Author Topic: Sherpa size 560xl, does the shoe fit?  (Read 3306 times)

Darragh

Sherpa size 560xl, does the shoe fit?
« on: March 19, 2012, 11:55:22 am »
Hi,

Anyone riding a Sherpa 560xl? Just wondering if you think this would match ok with someone 6ft 2".

Thanks,

Darragh

Pavel

Re: Sherpa size 560xl, does the shoe fit?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012, 02:43:56 pm »
Darragh, I am two inches shorter than you and I was sized up for the 595 Nomad, if that helps at all.  It seems the perfect size but I used to like smaller frames and for more spirited rides I'd be tempted to try one size down, as long as the steerer was long enough to keep me from too tight a positioin.  I wonder how it would work for you and what the pro's an cons tend to be.

rualexander

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012, 03:05:25 pm »
I'm 6'2" and ride a 610S Sherpa, I certainly wouldn't want to have anything smaller.

bgp4

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2012, 06:11:22 pm »
And to add another comparison for you... I am 5'4" and the Thorn folks recommended an X540M Nomad, based on my measurements.  The frame seems to fit me perfectly.

I would not hesitate to contact Thorn with your measurements and have them help you pick the appropriate size frame.  The measurements that they need should be found at the end of the Sherpa brochure.  They were very helpful when I asked for their help with this...

Christine

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2012, 06:22:40 pm »
I would not hesitate to contact Thorn with your measurements and have them help you pick the appropriate size frame.
Golden advice from Christine, Darragh. You can't lose, and will see what Thorn themselves would recommend. Ask them if they think you could get by with the 560XL, as well.

Based on what others are saying about their Nomads (which do differ slightly in their geometry), I think it will be a tight squeeze. If it fits, it will likely *just* fit. Rual is about the same size as you, and prefers his larger Sherpa. Something to consider. At 5'11"/1803mm, I wouldn't want to go smaller than my 560S, which has proven to be a perfect fit for me with drops and an uncut steerer and drop handlebars.

Nevertheless, if the opportunity to try one (in whatever size) presents itself, you'll learn a great deal from the test ride.

Best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 08:24:04 pm by Danneaux »

Darragh

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2012, 07:38:21 pm »
Thanks for the input guys,

Thorn said it would be too small and I'd need a 585L.

Cheers,

Darragh

triaesthete

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2012, 09:01:28 pm »
Wow, that's huge. I'm over six foot and ride 535L :o
Ian

aj

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2012, 02:17:14 am »
My Sherpa is a 560XL, that's the size recommended by Thorn when I bought mine. I'm 6' 1" tall. Some pictures here
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 02:20:50 am by aj »

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2012, 08:27:53 pm »
Maybe the frame-size variations are due not to variations in height, but in BFSO (bare-foot-stand-over) alone, or in combination with other things, like armspan? That could account for why some taller folks can ride smaller frames, while others need larger ones. I'm guessing Thorn are taking all measurements into account in their recommendations. Happily, their recommendations agreed with what I thought I needed and the result fits like a glove, duplicating perfectly the fit on my other bikes.

Sounds like everyone is pretty happy with what they got.  :)

Best,

Dan.

triaesthete

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2012, 09:37:42 pm »
My frame is on the small side for several reasons. (I chose this and built the bike myself without Thorn input.)

I like bars lower than the  saddle and a shortish reach to drops. I had other bikes to measure this from which helps.

I don't like "avoidable" weight.

I have no aesthetic requirement for horizontal stems or specific amounts of seat pin exposure. In fact I like long seat pins (MTB influence I think) and upward sloping stems (shortest route between two points, less spacers and shorter steerer, greater rigidity etc- horizontal stem means longer steerer, more spacers, more weight.) Some would say only a man without aesthetic sensibility could like a Thorn, but I side with Andre in the Bauhaus of bikes counter argument ie function determines form and the form is therefore functionally beautiful.

To get my size I started with top tube length/handlebar reach required and used the smallest frame possible (and longish stem) to give this. Standover then sorts itself out. Long seat pin sorts the saddle height and Andy's choice of a relaxed seat angle means no layback post required.

If you are going to have a compact (ie sloping top tube) frame it may as well be a compact (small) frame  :)   

Other things being equal it's also lighter and stiffer for no compromise in reliability.

Until I saw Dan's bike with all the steerer mounted accessories I couldn't see a reason for going big  ;)

Ian