Author Topic: How many headset spacers are too many?? Or too few?  (Read 12672 times)

Audax hopeful

How many headset spacers are too many?? Or too few?
« on: November 21, 2014, 09:07:07 pm »
I'm toying in my head with changing the fork/stem/handlebar arrangement on my Audax Mk3. At present I have 70mm of spacers (inc a Thorn accessory bar) below my -8 degree 110mm stem.

I no longer need the accessory bar, and I've never really liked the pile of spacers - but until recently I wasn't too keen on inclined stems either. However I'm changing my mind (FarOeuf's bike was one of the bad influences!) and considering flipping the stem to allow reducing the stack of spacers. I feel a slight height increase might be beneficial, but the reach is about right. I don't want to lose flexibility, but I can always use a 17 degree stem in the future to obtain even more height. Question is - how many spacers to keep?

Of course I'll try out options before cutting the stem down, but was wondering on the thoughts of the collective "wisdom" in the forum?!

Nich

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: How many headset spacers are too many?? Or too few?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2014, 09:23:49 pm »
Hi Nich!

If you're dismayed by the number of spacers, you can achieve a much more integrated look by substituting some of Thorn's "tall" spacers (up to 48mm), shown in links here: http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/find.asp?site=&name=thorn&page=1&geoc=US#filterkey=cat&cat=590&page=1

As for steerer length, I decided to keep mine full length (uncut) when I owned Sherpa and did the same for my Nomad, using the extra space to mount bottles alongside the steerer, among other things. I figure it is a hedge against Future Days when I might wish to place my handlebars higher than they are now.

I suspect you've pretty well settled on your position now and forever, but your musings on stem length leave open the possibility you may still wish to make some adjustments. With that in mind, it might be best to leave the steerer uncut till you finish playing with different spacer/stem combinations.

As for strength, I don't think you'll find any issues with Thorn's robust steerer regardless whether it is full length or cut-down.

All the best,

Dan.

Far-Oeuf

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2014, 09:49:08 pm »
are you asking in terms of aesthetics or strength?  

I've always (going back 15 years of A-headsets) kept the stem-clamp covering not less than 3/4 of the head tube.   that's by no means scientific, but I've never had a failure (steel forks always, on mountain-bikes and very rough terrain).

Once you've measured fork axle to stem, as a baseline, I think it's great to play about with options.   It's also one of the great things about the bikes we have (ie steel), that they're not shrink-wrapped and you can play around with different configurations more easily.

(btw, I had two tall spacers on my CT which were too tall for my new (oversized to fit the new bars) 'flipped' stem.   So if you want a large (Thorn) spacer I have a 50mm gathering dust).

cheers,
Doug

Audax hopeful

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2014, 10:18:01 pm »
I can see my ambiguous post has caused some confusion. No, I have no concerns about the strength of the steerer stem at different lengths (it's a Thorn steel one after all!); similarly it's not the number of spacers, but the combined height and resultant aesthetics!

[Aside - if I do settle on a final spacer height of 50mm I will be in touch Doug, a single spacer might look really neat!]

My steerer is already cut down from its full length, but I'm considering taking an extra 15 to 30mm off it's present length. I feel it's important to remember this is an Audax frame, not a Raven or Nomad which I may well feel needed a different aesthetic approach! Still interested in feedback...

Nich

mickeg

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2014, 01:19:50 am »
I personally like a 17 degree stem in the horizontal position, as on my Sherpa.  Also, if I sell it having a longer steerer tube may be a plus.  In the photo I have two 10mm spacers above the stem, I am too lazy to cut it down.

I did cut the steerer tube on my Nomad, but I might want to pack the fork for transport, thus wanted it shorter so there was a reason to cut it.  I was careful not to cut too much, I actually cut it three times, it is better to leave it a little long and cut it again later than to cut it too much the first time.

honesty

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2014, 07:34:10 am »
I much prefer the look of a slopping stem over a large stack of spacers and a flat to the floor stem, especially on an audax where a slopping stem can be made to match the slope of the top tube.

leftpoole

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2014, 09:40:11 am »
Hello,
Having looked at all variations I see some are bothered and some are not!n
In my own opinion too many Thorn bikes are out on the road, built to fit the purchaser but with really over long steerers! Why?
My bikes if you take a look, have a decent (to look at) steerer length. I see no reason, other than having incorrect frame size, why anyone should have what looks a too long steerer.
Thorn bikes when discussed on some of those 'Roadie' Forums are laughed at because of just this!
Regards,
John

jags

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2014, 11:40:44 am »
i can see the reason for not cutting the steerer tube, for add on's bar extensions and whatever.
but for me it's about 2inches max  if i was younger then i would have one .
reason being  i picked the right size frame ;)

i reckon the same goes with seat tube.i often see guys with the seat tube fully extended ;D ;D give me a break they are obviously on the wrong size frame .
bit of a macho thing going on  or should i say wally.

jags.

leftpoole

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2014, 01:13:26 pm »
i can see the reason for not cutting the steerer tube, for add on's bar extensions and whatever.

i reckon the same goes with seat tube.i often see guys with the seat tube fully extended ;D ;D give me a break they are obviously on the wrong size frame .

jags.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

rualexander

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2014, 02:28:42 pm »

jags.

Or maybe because a suitably sized frame is not available other than though the custom built route.
My Audax Mk3 and Sherpa are both the largest sizes Thorn produce, and I have more seatpost showing than I would like from an aesthetic viewpoint. I don't have a big stack of spacers at the front because I prefer a steep sloping stem to extra spacers, and have my bars a couple of inches below saddle level.
I could have bought a different brand maybe (Surly etc) but other aspects of the geometries of othe brands didn't suit me.
My old Cannondale 700c tourer (which cracked) was a 25" frame and had a level top tube, there was about 4" of seat tube showing on it.

jags

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2014, 02:39:25 pm »
thorn had better go back to the drawing board so.why dont the make the seat tube part of the frame with these sloping top tubes.

a fully extended seat post does look  out of place on a sloping top tube IMHO.
i can't figure this one out surly it has been proven that the seat tube height give you the proper  size frame top tube  for reach am i missing something here. ::)

jags.

leftpoole

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2014, 02:49:19 pm »
Or maybe because a suitably sized frame is not available other than though the custom built route.
My Audax Mk3 and Sherpa are both the largest sizes Thorn produce, and I have more seatpost showing than I would like from an aesthetic viewpoint. I don't have a big stack of spacers at the front because I prefer a steep sloping stem to extra spacers, and have my bars a couple of inches below saddle level.
I could have bought a different brand maybe (Surly etc) but other aspects of the geometries of othe brands didn't suit me.
My old Cannondale 700c tourer (which cracked) was a 25" frame and had a level top tube, there was about 4" of seat tube showing on it.

Hello
I think you may be an exception due to being 7 feet tall?
Tall headtubes are because the frame is not large enough or because a person has particularly short legs/long body?
John

rualexander

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2014, 04:37:29 pm »
Hello
I think you may be an exception due to being 7 feet tall?
Tall headtubes are because the frame is not large enough or because a person has particularly short legs/long body?
John

Nope, I am only 6'2", not exceptionally tall these days.

Andre Jute

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2014, 11:53:12 pm »

Wally.

More show than engineering.

leftpoole

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2014, 11:02:45 am »
Nope, I am only 6'2", not exceptionally tall these days.

I am surprised that you feel too much seatpost is showing. If you have a biggest size then I should have thought the opposite!
Anyhow it is steerer spacers in question.....
John