Author Topic: Any suggestions? (re: returning a Found Lost)  (Read 2826 times)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Any suggestions? (re: returning a Found Lost)
« on: May 04, 2012, 04:29:08 am »
Hi All,

While taking my daily 5-mile walk Sunday I came across a group of nice uni students on the bike path, and exchanged pleasantries. I went to the end of the path, expecting to see them on my return but they had left the area, leaving their camera at the base of a light standard, forgotten and left behind.

Figuring it would stand a better chance for return in my hands, I took it with me and spent the next hour or so trolling the bike paths looking for them. When no sign of them appeared, I came home and posted an ad on Craigslist. Went back and posted a sign on the light standard. Posted ads in local publications.

No luck. No response. Nothing on or in the camera that would aid its return. There's pictures, but I don't know the people.

I'd really like to return it to them. The Craigslist ad will run for 45 days, but I'd like to do more.

Any suggestions for better ways to return the camera to the rightful owner?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 04:58:54 am by Danneaux »

JimK

• Interdependent Science
Re: Any suggestions? (re: returning a Found Lost)
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2012, 01:38:30 pm »
You could maybe post some of the pictures out of the camera, people pictures, especially if pictures of the people you saw.

Where to post? Facebook someplace is a good start. Or email to folks and ask them to post.

in4

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2012, 02:33:57 pm »
Here is a more intricate, fiendish possibility to explore. I think some cameras store location-type data with photos; is it EXIF data or something? Viewing the data of a photo might lead you to a location, more so if numerous photos have the same data attached.

On a more sensible level simply ask around at your nearest uni' show a few photos around. Someone might know someone.

My career as a super sleuth with CSI is thus concluded. :)

Andre Jute

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2012, 03:14:11 pm »
Send the serial number to the manufacturer and ask them to notify the owner that you have the camera. Not everyone registers a camera with the maker, but students, being universally computer-literate these days, may, because it is so easy.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2012, 07:37:05 pm »
Thanks very much for your suggestions; they're all good, and I will be following up with each of them.

A few updates since I posted last night...

1) With regards to the Craigslist posting, it seems everyone has either lost a camera in that area or is hoping to "win" their dream camera if they guess the right make and model. So far, no one has it remotely right, and in the ad I asked the owner to identify not only the type and brand of camera, but the kind of pictures taken with it. I recognize the people in the pictures as some of the ones who lost it, but nothing beyond that. Makes identifying the rightful owner(s) easy!

2) You've collectively jogged me into thinking of an untapped possibility -- the uni newspaper. I can place an ad there, and it might hit the target audience right away; thanks!

3) Unfortunately, the camera is not in production, so the manufacturer cannot help me there (tried).

4) I went through the EXIF data straightaway and found lots about exposure information and such, but sadly, nothing to help me return it.

5) I'll post an ad on the bulletin board of the uni bookstore, referring to the Craigslist ad. That will help, I'm sure. Current enrollment is ~20,000, so the bulletin board should help me find the party more quickly (the group looked a bit old for high school, but about right for first- or second-year at uni, judging by my past students; these were a nice group of young adults, polite and friendly).

I'll post an update as things develop. Thanks again for your suggestions, and I welcome any more that occur to you.

Best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 09:17:43 pm by Danneaux »

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2012, 07:51:51 pm »
Oh! Progress, perhaps...

The camera firmware contains software that is installed on the user's computer when attached by USB. Included is software for social media and file-sharing. I'll go to a double-sandboxed partition on one of my virtual machines and give it a go so I won't have to worry about picking up malware or storing my own data on the camera. If the firmware also stores user account information, it might be possible to leave a message on the owner's account saying I have found the camera, or with the admin of the service, explaining the circumstances.

(Ian's CSI approach is rubbing off on me...)

Best,

Dan.

jags

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2012, 08:14:17 pm »
 Dan have thought about if you do find the owner and they take it back without ever a word of thanks for all your trouble and honesty (been there) you put yourself through all this .
emm i reckon you were meant to find this camera as a kind of reward for reviving the thorn forum and sorting out a lot of peoples problems,
yes dan this camera was sent your way by the force  ;)
so hang onto it and dont feel one bit guilty about it,
thats my two cents worth ok, put me up against the wall and shoot me. ;D

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2012, 09:14:24 pm »
...this camera was sent your way by the force...
Well...

I sure like that thought, jags! Maybe it will turn out that way in the end.

Honestly, I have wished more than once I hadn't seen it sitting at the base of the light standard. It would have been so easy to just walk onward, but I know it would have gone home forever with the next person who walked by (the bike path was very busy that day). Now, I've got an unwanted task added to my list, but...

...really, I need to persist in trying to get this back for me, even if the rightful party takes it for granted. Yeah, I've had those same experiences too (I've found a lot of stuff over the years -- checkbooks, social security cards, money, wallets, cameras, phones, bikes, tape recorders, etc, lots of animals and one parakeet!). Although the return sometimes went kinda sour, I felt good inside for trying. I'll give it awhile longer and perhaps I can get it back to them. After I've exhausted all avenues, I'll either keep it or give it to someone who doesn't have a camera, but I'd still like to get it back to them. Maybe it is wishful thinking someone might do the same for me (unlikely, but they might).

I really kind of wish I wouldn't find things, but I do 'cos I'm pretty observant and once I've seen something, I feel responsible for making a good effort to return it.

Thanks for the kind words and nice thoughts, though; I really appreciate it!

All the best,

Dan.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2012, 02:53:54 am »
Hi All!

After trying for four months to find the owners of the found camera, I've decided to call off the search and keep it.

Despite my best efforts, I could not locate the original parties I saw using it before they left it behind, so I may as well put the camera to good use. It is one of those little HD (720i) digital vidcams with flash storage and a fixed lens, and records remarkably good sound as well. It holds roughly an hour's worth of video on its internal storage and can be USB-recharged on the bicycle.

Now I feel free to keep and use it, you may well be seeing some more YouTube videos on a variety of topics.

yes dan this camera was sent your way by the force so hang onto it and dont feel one bit guilty about it

Thanks, jags! When I get the chance, I'll use it to film the installation of the Tout Terrain The Plug 2 and PAT cord for you. Fingers crossed it will all come out okay.

Best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 06:27:57 pm by Danneaux »

jags

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2012, 10:26:12 am »
excellent stuff Dan look forward to that. ;)