Author Topic: Vik's Nomad S&S  (Read 47952 times)

jags

Re: Vik's Nomad S&S
« Reply #75 on: September 21, 2009, 01:26:08 pm »
excellent photos vik yet another great trip, lucky you im dosed with the bloody flu.

mylesau

« Reply #76 on: September 21, 2009, 01:28:21 pm »
Hi Vik, how do you find the Thorn rear rack?

I think you asked a similar question before you purchased - I'm in the process of ordering a Raven Nomad and am struggling to decide whether to go with the Thorn rack and save the hassle of working with the 6mm bolts or just drill out the Tubus Logo I have.  I do like the lower rail on the Logo...

Love those stainless fenders - they do 'finish' the bike off.

vik

« Reply #77 on: September 21, 2009, 04:15:44 pm »
Hi Vik, how do you find the Thorn rear rack?

I think you asked a similar question before you purchased - I'm in the process of ordering a Raven Nomad and am struggling to decide whether to go with the Thorn rack and save the hassle of working with the 6mm bolts or just drill out the Tubus Logo I have.  I do like the lower rail on the Logo...

Love those stainless fenders - they do 'finish' the bike off.

Well my thought is the 6mm braze-ons and the expedition rear rack are one of the better reasons to get a Nomad.  They are so much stronger than 5mm bolts or typical touring racks.  So for me it was a no brainer to get the Thorn rack.  I own a Tubus Cargo, several Old Man Mountain racks as well as a Surly Nice rack and the Thorn is by far the most robust.

The other way to look at it is if you aren't getting the heavy duty rack why get the heavy duty bike?  The Nomad S&S is a beast and if you don't want to take advantage of that carrying capacity why not get a lighter bike?

safe riding,

Vik
www.thelazyrando.com
Safe riding,

Vik
www.thelazyrando.com

mylesau

« Reply #78 on: September 22, 2009, 12:15:20 am »
Thanks Vik - you're right of course - when you see that Thorn rate their rack at 60kg using 6mm bolts it is above and beyond the Tubus.

I think I'd already made the decision, but you've reinforced it  :)

Mithrandir

« Reply #79 on: November 02, 2009, 03:13:36 pm »
Hi everyone.  I have really enjoyed reading all about Vik's fantastic new Raven Nomad machine as well as inspiring Canadian trip.

I have just received a Thorn Raven Tour from UK after being bought on ebay and hand delivered to Australia by a friend on OS trip.  A 12 month project (research to delivery) so far just getting this bike at a price I could afford - & justify with the misses ha ha.  Nicely speced for the money though.  I am stoked to join the Thorn club.  Have only had chance to do some laps around the suburb but can't wait to do proper ride/tour.

Anyway Vik (or anyone else with comments), I had a few questions:

I was about to buy some Schwalbe Marathon Extreme 26 x 2.0" as well as they sound like the ultimate touring tire now and can combine faster bitumen + excellent sand/gravel terrain both reasonably well (ie compared to the XRs which are being phased out now I hear and sound a bit sluggish and not as aggresive tread as these).  I am heading to New Zealand in March 2010 for mixed terrain tour and also plan to tour Australia Alpine areas and think these would be spot on.  It would be great to hear your views on them.

I was also going to get the Old Man Mountain front rack but your set up looks tricky and doesn't seem to use any of the amazing array of braze on mounting point options that Thorn bikes have.  I gather you think these are still the best option.

And finally was wondering what Ortlib model rear and front pannier you were using (ie in Canada trip), which do you recommend?

Cheers, this all makes me wanna get out there now.

Pete

vik

« Reply #80 on: November 09, 2009, 03:10:15 pm »

I was about to buy some Schwalbe Marathon Extreme 26 x 2.0" as well as they sound like the ultimate touring tire now and can combine faster bitumen + excellent sand/gravel terrain both reasonably well (ie compared to the XRs which are being phased out now I hear and sound a bit sluggish and not as aggresive tread as these).  I am heading to New Zealand in March 2010 for mixed terrain tour and also plan to tour Australia Alpine areas and think these would be spot on.  It would be great to hear your views on them.

I tried some 50mm Extremes on my Nomad.  They worked well.  Too much tire I think for paved roads.  Would be better for a dirt road tour.  I really like the XRs and didn't find the Extremes particularly faster on paved roads than XRs, but I didn't run any scientific experiments either.

If I was staying mostly on pavement I think I'd use some Marathon Supremes, but as more dirt/gravel found its way into the mix I'd switch to some Extremes.

I really had no complaints with the XRs and I'm sad to see them go.  Happily I've still got a few spares so I can keep rolling on them for a while longer.

I was also going to get the Old Man Mountain front rack but your set up looks tricky and doesn't seem to use any of the amazing array of braze on mounting point options that Thorn bikes have.  I gather you think these are still the best option.

I mounted my OMM Cold Springs Front rack via the front QR and the mid-fork rack mounts - takes seconds to install - nothing tricky about it.  I've used this same rack on several bikes on demanding tours with total satisfaction.  In particular I really like having a front rack platform to strap stuff to and have never noticed any issues with having my front panniers up higher than a low rider rack.  I do have a Surly Nice rack I could have used, but it's heavy and poorly designed IMO.  I think OMM has hit the ball out of the park with their racks so that's what I use on the front.

http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=omm&w=9932605%40N08

And finally was wondering what Ortlib model rear and front pannier you were using (ie in Canada trip), which do you recommend?

