Author Topic: Thorn nomad MK2....  (Read 5156 times)

jul

Thorn nomad MK2....
« on: December 19, 2012, 08:36:10 pm »
Hello everybody,

I dream since many month about this bike.
I have a project to go with him, far!
I would to build it by myself also.

Do you now if is it the best expedition bike in the Thorn family?!
I heard for choice the frame dimension, that depend of bar installed...?

About me, i'm 1,75 m tall for 68 kg.

Do you have a idea to choose my frame dimension? (with the confort bar)

Thanks for yours answers and sorry for my english -)

Julien

JimK

• Interdependent Science
Re: Thorn nomad MK2....
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2012, 09:34:03 pm »
Hi Julien,

I expect the folks at SJS can answer most of your questions, but probably it will be fun too to see what people here say!

I think the Nomad is the ultimate expedition bike in the Thorn line-up. It's the bike I have, but I have hardly tested its limits at all!

My bike is a size 565L. I am 1.8 m tall in bare feet, with an 85 cm standover in bike shoes. I am also using the comfort bars. Probably you would use the same size frame. My stem is 115 mm - maybe you would want one a little bit shorter.

Probably for real expedition riding the wheels are even more important than the frame! And you also need strong racks!

Anyway, I hope you find a way to make real some of your dreams!

Rockymountain

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2012, 06:31:21 am »
I, too, have a Nomad Mk2 which is now 6 weeks old.  I'm 1.8m and have the 590L - it fits me like a glove and is the most comfortable of the six bikes that I have.  It's not fast but is brilliant for carrying my touring gear, which is what I want.  The Thorn Nomad brochure is a good starting place to get the geometry and available specs.  I'd urge you to get one......you won't regret it.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2012, 03:15:03 am »
Hello Julien, and welcome to the Thorn Cycles Forum!

It's always fun to find a member in the midst of choosing and selecting a new Thorn, and you'll find many here are ready and willing to help with any questions you might have. This is a fun and exciting time for you!

Let's take your questions in turn...
I dream since many month about this bike.
Oh, this is something we've all gone through! The dreaming is wonderful...ownership even moreso. Be patient; it will happen. When it does, we'll all celebrate with you!
I have a project to go with him, far!
We'd love to hear about it! I'm guessing you have a very big tour planned...perhaps around the world? Really, any tour is a lot of fun, even if it is just a day ride from your own doorstep.
I would to build it by myself also.
<nods> Yes, this can be one of the most economical ways to Thorn ownership, particularly if you already have a bicycle and can just transfer your old components to the new frame. This is more likely if you already have a derailleur bike and are buying a derailleur Thorn, though some here have built-up their own Nomads (Il Padrone); the result is wonderful! Assembling your own complete bicycle is a fun and satisfying experience (jags did this with his Sherpa), but can be more expensive if you have to buy all the parts to put on it. However, there's no better way to become familiar with the bike, and you'll be well-qualified to do your own repairs if needed while on-tour.
Do you now if is it the best expedition bike in the Thorn family?!
"Best" depends on your needs, preferences, intended use, and cargo capacity requirements but the Nomad Mk2 currently has the highest cargo capacity of any tourer in Thorn's line. If you are looking to carry heavy loads (say, in really remote places), it can surely do the job! If you don't need the ultimate in cargo capacity, there's the Raven, which also uses a Rohloff hub, or the Sherpa -- a tremendous value in a heavy-camping and touring bike. It is less expensive, has derailleurs that can be easily repaired/replaced, and the frame is a bit more resilient and lighter for a faster, more comfortable ride unladen if you prefer narrower tires. The Nomad and Raven use the Rohloff internally-geared hub which adds greatly to the initial cost but is nearly maintenance-free thereafter, so should be less expensive over years of heavy use. Ride comfort with the Nomad's heavy-duty frame is more dependent on the use of tires with large air volume run at low pressures. There is also the Club Tour, a traditional touring bike intended for lighter loads and great versatility if you prefer 700C wheels.
I heard for choice the frame dimension, that depend of bar installed...?
<nods> Yes! It is best to choose your preferred handlebar first, *then* choose the frame. Thorn offer a huge number of sizes in two top tube lengths. Generally, the short top tubes are best suited for drop handlebars and long top tubes work best for straight or comfort handlebars. I have a 590M Nomad, and find the Medium frame works very nicely with compact drop handlebars and a short (60mm) stem. The bike allows me the option to someday switch to straight or comfort handlebars if I wish. If you would like to read a bit about how I chose my frame size, go here: http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=4523.msg22073#msg22073 For reference, I am 180cm call (like RockyMountain, who has the 590L). My standover in cycling shoes (old method) is 88cm. I weigh 78kg. For more on sizing, I suggest you take a look at these topics:
http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=4939.0
http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=5267.msg27871#msg27871
Thorn can always offer you the best advice on what frame will provide the best fit. They have developed a database from years of doing this, and can draw upon that experience once they know your measurements and preferences. They are only a phone call away, and it is well worth discussing your sizing questions with them.
Do you have a idea to choose my frame dimension? (with the confort bar)
With comfort 'bars, you would probably need a frame with a "Long" top tube, but it would depend on your body dimensions. Every  Thorn brochure has a sizing form ( http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/models.html ) and  Thorn have a wonderful sizing guide here:  http://www.sjscycles.com/thornpdf/SetUpHiRes.pdf
Thanks for yours answers and sorry for my english -)
You're welcome! Your English is very good; I wish I could do as well in a second language.

