Community > Member's Gallery

Raven (updated 07/10/2005)

<< < (2/3) > >>

ahconway:
Nice one Stijn!

As you may have read elsewhere on the Forum, I've just ordered my own Raven AT - but I'm still in a bit of a quandary about a couple bits, the rack being one. Why did you go for Tubus' Cargo instead of the Logo? Was SJSC able to source and fit the rack for you? I'm leaning toward Tubus because the Thorn racks are only available in black - and I've specced everything else on my new machine in silver (on one of the new blue powder coat frames).

Also, which bar ends are those? I've ordered the Thorn carbon ones, but I'm thinking they might be a little too small...

Thanks - Andrew

Stijn:
Andrew,

Accidentally I was able to admire a bike with the Tubus logo the other day. I was quite impressed. It looked very good, with the bags nice and low and slightly further back. I would contemplate going for the Logo, but there’s not much in it. I haven’t seen the Logo on the SJS website, so don’t think they stock it. I’m sure they’d fit it for you if you had it ordered for the bike. About going for the stainless steel ones, they are slightly less strong then the black steel ones.

The bar-ends are cheapo Halford ones, for £15, with a bit of foam around them.

Cheers,

Stijn

daveireland:
quote:Originally posted by Stijn

Andrew,

Accidentally I was able to admire a bike with the Tubus logo the other day. I was quite impressed. It looked very good, with the bags nice and low and slightly further back. I would contemplate going for the Logo, but there’s not much in it. I haven’t seen the Logo on the SJS website, so don’t think they stock it. I’m sure they’d fit it for you if you had it ordered for the bike. About going for the stainless steel ones, they are slightly less strong then the black steel ones.

The bar-ends are cheapo Halford ones, for £15, with a bit of foam around them.

Cheers,

Stijn

Hi Andrew

I've got a Tubus Logo on my Roberts cross country bike and a Thorn 531 rear rack on my Nomad. I prefer the Thorn because the platform is wide enough to take an Altura rack pack comfortably, which the Tubus narrow platform won't allow. The Tubus does allow panniers to be mounted lower but the advantage of that is outweighed by not being able to carry a rack pack, in my view. Both Tubus and Thorn racks do seem to be immensly strong and don't sway with heavy loads, but for sheer convenience, I'd go for the cheaper of the two Thorn racks.

Cheers

Dave

keithJ.:
Hi new to forum and hope you dont mind me asking a few questions about your excellent bike.

Can you give full spec of bike? forks on Thorn bikes seem so narrow compared to the tank like dawes Sardar frok (although they are too narrow even for 1.75 tyres what a cock up!!)are the Thorn froks very strong for off road? do find that 32 spokes on back is enough camping laden? or is that a feature of these types of hubs and if i am used to 48-38-26 gears on old set up (12-32) will i have enough gears on a Rohloff ( by the way if you are off road a lot could you have gone for the fox suspension upgrade - just a thought!)

Sorry about all teh questions, just need to solve the lack of clearnace problem and Thorn may be an option, Best Keith

keithJ.:
Sorry about the crap spelling by the way, Keith.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version