Author Topic: Rides 2013 — add yours  (Read 34644 times)

sdg_77

• Hadrian's Wall and a Half
Re: Rides 2013 — add yours
« Reply #105 on: July 25, 2013, 11:17:42 am »
Just back from a short break in Jersey, not a 'normal tour' but perhaps worth recounting ...

We hired a couple of bikes as taking the Thorns would have entailed extra cost and too much faffing about for three or four days on a small island.  I can just imagine turning up at Birmingham airport with two packed up bikes on the first day of the school summer holidays ........

Stayed in a B&B in the centre of the island (St Lawrence) and pootling around the network of green lanes gives a great sense of what the island is really like.  The local drivers are at least very tolerant of cyclists, and in many cases helpful to the point of holding back at junctions and waving us on.  Just watch out for the hire cars ... easy enough to spot as they have a conspicuous H on the number plates.  There are few 'main roads' and the ones in the towns tend to have alteratives or off-road cycle paths nearby,  they island has also gone for letting cyclists go against the traffic in one-way streets.  This is 'interesting' but given the size of the roads and the high stone walls no-one drives at any real speed.

Jersey is only 9 miles by 5 (~40 miles around the coastal cycle route) so there are no great distances to cover and no need to rush.  Clearly, the island is affluent and not adventure cycling territory!  In the past few years the local tourism organisations have moved away from beach holidays and more towards pushing the island as a walking and cycling destination.  The green lanes network is restricted to 15mph and well signposted,  there are also several marked up cycle routes which can be joined up to make a tour of the whole island or just one section.  Lots of historical sites to visit which are all signed  from the cycle routes.  There are several bike hire setups on the island so I guess it is working,  we didn't see anyone on a tourer with panniers,  although lots of people out for a whizz along the sea wall path in St Helier and lots of commuters at the end of the day.

We hired our bikes from Aaron's bikes, (http://www.jerseybikerepairs.com/hire-info/) and had them delivered/and collected from our B&B Villa d'Oro (http://www.villadorojersey.com/)
I'd recommend both of these as everything went as expected.  Zebra hire looks pretty well organised too and their free map of the island was the one we used almost exclusively.

Island info here: http://www.jersey.com/english/sightsandactivities/cycling/pages/default.aspx

Routes here:
http://app.strava.com/activities/69290974
http://app.strava.com/activities/69290965
http://app.strava.com/activities/69290955

The weather was unusually warm and sunny for the UK so the times reflect the many stops for drinks and admiring the view.

We both missed our spd pedals but apart from that the hire bikes were pretty good. All in all, a great break and ideal for anyone looking to unwind or wanting to take young children with them.

A couple of photos here:  http://www.flickr.com/photos/steve_gale/9365246086/in/photostream/

sdg.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 11:34:11 am by sdg_77 »

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #106 on: July 25, 2013, 02:42:12 pm »
My!

What a wonderful cycling holiday and ride report, Steve; I'm so glad you were able to do this and I appreciate your telling us about it.

Though not on Thorns, what a wonderful way to see the island and just the thing to pique others' interests in the place. It is surely on my list now.

Loved your photos...especially the one of the Corbiere lighthouse. The beach looks inviting, but the food would be enough to see me there!

What wonderful weather, as well. Brilliant report, Steve.

Best,

Dan.

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #107 on: August 18, 2013, 07:37:11 pm »

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #108 on: August 18, 2013, 07:48:09 pm »
pushed my limits a bit yesterday...
Over 80 miles; I'll say! Well done, Jim, and especially so with the uppy-downy alonog the way.

Lovely photos, too; my favorite is the one showing the Fearless Nomad at your lunch break. Looks bucolic, restful, and likely very welcome after the climbs.

Thanks for sharing, Jim!

All the best,

Dan. (...who thinks Jim lives and ride in some really scenic countryside)

jags

« Reply #109 on: August 18, 2013, 08:25:36 pm »
enjoyed those photos jim looks like a great place to ride a bike ;)

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #110 on: August 18, 2013, 09:09:56 pm »
That funny photo that just shows a tall wooden fence and gate... Here is a story from 2004:

