Author Topic: Thorn Customer Service: Newbie's first experience  (Read 2553 times)

badger1

Thorn Customer Service: Newbie's first experience
« on: October 12, 2009, 06:28:18 pm »
Hello all:  'newbie' (to Thorn/these boards) here.  I'm about to order a Thorn frameset (I'm in Canada), and just wanted to mention publicly how impressed I am with the very quick, very informative, and friendly responses (by Andy Blance) I received to some emailed queries about the new Ripio.  I for one find this very impressive, and it has pretty much 'sealed the deal' for me, at any rate. 
Cheers :)

Tito

Re: Thorn Customer Service: Newbie's first experience
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2009, 09:05:21 pm »
I agree. I ordered mine from NYC, without ever seeing a thorn in vivo. Nothing but praise for customer service.

jags

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2009, 10:03:37 pm »
wait until you get the bike then you will be really impressed ;)

badger1

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2009, 10:22:12 pm »
Yes -- I certainly expect that to be so!  Can't wait, really; order going in soon -- do the build over the winter.  Well, not really a build so much as a transfer of everything from frame to frame, once I have the b/b faced (for external bb crankset).  Bike (the new Ripio frame) will be set up to alternate between rigid carbon fibre mtb fork (fast commuting/road) and suspension, both running discs.  Should be a treat ;D

garyper

• Gary and Sandy's Adventures
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2009, 11:42:15 am »
Hi Everyone,

Gary here from Darwin, Australia.  I've just ordered two Raven Tours for the wife and I.  I would like to echo your comments, Lisa has been absolutely fabulous and I cant wait to get our bikes.

Cheers
Gary (soon to be Raven Tour owner)

jags

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2009, 12:03:56 pm »
wow gary your a long way off my son is heading your way next year,but apart from all that dont know much about the raven i ride the sherpa ,but by all accounts your in for a really nice treat super bike ,im sure a few raven owners will be along shortly to let you know how they preform.
do you do all your touring in aus.
cheers
jags

garyper

• Gary and Sandy's Adventures
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2009, 12:41:54 pm »
Thanks Jags,  We have only done two 'real' tours, one in Tasmania and the other in North Queensland.  The current plan is to head to the UK next year on an open ended tour heading east.

Cheers
Gary

vik

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2009, 03:45:45 pm »
I've had 3 Thorn frames shipped to Canada.  Service was prompt and quality was high.

safe riding,

Vik
www.thelazyrando.com
Safe riding,

Vik
www.thelazyrando.com

badger1

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2009, 05:54:02 pm »
Hello, Vik:
   We've never met, of course, but in fact my decision to go ahead with a (long contemplated) Thorn purchase is predicated partly on comments you and others from NA and elsewhere have made on various forums, etc.  Andy Blance's prompt, informative response was very reassuring.  I've also long been following your blog :) 
   I don't know how things are in Alberta, but here in Ontario there really are very few cyclists who 'go' for the kinds of bikes Thorn (and other European makers) produce.  I've never seen a Thorn bike 'live'!  Here, seems to me there are many, many people riding full-on road bikes, mtbs ('roadified', as in my case, at times), 700c/drop bar touring, or 'comfort' bikes (ugh) who'd be better served by 'touring' bikes ranging from light-to-heavy-to 'touring mtb', flat bars or drops, depending on intended use.  There's always the custom option (e.g. True North is about an hour from me), but that is (for me) far too expensive.
   So, I've had to 'work up' to this decision, which comes down to either the Ripio (derailleur = Sterling) or Sherpa (I like 26" wheels/widish tires).  Still not absolutely sure which (almost certain the Ripio), but it will be one of those two (frame only) shortly.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 05:56:19 pm by badger1 »