Technical > Wheels, Tyres and Brakes

tubeless tyres with light weight tube with schrader valves

<< < (2/3) > >>

lewis noble:
Yes, that ParK Tool tool will deal with both Presta (where cores removable - they can work loose or get unscrewed by some pump fittings) or Schrader.  In UK, the valve caps with a Schrader core gozmo are still available, in car accessory shops.

Lewis

strictnaturist:
Thanks Lewis and John
I'll look out for one of these tools and purchase the same tubes that Thorn fitted to make sure the valve core is removable.
cheers everyone

PH:
OK, at the risk of being stupid, will someone put me out of my ignorance and explain what's going on here!
I understood the advantage of tubeless was two fold:
1) Less rotational weight due to the lack of a tube
2) Could be run at lower pressures as the risk of a pinch flat is eliminated
Surely running a tube with gunk in it is going to make it heavier than a standard setup, even with a lightweight tube.  And however light or gunk filled the tube, it'll still need to be run at the same pressure or get snake bites which the gunk is unlikely to be able to seal. So what am I missing?

I run lightweight tubes, I'm probably kidding myself that they make any difference, but apart from needing topping up more frequently they've proved no less durable than standard ones.  I haven't had a pinch flat in years, probably decades.  I can't see me changing any of my bikes or wheels anytime soon, though I am curious to give wide 650 tubeless a go. 

strictnaturist - Bike sounds great, lets see some photos  ;)

Danneaux:

--- Quote ---OK, at the risk of being stupid, will someone put me out of my ignorance and explain what's going on here!
--- End quote ---
On the rims I converted from tubed to tubeless for friends, they have been able to run tubeless with no problem after with a couple of exceptions.

I made sure they also carried a spare tube or two (and a tire boot) in case of:
a) a puncture too large for the sealant to heal (or in case the sealant had dried and was no longer liquid, a problem easily fixed with periodic refreshes)...
...or...
b) in case their inflated tire had gone down and they were unable to reseat it in the field with the pump they carried. I've had good luck seating tubeless tires with ordinary floor pumps but it can sometimes be a different story in the field with, say, a mini-pump.

Depending on the state of the sealant, a field swap to tubes can be messy or inconvenient.

While running with the tubes in place, the usual cautions about proper inflation apply as running inadequate pressure can result in a pinch-flat.

For either of these occasions, a spare tube can make for a quick and relatively easy bailout option as a temporary measure. You do of course have to remove the tubeless valve in order to make the switch.  ;)

Some people in areas with goathead thorns run ordinary tubes filled with sealant. Of course, this is not a tubeless system, but a self-sealing solution. These tubes would need to have removable valves to allow filling with sealant.

Best,

Dan.

JimK:
I've had pretty good luck running Marathon Plus tires here in goathead country, with plain regular tubes. Any lesser tire and you'll really want sealant in there, tubes or no.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version