Estate's buildings on block
By Deborah Medenbach
Times Herald-Record
dmedenbach@th-record.com
Napanoch – It's one of the top 10 most expensive parcels on the Sotheby's International Realty associates site.
The listing features a classic mansion with rolling lawns trailing down to a stocked lake. The exclusive 632-acre estate known as Lyons Lodge is priced at $5.9 million and is surrounded by a wilderness preserve. A second listing further down the price scale shows the $1.5 million Moore House estate, comprising another 62 acres with stone manse, numerous barns, kennels and outbuildings.
Neither listing uses the buzzword that would draw the attention of the locals.
After four years in private ownership, the Lundy Estate buildings are back on the block.
The 5,405-acre parcel was purchased in 2000 by the Open Space Institute to protect more than six miles of the Vernooy Kill and preserve the accompanying wilderness from development. The majority of the land was later sold to the state for $5 million to be folded into Catskill Park.
The buildings and surrounding acreage were sold to Douglas Eger and his wife, Cristina Khuly, who had great dreams for the property when they first moved in.
The couple spent the first two years assessing renovation needs at the Moore House buildings and working diligently on restorations at Lyons Lodge.
After two more years, Lyons Lodge is complete and Moore House and its accompanying buildings have been stabilized.
The couple are now ready to move on to other preservation projects.
"We're in a time period where there will be more development pressure in the area. If there's more special property up here that we can work with, we'd love to do it again and again," Douglas Eger said.
"No matter what, you're not going to see 600 split-level ranches up on the mountain. OSI puts conservation restrictions on any property we sell," said Tally Blumberg of the Open Space Institute.
OSI counsel Bob Anderberg explained. "There are serious conservation easements on both properties. Basically, people coming along 100 years from now will see it pretty much as it is now," Anderberg said. "It's a real success story. The DEC pays full taxes on the land transferred to it, and the private owners pay taxes on their land and buildings, too. The land is protected. Everyone wins."

History of the Lundy Estate

1911 – Dr. William Woodend buys 1,500 acres along the Vernooy Kill from the Terwilliger brothers and begins construction of a stone manse, airstrip, kennels, stables and other outbuildings that comprise the core of the estate.
1917 – Woodend sells the property to Edith Crawford Moore, who renames it Tunessa Lodge and lives there until 1929.
1929 – Brooklyn restaurateur F.W. Lundy purchases Moore's property and begins acquiring other contiguous parcels, eventually increasing his holdings to 5,405 acres.
1964 – Lundy purchases Lyons Lodge, an elegant estate with lake frontage that borderes his property.
1977 – Lundy dies in September. The estate is threatened with conflicting claims until his sole heir is located, 50s pop singer Teresa Brewer. The land goes to one of Lundy's employees and eventually is lost in a bankruptcy sale.
1980s – Parc Europe is proposed by French investors for the Lundy Estate. The theme park would recreate 17th and 18th century European villages. The project faces opposition and is eventually dropped.
2000 – The 5,405-acre estate is purchased by the Open Space Institute. OSI is interested in preservation of the land, but not management of the substantial buildings and barns. The buildings and acreage surrounding the Lyons Lodge and Moore House complexes are sold with conservation easements to Douglas Eger and Cristina Khuly for an undisclosed sum. The remainder is transferred to the state for $5 million, to be added to Catskill Park.
Dec. 16, 2004 – Both the Lyons Lodge, with the original 400 acres and 232 additional protected acres, and Moore House estates, with its 62 acres, appear on a Sotheby's International Realty associates Web site. (TH-Record 12/17/04)

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #111 on: September 01, 2013, 10:47:47 am »
Since moving from Dumfries to Inverurie, Aberdeenshire, I have been able to do some long rides on my Raven.
With a Brooks saddle I can sit there for hours.
I know they are built for touring and carrying panniers but the Raven suits me for an all day, chew up the miles kinda bike.
Not sure if link below will work.

Matt

I found cool biking route with the free Bikemap app. Check it out here: http://www.bikemap.net/en/route/2280914-inverurie-to-peterhead-and-back/
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #112 on: September 01, 2013, 10:55:31 am »
Yippee.
The link appears to work.
Here's a trip from last weekend.
Down on a Friday to see my pal George in Perth, Scotland.
Chill out on the Saturday watching Tiger Woods playing golf in New Jersey, then same route home on Sunday.

Raven performed well and met a couple on a Thorn tandem.
No pictures since camera lost 3 months ago. Looking forward to my birthday in November when family should buy me a new one.

Matt

I found cool biking route with the free Bikemap app. Check it out here: http://www.bikemap.net/en/route/2264508-inver2aperth/

jags

« Reply #113 on: September 01, 2013, 11:14:56 am »
ah matt you need a camera ;D
what sat nav are you using on the bike.

