Author Topic: Do I have too many bikes?  (Read 3346 times)

CWM

Do I have too many bikes?
« on: April 19, 2014, 09:19:15 pm »
Here is the Thorn element of my bike garage.  These are all bought second hand,  either as complete bikes or as frames and then assembled  with some parts sourced on the CTC forum.  There is also a Dawes Galaxy Twin tandem and a Gensis steel framed mountain bike with an Alfine 8 speed hub. Apologies if this seems greedy, it sometimes feels like it might be.  Sometime the most stressful part of the day is deciding which bike to ride to the office.  I think I need to post the other bikes separately, so hopefully they will appear shortly

CWM

Re: Do I have too many bikes?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2014, 09:20:43 pm »
and now the others

jags

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2014, 10:00:43 pm »
fantastic collection fair play. 8)

jags.

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2014, 10:02:42 pm »
My theory is: if you take good care of them, it isn't greedy. What makes no sense is ruining things, through whatever combination of commission and omission.  

CWM

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2014, 10:22:44 pm »
It just sort of happened. I got the CT to replace my aging tourer as an all round bike, but it was so nice that I didn't want to use it for the winter commute, so bought the Sherpa frame set and built that up. Ended up using that well into the summer months as I liked it so much.  I was using the CT when out with the Sunday morning crowd on their titanium/carbon bikes, but it was getting harder to keep up. So when I saw an audax for sale I thing that would be a useful addition. 

The RST? Well, I'm  just interested in bikes and see the bike as a means of transport and for use in a sort of an all round way, not just to go very fast, and something with a Rohloff seemed to be such a good idea, so when someone from this forum offered me this, how could I refuse?! A pretty good commuting bike I would think.  Also intrigued to try flat bars since the good people of SJS think they are such a good idea.

I should also say that two of the frames came from leftpoole of this parish. 

Relayer

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2014, 08:12:58 am »
Hi CWM

I think that so long as the bikes are getting used then you have nothing to worry about, it's a shame if a bike is left lying around gathering dust.

I have 4 bikes, one of them is a 'best bike' which is 16 years old and only comes out in summer, I have no quibbles about this given the amount of horrible salt and goo they put on the roads here in winter ... I also have my RST just laughs at all that muck.

I think that RSTs make the perfect commuter/winter bike, but you also have the option for some variety which is no bad thing. The fact that you cycle to the office is to be applauded, and will let you get good use out of all your bikes.

Happy cycling.

Jim

jags

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2014, 10:06:01 am »
i think leftpool should start a bikeshop. :)

leftpoole

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2014, 10:14:46 am »
i think leftpool should start a bikeshop. :)

Anto!
I used to have 16 bikes when I was wealthier and before I got ill. I now 'only' have 4 but I do have a complete bikes less the frame waiting in the wings.
John

jags

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2014, 10:31:20 am »
i'm happy with just the one  ;)

i had 4 at one time .
wellim away out on me new audax tiss a grand morning here in sunny ireland.

anto.

bikerta

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2014, 03:03:13 pm »
It's pouring down here, with a cold wind with it. Not great cycling weather for us. Good job I went out yesterday and hopefully another ride tomorrow before back at work on Tuesday. Unfortunately, then I get very little time, though I am going to have to find some time for riding. I work 60 hours a week Mon to Friday, so it's either a very early start in the morning or go off for a ride when I finish work around 7.30pm, trouble is I am shattered by then.

RobertL

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2014, 03:33:56 pm »
Have not suffered from the n+1 syndrome as my RST covers the bases.

Sometimes wonder about a Brompton, the lightweight two speed version, but not sure of how far you can comfortably ride one in a day - even though there are some earthrounders who use them.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2014, 03:41:46 pm »
What a wonderful collection, CWM! And...they're being used, as they should be.

I think if a person has the inclination and room to support such a healthful hobby -- and added bikes increase the enjoyment of it -- then why not?

A real joy to see.

I think I need to post the other bikes separately, so hopefully they will appear shortly
Yes, if featured, best to link to them off-site so the Forum can remain Thorn-centric in thanks and respect for their kindness in providing this little playground to us all.

Best,

Dan.

CWM

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2014, 11:37:20 pm »
And here is the RST in action yesterday.  In Cawdor on the way to the office.  Was enjoying the bike so much I cycled all the way in to the office and all the way home again. Which is an 80 mile round trip. 

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2014, 12:21:52 am »
My! What a terrific shot of the RST at rest for just a moment. Looks like a bird in flight.

I'm guessing the 80-mile round-trip commute was never so much fun!

Just delighted for you, CWM; thanks for sharing this, the latest.

Best,

Dan.

Andre Jute

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2014, 01:15:48 am »
What a striking bike.