Rolhoff upgraded to disc. Front changed to suspension with disc and dynamo. Now my life has been ruined by somebody giving you a job! Please let me know the name of the firm so I can burn there office down!!!!

b1ke

« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2014, 09:13:56 am »
Front changed to suspension

The Mk1 Nomad wasn't designed for front suspension. http://www.sjscycles.com/thornpdf/ThornRavenNomadBroLoRes.pdf

Also, the current front forks don't have disc brake mounts.

I'd have thought you'd be better off buying something like this and having the S&S added afterwards if you need it to split... http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=8209.0. I think it would be a cheaper option. Not sure why you'd want to convert to disc though? The vee brakes are excellent and ceramic rims are very resistant to wear.

sd

« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2014, 09:17:57 am »
Already sorted with Thorn offered to do all work. Could have had non suspension forks if wanted. My 3 previous post should not be taken seriously. JB

sd

« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2014, 09:36:23 am »
My requirements are discs front and rear (suspension front acceptable). Touring bike ie will take full mud guards and rear front rack.  Could could possibly live with rim brakes but an old bike I had disc front and rim back and I am on 5th rear wheel. So prefer disc. Must be disc rear as I would not be happy have to pay for a Rolhoff equipped wheel to be replaced. JB

b1ke

AVAILABLE AGAIN - Thorn Nomad for sale with Rohloff and S&S
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2014, 09:13:31 am »
I've tried various options with this bike, but I have to accept that it's just too small for me, so I'm going to move some parts to my folding bike and sell the frame/forks and some other bits once I've done the transferring.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 10:26:16 am by b1ke »

sd

Re: WITHDRAWN Thorn Nomad for sale with Rohloff and S&S
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2014, 11:06:33 am »
PM sent

sd

Re: WITHDRAWN Thorn Nomad for sale with Rohloff and S&S
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2014, 12:51:59 pm »
   Bollocks all that work for nothing thought you were selling the whole bike. Back to the drawing board!