I've got got 4 pairs of Ortliebs - awesome bike bags!  I prefer the version with the lids vs. the roll top bags, but really that's just personal preference - they both work fine.  I also prefer the "classic" fabric to the "plus", but again just a preference - no real fault with either.

safe riding,

Vik
www.thelazyrando.com
« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 03:13:04 pm by vik »
Safe riding,

Vik
www.thelazyrando.com

sbseven

« Reply #81 on: November 10, 2009, 12:01:40 am »
Well my thought is the 6mm braze-ons and the expedition rear rack are one of the better reasons to get a Nomad.  They are so much stronger than 5mm bolts or typical touring racks.  So for me it was a no brainer to get the Thorn rack.

Actually, the bottom rear rack fixing points on my 09 Nomad are M5. I wonder why, when all the rest of the rack fixing points are M6?

(Nice blog by the way, Vik)

Shaun 
« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 12:04:19 am by sbseven »

Mithrandir

« Reply #82 on: November 10, 2009, 01:18:33 pm »
Thanks Vik for the equipment feedback comments.

Pete

vik

« Reply #83 on: November 10, 2009, 02:52:17 pm »
Actually, the bottom rear rack fixing points on my 09 Nomad are M5. I wonder why, when all the rest of the rack fixing points are M6?

(Nice blog by the way, Vik)

Shaun 

Thorn uses the same rear Rohloff dropouts for all its bikes.  They sell an adapter to go from the two M5 bolts on the dropouts to a single M6 bolt that the rack attaches to.  This lets you run a standard rear rack that accepts M5 mounting hardware or the Thorn Expedition rear rack that uses M6 hardware.

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/product-Thorn-Thorn-For-Rohloff-Cast-End-2-x-M5-to-1-x-M6-Stainless-Dropout-Adaptors-11703.htm

I had to order these adapters extra after I got my Nomad as it wasn't clear they were needed until I tried to fit my rear rack.  I think Thorn should bundle these into the cost of the frame like they do the EBB/S&S tool and touch up paint.

safe riding,

Vik
www.thelazyrando.com
Safe riding,

Vik
www.thelazyrando.com

sbseven

« Reply #84 on: November 10, 2009, 03:40:57 pm »
That's very interesting, Vik. Thanks.

In that case, I've a query with Thorn. With my new Nomad S+S (ordered complete), they fitted my Expedition rear rack via a single M5 bolt at the dropouts and padded it out FOUR M5 washers per side. Might give them a call...

UPDATE: I spoke to Dave at Thorn's. Apparently, they don't always fit the M6 dropout adapter with the Expedition rack unless you use disc brakes. He mentioned it may be debatable as to whether the rack structure is made stronger with the adapter fitted, because you apparently need to splay the Expedition rack's legs slightly. He's kindly agreed to send me the dropout adapter (FOC), so that I can try it out for myself. Good service!   

Shaun
« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 03:58:23 pm by sbseven »

john28july

« Reply #85 on: November 10, 2009, 05:06:32 pm »
Hello
Surely somebody can actually say that the screw size makes no difference if it is fitted via an adapter?
 If the adaptor is fitted using an M5 then what actual difference is there?
 If the actual screw hole is M6 then OK, but an adaption to fit M6 is more work, more money, more weight and is unsightly to boot.
My opinion and not a statement of fact by any means but I think it makes sense.
John.

julk

« Reply #86 on: November 10, 2009, 05:52:22 pm »
You can always drill and tap a 5mm hole each side to 6mm.
I did mine, it was a quick and easy job.
I got the tap drill and taps set from Model Fixings, very good pricing.

sbseven

« Reply #87 on: November 10, 2009, 07:28:47 pm »
Hello
Surely somebody can actually say that the screw size makes no difference if it is fitted via an adapter?
 If the actual screw hole is M6 then OK, but an adaption to fit M6 is more work, more money, more weight and is unsightly to boot.
John.

Adapter screw hole is M6.
The rack load would be spread over 2 x M5 bolts, I suppose.
I agree it's a bit of a kludge.

You can always drill and tap a 5mm hole each side to 6mm.
I did mine, it was a quick and easy job.
I got the tap drill and taps set from Model Fixings, very good pricing.

A good point. I assumed you considered the thinning of the fixing eyelet by 0.5mm was not an issue?

Shaun

vik

« Reply #88 on: November 10, 2009, 07:56:47 pm »
Hello
John.

It should be pretty obvious that 2 M5 bolts per side of the rack attached with a M6 bolt will be stronger than a single M5 bolt.

You can ditch the adapter and tap the dropout to an M6 bolt thread as has been mentioned if you like.  The dropout has lots of material in it to support the larger hole.

That's very interesting, Vik. Thanks.
....snip....

He mentioned it may be debatable as to whether the rack structure is made stronger with the adapter fitted, because you apparently need to splay the Expedition rack's legs slightly. He's kindly agreed to send me the dropout adapter (FOC), so that I can try it out for myself. Good service!   

Shaun

Splaying the legs out slightly like that will make the rack more triangulated and it will resist side to side loads better.  The rack is steel and that slight bit of bending will not compromise the strength in anyway.

safe riding,

Vik
www.thelazyrando.com
Safe riding,

Vik
www.thelazyrando.com

vik

« Reply #89 on: November 10, 2009, 08:08:32 pm »
Safe riding,

Vik
www.thelazyrando.com