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #114 on: September 01, 2013, 12:27:16 pm »
Did the link work for you?
Used a Garmin Forerunner 205. But the link I posted was to Bikemap. I am not sure how to link the Garmin route to here. So, when I arrive home I load the route to Bikemap.
I also used a Cateye Adventure to help me with distances, times and altitude. There is a big get off and push hill of 454m half way.
On the return trip from Perth the Cateye stopped working. No warning, nowt.
Manual says a warning light should show or the digits blink
Turned out it was the battery in the main body.
Wasn't carrying spares to no data on the Cateye for return trip; but it was the same route.
At home, reloaded fresh batteries and now x2 are stuck on the inside lid of my bar bag.

Yes, camera is well missed.
Pleased someone recently asked a question here re make. I will be watching that carefully.

Matt
ah matt you need a camera ;D
what sat nav are you using on the bike.

jags

« Reply #115 on: September 01, 2013, 01:54:22 pm »
on the smart phone i have you can take a photo and show exactly the spot where it was takin by gps.
mind you i have no idea how to do this  ;D ;D just thought i'de tell you that bit of useless information.

(love gadgets)

jags.

John Saxby

« Reply #116 on: September 03, 2013, 02:38:13 am »
Not nearly enough cycling this summer. Instead, I devoted a large block of time (five weeks of good weather) in July and August to a transcontinental ride on Hans, my airhead, to Northern California (visiting my sister and her family), going north from there to Vancouver, and then back east across mountain and prairie to Ottawa. In Oregon, I stopped in at Eugene to scrutinize and wonder at Danneaux' Nomad, which is every bit as impressive in person, as it were, as in the photos. (And Danneaux is as courteous and helpful as you'd imagine him to be.)

So, in mid-late August, back home in Ottawa and back in the (Brooks) saddle again, I took my Eclipse for a canter up into the Gatineau Hills across the river in West Québec--and my legs felt like it was May all over again.

Still, with the rain we've had this summer, late August in the hills has been beautiful.  Here are a few photos taken in the last week or two, part of my regular 60 km up-and-back ride to the top of the Lusk Escarpment on the western edge of the Gatineau, east of the Ottawa River:

A downstream view of the Ottawa River, east towards the city, early afternoon:  https://www.dropbox.com/s/0werfrt01li5kzu/1%20-%20E%20twd%20Ottawa%20from%20pont%20Champlain.JPG

Up on the escarpment east of the river in mid-afternoon, looking NW up the Valley:  https://www.dropbox.com/s/wn0r7ecv0eduivd/2%20-%20Ottawa%20Valley%2C%20NW%20from%20Champlain%20lookout%2C%20Gatineau%20Hills.JPG

And looking back towards the city, SE from the escarpment:  https://www.dropbox.com/s/c3t31ul72pndvtt/3%20-%20Ottawa%20River%2C%20SE%20back%20twds%20city%20from%20Gatineau%20Hills.JPG

And for you, Jags:  If you kept going N & W up the Valley, and rode a long way, a very long way indeed, to the small town of Wawa, north of Lake Superior, you'd come to the symbol of that "town in North Ontario" so dear to Neil Young and celebrated in "Helpless", with its "big birds flying across the sky":  https://www.dropbox.com/s/t879ft1y4j1idhf/%22Big%20birds%20flying%20across%20the%20sky...%22.JPG  (Every cyclist making the ride N of Superior has this photo, or another one of the many geese in Wawa.)

In mid-September I'll do a weeklong tour in the Madawaska Highlands NW of Ottawa, about 5 days' riding in the direction of the second photo above.  There are some demanding hills, in the 14% range, but the scenery is worth it, classic Canadian Shield landscape of lake and river, forest and granite, with some farmland closer to the Ottawa River.  Most nights I'll camp, but I'll also visit friends who live two days' ride from my house.  They live on the family farmstead built in the 19th century by their grandparents, who came from East Prussia.  The original log house built in 1869 (followed by the "new" addition in 1890!) has been refurbished and is in regular use, with hot and cold running water put in about ten years ago.  A bit of heaven -- though earning a living from farming there would be anything but. The farm occupies 1300 acres, of which the arable bits add up to 100 acres.  My friends' parents and grandparents only ever used horses for cultivation -- the fields weren't big enough for a tractor.

