Technical > Wheels, Tyres and Brakes

Schwalbe Dureme Cracked

<< < (2/4) > >>

steve216c:
I presume you mean cracked tyres not crackle?

UV (sunlight) can cause rubber to deteriorate. I have seen older tyres with otherwise good tread fail. I think this is more a worry than how many km you have ridden. UB damage happens over time, and depends on how tyres are stored. Leave a bike exposed to the elements and it can be rapid. But store your bike (or tyres) out of the sun and it will be a slower process.

Tyre tread itself is not as important on a bike than a car for grip if road riding. But if you can see threads exposed or even see the smart guard through cracks when pumped up to max, you ought to change ASAP. I’d be worried about tyre blowout.

Im sure I have had 20,000 out of Schwalbe Marathon tyres before that were not uv damaged.

But for peace of mind, if your tyres are 10 years old, replace for new and ride another 10 on replacement tyres.

martinf:

--- Quote from: steve216c on October 11, 2021, 06:56:34 am ---Tyre tread itself is not as important on a bike than a car for grip if road riding. But if you can see threads exposed or even see the smart guard through cracks when pumped up to max, you ought to change ASAP. I’d be worried about tyre blowout.

--- End quote ---

I've had tyres fail by blowing out at the tread once or twice, in the 1970's. And had one dangerous blowout with a nearly new but cheap tyre that melted around the wire bead after excessive braking.  Never (yet) had those problems with good quality modern tyres.

With modern tyres I have had several failures at the sidewall, generally with 16" tyres on my Bromptons after abusing them on survey work. So far these failures have been gradual, with a bulge forming that gives some warning before the tyre goes bang.

In my experience (again mainly with 16" tyres on survey work), kevlar beaded tyres are much less likely to fail at the bead than wire beaded tyres. Failure higher up on the sidewall has generally been caused by abrasion or impacts on rocks/pothole edges. In the three 26" x 2" models I know about I would rate Marathon Mondial best for this, Dureme second and Supreme last.

For rolling resistance I rate these 3 tyres the other way round, with Supreme first and Marathon Mondial last, with not very much difference between Supreme and Dureme. This is relative, IMO Marathon Mondial still rolls significantly better than a (modern) 26" x 2" Marathon Plus, which I also have some experience of.

Based on the photos of Julio's tyre, I would fit new ones if planning a tour of several thousand kilometres. Supremes if mainly on tarmac, Marathon Mondial (because Duremes seem to be unavailable) if doing a significant amount of riding on rocky tracks. But I'd be quite happy using Julio's old tyres for utility riding or shorter tours.

I generally discard tyres when:
- the tread is worn bare,
- I start getting lots of punctures due to the tread having too many small cracks and holes or just being worn too thin
- the tread has a large cut or (more frequent) the sidewall is damaged (cut or ruptured or abraded).

When I wear out a rear tyre I generally fit the new tyre on the front and put the partly worn front tyre on the back wheel to finish it, as I reckon a rear blowout would be less risky than on the front. After 12000 kms I haven't yet reached that stage with my oldest Supremes. 

jul:
I've seen this one on a Gravel bike and it have a modern design than the Dureme.. I like it. 26x2 for 720gr, it have as well the green guard from Schwalbe.

https://www.bike24.com/p225240.html

martinf:

--- Quote from: julio on October 28, 2021, 02:02:14 pm ---I've seen this one on a Gravel bike and it have a modern design than the Dureme.. I like it. 26x2 for 720gr, it have as well the green guard from Schwalbe.

https://www.bike24.com/p225240.html

--- End quote ---

Yes, that is the wire bead version of the Marathon Mondial.

There is also the Kevlar bead version, which (unusually) is 20g heavier at 740g. But according to Schwalbe, it has better puncture and sidewall protection and is more durable, they recommend the Kevlar bead version for expeditions. Schwalbe say the rolling resistance is the same for both versions (IMO not quite as free-rolling as Duremes). The Kevlar bead version is more expensive:

https://www.bike24.com/p2361361.html

I reckon one of these two Marathon Mondial options would currently be the best alternative to Dureme if you reckon Supreme are too fragile. The weight quoted in the 2020 catalogue for a Supreme in 26" x 2.0" is 560g. IIRC Duremes in that size were 590g.

Extracts from the 2020 catalogue showing the Schwalbe ratings, for Marathon Mondial the first line is for the Kevlar bead version and the second line is for wire bead.

jul:
Maybe my link (bike24) is wrong, I send a pics of the tire I've seen on the gravel bike.

It looks less off-road and more tarmac road.
Can you confirm me the model please

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version