Author Topic: Do you ever think why?  (Read 1306 times)

Andybg

Do you ever think why?
« on: January 30, 2014, 02:32:10 pm »
Do you ever have one of those rides on the bike when you think why am I doing this?

Twice a week I head out on the bike for a 24km ride to pick up 8 litres of milk and 5 loaves of bread for our menagerie of animals. It normaly takes just under an hour of actual cycling. Today it took just under 2.

Although the roads have now been well ploughed with about 2cm of hard packed snow and ice; the wind has blown a further 2cm of soft snow over the top. It was like cyling in porridge. Had to walk atleat 500 yards of it and had two mino offs.

I spent the first half of the ride thinking this is manly.
I spent the second half of the ride thnking I am never getting on a bicycle again. For heavens sake I have a plethera of 4 wheel drives that could have made the trip with ease but I took the bicycle.

3 hours later, having defrosted I am back to loving my cycling again.

Isnt it a funny addiction this cycling?

Andy

jags

Re: Do you ever think why?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2014, 04:31:10 pm »
yip from time to time i get really fed up especally if i find the going hard and the pain in my lower back kicks in, not nice.i used to love winter training but not anymore i'm a fair weather cyclist these days to be honest mainly because i solo so nothing to prove to the wanna be racers ::)
but when its good its really good nothing to beat it, i come home feling like i done something  usefull just that feel good feeling.you know what i mean.

CLASS.

anto.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2014, 05:29:10 pm »
"Been there" many a time, Andy.

My theory? The "bicycle wannarides" build up to the point where they have to be bled off periodically, a bit like the bobble atop a pressure cooker. Avoid riding too long, and...!  :o

Well done, you!  Those were tough, tough conditions.

Best,

Dan.

David Simpson

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2014, 05:59:11 pm »
We ride for the pure enjoyment of it.  I believe that our brains remember the good parts of the ride far longer than the bad parts.  That's why the "good old days" are good.  We have forgotten much of the bad stuff.

Andy, I've done rides like that, although not as bad as your recent ride.  Once the going gets tough, the warrior part of us kicks in, and we refuse to let the weather or other circumstances beat us.  It becomes a battle for our pride.

- Dave