Best,

Dan.

jul

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2013, 01:45:31 pm »
thanks for yours answers!
propably my frame will be a 565L with a comfort bars, as i tried last summer a 590L, i feel it a little bit tall for me...(but i'm not sűre -;)
So about my futures wheels, first i want one thing, it will be 26"! but i don't now which modčle to choose.. i'm interesting for this : Rim Mavic 819 UST BLACK with the border polished. (i need to check the price before -;)
Did you now which modčles can i put? 

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2013, 02:11:07 pm »
I imagine you can use just about any 26 inch rim with the Nomad frame. But the frame is not the key constraint.

Probably the most important constraint is the Rohloff hub, assuming that is what you plan to use. Bikepacker (a member of this forum) told some dreadful story here about a Rohloff with an incompatible rim where the spoke would break immediately. So the most important thing is to find a rim that will work well with the Rohloff. The Rohloff is very big so the spokes come out of the rim at an unusually large angle, so the rim needs to allow for that.

Another constraint is the tire. Wide tires need wide rims. What combinations will work or will work best, that gets some debate. My Andra 30 rims have an inner well width of 19 mm. The inner well width is usually 5 mm or so narrower than the outer width of the rim. I usually have 50 mm tires on my bike. If/when I replace the rims I will look for something a bit wider.

Here is some info from Schwalbe on tire/rim combinations:

http://www.schwalbetires.com/tech_info/tire_dimensions#rim

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2013, 02:18:09 pm »
Here is a nice discussion on wheels for a Rohloff:

http://www.dcrwheels.co.uk/custom-wheelsets/building-with-a-rohloff-hub/

How accurate or up-to-date this information is, that I don't know.

jul

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2013, 02:35:49 pm »
ok i didn't imagine this complication.. thank you.  I need to study that

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2013, 01:36:08 am »
Here is a relevant snippet from a Rohloff document filename Benutzerinfo_en.pdf - looks like it is the Owner's Manual. My copy looks like version WS 2.13E 2010-11.

The RohloffSPEEDHUB500/14 is only available in a 32 spoke version. The ideal rims to be used are triple hollow aluminum rims from known manufacturers with reinforced spoke eyelets (min. 4,4mm) or alternatively, rims which are diagonally drilled or with countersunk nipple seats (e.g. ANDRA, GRIZZLY and EDGE 7 from Rigida/Ryde or the Ex19 rim from Exal).

il padrone

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2013, 01:49:06 am »
Rohloff Speedhub is now available also in 36 hole. I believe I have read that with 36h the spoke angle issue is not a problem - it only occurs with 32h. Will need to check this. Also many better quality rims have spoke eyelets eg. my Mavic XM719 certainly did.

NZPeterG

• It's Great to Be Alive! Again! Go Cycle. . . . . .
    • Kiwi Pete's Cycling Safari
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2013, 09:01:12 am »
thanks for yours answers!
propably my frame will be a 565L with a comfort bars, as i tried last summer a 590L, i feel it a little bit tall for me...(but i'm not sure -;)
So about my futures wheels, first i want one thing, it will be 26"! but i don't now which modčle to choose.. i'm interesting for this : Rim Mavic 819 UST BLACK with the border polished. (i need to check the price before -;)
Did you now which modčles can i put?  

Hi I have been using Mavic 819 UST rim's for years laced up to My old and My new Rohloff Hub's!
It works great spoke angle's are all good.
I 1st laced my old hub up to rim brake 819 UST rim's, I switch over to Disc only 819 UST rim's on my 2nd Mountain Bike. Used this set up on my 3rd bike too, Only switched/relaced my 1st Rohloff to 29er rim's because my 4th and 5th Mountains where 29er's (700c).
On coming back for Africa last year I build up My new "World Touring Bike" with Mavic 819 UST (rim brake) again as I run my tyres tubeless for offroad riding.
Yes Mavic 819 UST rim's do cost a lot! But if you are after the best then it cost's  :o

Pete......
 ;)

« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 09:06:00 am by NZPeterG »
The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common[

http://kiwipetesadventures.tumblr.com/

http://kiwipetescyclingsafari.blogspot.co.nz/

Looked after by Chris @ http://www.puresports.co.nz/
For all your Rohloff and Thorn Bicycle's in NZ