Technical > Wheels, Tyres and Brakes

Actual size of 559-50/26" x 2.0" Dureme and Supreme Tyres

<< < (2/3) > >>

mickeg:
I have used 50mm or 2.0 width Dureme on the front of my Sherpa and 2.0 or 50mm width Extremes on the rear.  That was what I used on trips that were mostly gravel.  The attached photo has these 50mm tires.

I have 40mm tires on my Sherpa right now, so can't get you any measurements, I use 40mm Marathons (with greenguard) on trips that are mostly pavement.

I have fenders, I do not recall the model but they were made by Planet Bike and are 60mm wide.  The 50mm tires fit fine inside those fenders as shown in the photo.

Second photo also has the 50mm tires on the Sherpa.  Disregard the blue tape, I wanted to protect teh paint from the receiver hitch rack on a long drive.

There are several different versions of Sherpas, not sure which mine is, I bought the frame used in 2010, so it is at least that old.  I do not know if tire clearance changed over the different versions, my frame size is 610S and it has a pump peg on the rear seatstay.

mickeg:
One more thing, with the 50mm Dureme, I have a tire circumference of 2057mm which is what I use for my bike computer, I am sure that the number has a plus or minus of several mm.  If you need a radius of the wheel, I will let you calculate that.

kwkirby01:
Thanks to both of you for responding. Having looked again at my mudguards in light of "real life" measurements, I suspect I will need bigger mudguards to fit the larger tyres.
Kevin

mickeg:
I usually try to have fenders (mud guards) at least 10mm wider than my tires, but sometimes with fenders that have pretty wide brackets I can get away with 8 mm wider.

djb:

--- Quote from: kwkirby01 on March 26, 2020, 03:40:08 pm ---I'm looking to fit larger tyres to Sherpa to get a little more comfort. The frame will take them and my mudguards (50mm Gilles Berthoud) still have a lot of clearance.
I've measured my existing "40mm" Supremes and discovered they are closer to 34mm...
So, how big are 2.0"/50mm Duremes and Supremes when fitted - does anyone know?
Thanks, Kevin

--- End quote ---

Greetings. Saw this topic and wanted to add my experience with 2inch Supremes. Rim width  plays a part in how a tire width plays out. On my "tough trip" bike, a surly troll, the Supremes which should be 50mm measure out to 45mm on my rims.
I've measured my rims in the past, inner and outer, but don't recall the numbers off hand.
But I'm fairly sure that a wider rim than what I have would result in a slightly wider real life tire measurement.

If interested, get back and I'll measure them.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version