The Madawaska route, which I first cycled a year ago, will be a good test for the Thorn Raven in My Future -- have just competed the purchase of a Raven frame and forks, and Rohloff and SON28 hubs, with the remaining components to follow later this autumn.  I plan to complete the bike over the winter, with my excellent LBS doing the build.  Then in May, after the snow and before the bugs, we'll do a test run across the hills.  A break from the tough hills can be found in the occasional roadside cafés: https://www.dropbox.com/s/0otz1wfpsr1pm53/Quadeville%20cafe%2C%20selling%20the%20essentials.JPG

No cellphone coverage in those parts, BTW, so no worries about choices, strategy and gear for recharging.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 02:41:40 am by John Saxby »

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #117 on: September 03, 2013, 03:04:37 am »
Thanks for the kind words, John; it was a real pleasure having you come by, and I only wish there had been time for a longer chat and visit.

John, those are simply wonderful photos of fantastically beautiful country. They really helped me better visualize the area where you ride, and the very steep hills rising suddenly from the flatter land around.

All congratulations your way on joining the Thorn Fold as an owner -- how exciting! Now you've placed your order, I'm afraid you'll be learning the elastic nature of time as the minutes turn to hours during the wait for Arrival. You've made a terrific choice in the (new) Raven, and I can't wait to see it built to your planned configuration and color scheme.

So very glad you've had the chance to some before Fall's arrival, with more plans in the works. What a wonderful trip you have planned to your friends' homestead, and some real hills to test yourself on for later comparison using the Nomad's Rohloff gearing -- all to the good! I am, however, a little worried about the advertised menu in that little roadside café -- worms I could take, but iced worms? Ehh, I might have to pass on those!  :D

Thanks again for so nicely sharing the scenery in your neck of the woods -- gorgeous!

All the best,

Dan. (...who's yet to see such a large Canada goose fly overhead here in Eugene!)

jags

« Reply #118 on: September 03, 2013, 10:36:57 am »
super photos John thanks for the big bird i never new that great song mind you. 8)

John Saxby

« Reply #119 on: September 03, 2013, 02:39:12 pm »
Thanks, Jags and Dan, for your kind words.  Here's k d lang singing "Helpless", standing in for Neil Young at the 2005 Juno awards (he was ill at the time):  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5KRVtjgMkM

Great version of a great song, wonderful imagery.

Dan, those ingredients in the café window fit together this way:  you put the worms on ice for a while, then grill 'em real quick on the barbie -- keeps them nice & pink on the inside that way, so I'm told.

On another image:  a lot of German and Polish families settled in the Madawaska Highlands in the late 19th century.  There were some small mines, and logging in the winters, but people depended mainly on farming for their livelihood.  They must have been tough people, because the conditions were sooo difficult: a recent local history of the German settlements just north of my friends' place has the title, Harvest of Stone.  You climb the highest hill in Southern Ontario (only 2200 feet above sea level, but with the dips in the climb included, it's more like 3000 feet), and on top, there are stone walls everywhere -- not "walls" so much as long piles of granite boulders marking the fields. https://www.dropbox.com/s/vij8h41ri53gm1n/Harvest%20of%20Stone%20-%20granite%20walls%20around%20fields%20atop%20Foymount%20Hill.JPG

Each spring, there's a new "crop" of these critters in the field, turned up by the movement of the soil & subsoil. They would be taken off and piled along the walls, or just heaped in mounds in the fields.  The device for doing this was called a "stone boat" -- a piece of heavy steel or cast iron, about 3' x 6', dished to hold a bunch of the stones. Horses (& later tractors) dragged the stone boat, people loaded & unloaded the stones.  (Earlier in the spring, stone boats were used as vessels in which to simmer and reduce maple sap -- they were held off the ground by big stones, and a 24-hr fire built underneath them.)

Climbing to the top of Foymount Hill, you're forced to reflect:  for me, this is demanding and sweaty work, but it's really just recreation, a way of seeing and feeling the countryside.  Real toil is clearing those wretched stones every spring, and building the walls bigger and longer every year. And for a farm family, there's no choice about it: if you are going to plough the field, you have to clear the stones.  My ride to the top takes maybe 45 minutes, and I do it maybe once a year.  Cannot imagine--well, I can, actually--the effort and heartache that made those walls, year after year after year. The remarkable thing is that there's still a functioning farm near the summit, very well kept.  Will try to get some fotos of that in a couple of weeks' time.