Author Topic: another Black Sherpa (MK3)  (Read 6973 times)

ians

another Black Sherpa (MK3)
« on: May 24, 2014, 02:21:30 pm »
here's my new Sherpa MK3.  New frame; parts donated from other, now redundant, bikes.  This will now be my one and only bike.  So it needs to be a good one.  And what a handsome bike the Sherpa is.  I am very impressed with it.

My eventual plan is to fit a crank-drive electric motor (health reasons).  I sold my Raven Tour earlier this year because it's not possible to retro fit a crank drive motor to an eccentric BB.  (The Tour btw is about to head off overland and sea to New Zealand.  Thomas Thompson, who bought the bike is setting off on his round the world trip in a couple of weeks.  Bon voyage Thomas).

I'm in two minds about the Alfine hub.  I've been spoiled by Rohloff.  The cable release mech on the Alfine is crude and fiddly compared with the Rohloff.  I wouldn't like to have to remove the rear wheel late at night on a dark road.  And as others have commented, the chain tensioner looks a bit naff.

I need to ride it for a bit and get the spec finalised before fitting the motor.  A couple of pics below.

ian

Admin. Note: Please keep responses to this post on topic to Ian's new pride and joy. Discussions of the merits of electrical assist are far more appropriate in a topic I created for that purpose on the Transmission board or in one of the many other topics devoted to pedelecs which can be easily found through the Forum's search function. Best, Dan Thorn Cycling Forum administrator

« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 04:32:49 pm by Danneaux »

jags

Re: another Black Sherpa (MK3)
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2014, 03:34:00 pm »
Wow Ian boy that is one cracking looking bike enjoy. ;)

jags.

bikerta

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2014, 06:04:11 pm »
Bike looks great. Surprising how sporty it looks without mudguards. It will be interesting to see what you think of the Alfine gears as you are in a good position for a direct comparison with the Rohloff. Nice to know your Raven went to  a good home and it will be used as it should be.

I'm starting to like the idea of putting on an electric motor, especially for my trip down through Scotland and also for Devon and Cornwall (or is that classed as cheating   ;) )

Jackie

phopwood

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2014, 07:14:13 am »
That's a lovely looking bike.  What seat post is that I need some layback on mine and looks about right.

Peter

ians

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2014, 09:12:39 am »
Wow Ian boy that is one cracking looking bike enjoy. ;)

jags.

thanks jags.  Just waiting for this rain to stop to take it out for a spin.
ian

ians

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2014, 09:21:22 am »
That's a lovely looking bike.  What seat post is that I need some layback on mine and looks about right.

Peter

Thanks Peter
The seat post is FSA SL220 alloy.  Virtually impossible get hold of now.  I don't know why it was discontinued.  Managed to get one on ebay.  Originally bought to give me extra layback with a Brooks saddle.  Good luck if you find one - it's a really good post.

ian

energyman

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2014, 05:53:36 pm »
Bike looks great. Surprising how sporty it looks without mudguards. It will be interesting to see what you think of the Alfine gears as you are in a good position for a direct comparison with the Rohloff. Nice to know your Raven went to  a good home and it will be used as it should be.

I'm starting to like the idea of putting on an electric motor, especially for my trip down through Scotland and also for Devon and Cornwall (or is that classed as cheating   ;) )

Jackie

I never thought I would ever think of an electric bike but after doing a short cycling holiday with a group of oldies (like me !), two of whom had Cube Pedal Assist bikes, I'm seriously thinking that when I'm unable to enjoy cycling due to age etc then that is the way to go.

Bit like the "cross-bar" versus "ladies" bikes debate.  When one is too old to get ones leg over then a "step-through" is the answer ?  ::)
« Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 06:01:40 pm by energyman »

bobs

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2014, 06:11:43 pm »
Having tried one within Rose Bikes Shop , I think anything which extends your cycling life is a good thing. Just witness the number of electric bikes in Germany.

Bob

sd

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2014, 06:16:17 pm »
Having tried one within Rose Bikes Shop , I think anything which extends your cycling life is a good thing. Just witness the number of electric bikes in Germany.
Bob
And Belgium, probably Holland to. Of course you could always drive a car and be a planet murderer  ;)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2014, 09:31:58 am »
Hi Ian!

My,  what a lovely new Sherpa you have! I do so hope it will meet all your needs when coupled with the new BB-mounted electric assist.

While the idea of electric assist might seem "impure" to the cyclist who believes it is all about human power,  if that same motor can allow a measure of healthful exercise, getting out in the fresh air,  and enjoying things not otherwise possible then it may well be an ideal solution for those who need it. Compared to a scooter, the electrically assisted bicycle does allow pedaling. I was once ill to a point where I might have found it useful and -- who knows?  -- might again. The future is not certain for any of us and if a motor assist would allow me to maintain even a fraction of the things I hold dear in the cycling experience, it would be well worth it. I think it can be the ideal solution when desired.

Going back for another look at you new bike,  Ian. What a lithe,  eager looking machine it is!

Best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 08:26:28 pm by Danneaux »

ians

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2014, 09:53:59 am »
Hi Dan

good to hear from you.  Hope your tour is going well.

Thanks for your timely intervention - I was concerned that this thread was starting to turn into something other than the one where we put pictures of our pride and joy. ( While Dan's away .....)  Perhaps my fault for mentioning electric motors in the first place.  When the bike is finished I'll post a picture with a health warning in the subject header.

I am surprised - perhaps I shouldn't be having hung around this forum for a long time now - to discover just what a great bike the Sherpa is.  (And Thorn in general).  When I decided to go down the electric-assist route I did consider a cheap hybrid plus motor or a 'proper' electric bike.  But for the money only a Thorn frame would enable me to build something that I was confident would 'fit' and still be a proper bike underneath. 

Enjoy the rest of your travels - look forward to hearing more in due course.

All the best

Ian

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2014, 10:45:33 am »
 :)

Best,

Dan. (...who is frankly drooling over IanS' new bike -- Wow!)

Blue lotus

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2014, 03:01:24 pm »
What a lovely bike Ian! Very neat and simple!

Funny that looking at it, people wish they had a black one, and later on another thread seeing a lovely red bike, other people wish they had a red one  ;D

Courage with your health issues, and keep cycling - with or without assistance! It is such a beautiful mean of transportation!

Andre Jute

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2014, 03:20:50 pm »
I think the word to describe Ian's new bike is "lithe". Despite its carrying capacity, that looks like a very athletic, lively bike.

ians

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2014, 09:14:19 pm »
What a lovely bike Ian! Very neat and simple!
 people wish they had a black one,

Thank you.  The black one has one disadvantage - it shows up finger marks and grease marks.  A small price to pay though - black does set off bling pretty well.

ian