Author Topic: Rides 2013 — add yours  (Read 34588 times)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: Rides 2013 — add yours
« Reply #150 on: October 20, 2013, 06:24:41 pm »
Lovely shot and bicycle, Steve; thanks so much for letting us share a bit in your impulsive ride.

Like Jim, I think this reminds us of the value in unplanned, go-for-it rides. Always better to just throw a leg over the saddle and seize the moment.

Best,

Dan. (...who sees the value in Carpe Bikem)

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #151 on: October 21, 2013, 08:20:58 pm »
Nice bike and nice shot. I have always shot my Raven side on but like the angle you have used.
Just back from 42 miles around the Aberdeenshire coast.
Great weather, great ride and found a superb location on a small harbour.
Waves crashing over the break water and the light was good.
Also found my camera battery flat!!
Just ordered a spare back up from eBay.
Matt
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

FrogPrince

• 60-something and loving it.
    • Cycle Somerset
« Reply #152 on: October 21, 2013, 11:08:34 pm »
Last weekend ...'Cycle Somerset' Ride on the Dorset coast

http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/32849079_5rHh2L

Sell your Clothes but keep your thoughts.

jags

« Reply #153 on: October 21, 2013, 11:50:32 pm »
looks like you folks had a great day out .great photos and thats a nifty  bike trailer.

John Saxby

« Reply #154 on: October 22, 2013, 12:18:22 am »
'Cycle Somerset' Ride on the Dorset coast

Lovely stuff--seeing those signposts makes me all daft & sentimental (except about the rain), as I was born in Swanage, & came to consciousness as it were in Corfe.  Still have family in the West Country.  I owe myself a ride in those parts, on my Raven-in-the-making. (So long as it's not raining...)

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #155 on: October 22, 2013, 02:42:01 am »

JWestland

« Reply #156 on: October 22, 2013, 11:42:55 am »
Love that rear mudflap! :)

Pedal to the metal! Wind, rain, hills, braking power permitting ;)

jags

« Reply #157 on: October 22, 2013, 12:52:28 pm »
so do i I'll have some next week courtesy of our man Dan.

jim class photo your certainly getting in the miles fair play to you did you do any more camping.m starting to build up a kit again i should never have sold my camping gear i'm a total geek.

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #158 on: October 22, 2013, 03:48:45 pm »
I expect it'll be next year before I get any more camping done. My hope/plan... well, it's a funny thing, but the ACA Atlantic Coast Route passes near where I live and then passes near where my parents live! About 240 miles house to house. I figure, maybe 4 days riding. Next year, that seems like a good next step!

FrogPrince

• 60-something and loving it.
    • Cycle Somerset
« Reply #159 on: October 22, 2013, 04:20:09 pm »
Lovely stuff--seeing those signposts makes me all daft & sentimental (except about the rain), as I was born in Swanage, & came to consciousness as it were in Corfe.  Still have family in the West Country.  I owe myself a ride in those parts, on my Raven-in-the-making. (So long as it's not raining...)

What do you mean "So long as it's not raining"  It didn't rain at all ...that was just low cloud :-) ........ all part of the fun ....you never know what you are going to get.
Sell your Clothes but keep your thoughts.

jags

« Reply #160 on: October 22, 2013, 04:32:01 pm »
sounds great Jim hope it works out for you.anymore photos of that ride you done.

jags.

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #161 on: October 22, 2013, 04:52:45 pm »
anymore photos

hit that slideshow link... there're 25 or so pics there... can't imagine anyone would want more after those!

John Saxby

« Reply #162 on: October 22, 2013, 05:25:56 pm »
Great ride, Jim, and a nice set of fotos.  Been so long since I've visited those parts--maybe I shd do a trip in the Catskills next late spring/early summer, part of my shakedown rides with the Raven.  Liked the shoulders on the larger secondary roads -- not enough of those in Ontario.

J.

John Saxby

« Reply #163 on: October 22, 2013, 05:36:36 pm »
that was just low cloud :-) ........ all part of the fun

Dunno, Froggie, we Canajans are closet softies (this one, anyway), captives of our own mythology about The Land And The Weather.  Hiking in Scotland in 2008, one of the best lines I heard was, "If you can't see the mountains, it's raining; if you can see the mountains, it's going to rain." 

I think we're spoiled here by fairly dry weather in cycling season, March to December.  We tend to get spring and autumn rains, but we have a continental climate, as one would expect, a bit different from even the south coast on a wee island in the North Sea... Still worth a visit on 2 wheels, for sure, and I promised the folks at SJS Cycles that I'd bring my new Raven round for a viewing.  My sister has a place in Seaton, and we have old friends in Lyme, so I have a jumping-off spot for LeJoG.  -  J.

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #164 on: October 22, 2013, 06:01:44 pm »
 Liked the shoulders on the larger secondary roads

Yeah that was my first time riding on NY Rte 23 and it was quite comfortable the whole way. Quite similar to Rte 28, which it parallels. They're both reasonably busy and high speed, but the shoulder is wide enough that it works OK. Not the kind of road I would prefer, but with the mountains here there are precious few alternatives if you want to get anywhere.

http://ridingthecatskills.com/ has lots of awesome Catskills rides, but his shortest distances exceed my longest! A good resource all the same!