Author Topic: Thorn Enduro Raven Rohloff mountain bike  (Read 9356 times)

eltel

Re: Thorn Enduro Raven Rohloff and a Charger Alfine 11
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2014, 06:55:37 pm »
I have the alfine hub, maybe not an rohlhoff, but still an 8 speed hub. I don't think if it comes to buying second hand the hub is worth that much more, if money is not a concern when buying new, that  I can understand, but clearly buying second hand price is important. I just cannot see what extra someone would think this hub will give

Olddognewtricks

« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2014, 10:33:25 pm »
Hello
You could work out the frame size by measuring the various dimensions and comparing it with the original brochure. There is a link to it in the Historical Archive post in the Thorn General forum thread (fantastic source of info btw). I'm guessing yours is a 559M. I'm 6' 1" so a 589L would be ideal.
Any chance you could confirm the frame size?
Thanks
Matt

sd

« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2014, 09:00:24 am »
Will do so

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2014, 10:15:39 am »
Hi Eltel,

Welcome to the Thorn Cycling Forum. Best of luck as you refine your own search for a Thorn. I think you'll find the Forum ready to offer help and suggestions if you need them as you near making a purchase.  

You asked...[summarized by me]...
why would someone pay [more] for an 8 year old bike, rather than buy a new...cheaper sherpa  with derailleur?...what am I missing
This is a legitimate question and one often asked by those contemplating Thorn's complete model line for the first time. The difference in price can be confusing at first when comparing new bikes and can be for used ones as well.

There are good reasons for the differences in price.

It is the Rohloff hub and a frame specifically designed for it that makes this bike's value -- and asking price -- higher than for a comparable bike with derailleur drivetrain. People shopping for a Rohloff bike will likely already know its advantages and reasons for higher cost and will keep this in mind when comparing prices. Of course, owner/sellers are free to set their own asking price, and the market/buyer will decide if it is fair and make a purchase or not.

The Rohloff 14-sp hub is an expensive piece of kit, alone valued at more than many a complete lesser bike, and it has a number of virtues missing in other internally-geared hubs (IGHs) including Shimano's current offerings, making it ideally suited for loaded touring and demanding use in foul conditions. Among them:

• It has exceptionally wide-range gearing for an IGH hub, equal to a conventional triple-chainring derailleur setup.
• The jumps between gears are all evenly spaced, unlike other IGH hubs or derailleur drivetrains.
• The hub is exceptionally robust and long-lived and its straight chainline and high-quality materials (stainless steel reversible sprocket) result in a long life for the chain and chainring as well.
• The ability to maintain high drive efficiency under truly horrible conditions.
• Exceptionally low maintenance, usually consisting of only an annual oil change.
• Rohloff's warranty is exceptional as well.
• The hub and its attendant components (shifter, etc) are hand-assembled to a very high standard and the parts are all unique to Rohloff and designed in light of the hub's mission. Like any similar piece of specialized kit, this makes it more expensive than a mass-produced item for which economies of scale, mass distribution, interchangability and competition all play a role in reducing prices.

These virtues differ from those in a bicycle with derailleur drivetrain. Whether or not someone needs them will depend on their preference and intended use. I enjoy my Rohloff and derailleur bikes equally but for different reasons.

Thorn's Rohloff-specific frame design is meant to enhance the hub's advantages with direct and well-conceived cable routing, dropouts, and an eccentric bottom bracket for chain tensioning. These features are explained in Thorn's brochures for it's Rohloff offerings and in great detail by Thorn's designer, Andy Blance, in his publication Living With A Rohloff Hub available for download as a PDF here: http://www.sjscycles.com/thornpdf/ThornLivingWithARohloff.pdf For owner opinions on the Rohloff hub and what makes it unique, see: http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=675.0

There is another factor at play in the pricing of this particular bicycle: It is no longer in production, and it is a model with no direct successor in the current line. For the person looking for a cross-country mountain bike -- a type for which the Rohloff's low maintenance, long life, and high efficiency in muddy conditions is a virtue coupled with a short-chainstay frame, with fork and brakes designed for the same kind of use -- this bike may well be worth the premium over a current Thorn model with derailleur drivetrain and a very different focus. For more on the Enduro, see the brochure here in PDF form: http://web.archive.org/web/20050331180703/http://www.sjscycles.com/thornpdf/ThornEnduroBroHiRes.pdf

I hope this answers your question. As for pricing, in this case as in all others, the market will decide what is fair and it will result in a sale -- or not -- at the asking price. Whether this very specialized model is "worth it" will depend on the buyer's needs and interests, as in all sales new or used.

Best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 12:11:40 pm by Danneaux »

sd

« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2014, 04:18:55 pm »
Hello
You could work out the frame size by measuring the various dimensions and comparing it with the original brochure. There is a link to it in the Historical Archive post in the Thorn General forum thread (fantastic source of info btw). I'm guessing yours is a 559M. I'm 6' 1" so a 589L would be ideal.
Any chance you could confirm the frame size?
Thanks
Matt

Hi Matt I have sent you PM but not sure doing it right let me know if not getting them.

sd

« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2014, 04:27:11 pm »
I have the alfine hub, maybe not an rohlhoff, but still an 8 speed hub. I don't think if it comes to buying second hand the hub is worth that much more, if money is not a concern when buying new, that  I can understand, but clearly buying second hand price is important. I just cannot see what extra someone would think this hub will give
If you have/buy a "27" derailleur geared bike. You will have 13 different gears not 27.
2 of those gears combinations are unusable large cog back combined with large at front chain to tight. Same the other way round only the chain will be to lose.
9 cogs back 1 cog front = 9 gears
9 cogs back 2 cogs front = 11 gears NOT 18
9 cogs back 3 cogs front = 13 gears Not 27
The chain wheel (front cog) and rear sprocket(cog) will last at least 6 times longer than derailleur gears. The Rolhoff themselves will last forever!
The disc brakes will mean you will not ever need to replace rims/wheels. One of my bikes which has rim brakes on the rear but has disc front has worn out 5 rear rims in 12 years.
    Therefore if you use a bike a lot as in my case as my only means of transport (one bus a week nearest shop 6 miles away) then Rolhoff is in fact a bargain.
   I am selling to buy that same again but a tourer with Rolhoff as I tend to carry a lot.
   I would not advise you to buy 1 unless you use it enough, want to do minimal maintance and save a lot of money. I believe in investing to save......pennies make pounds, pounds buy beer.
   Hope that helps.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 04:47:19 pm by sd »

sd

« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2014, 07:31:51 pm »
Hi
What size frame is the Raven?
Matt

Got copy of documents from owner. It is a 559m Average size men 5'8" to 6' Thank you JB
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 07:47:06 pm by sd »

sd

« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2014, 09:50:44 am »
The stem is longer supposedly to accommodate a taller rider it is 6.5 cm extra.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 11:09:20 am by sd »

sd

Re: Thorn Enduro Raven Rohloff Alfine 11 sold
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2014, 06:04:16 pm »
Sold Alfine 11 for £500 lost a £10 on original price sold of eBay