Author Topic: Beginner's questions about September in Scotland or England  (Read 7879 times)

flocsy

Re: Beginner's questions about September in Scotland or England
« Reply #45 on: August 28, 2023, 01:08:59 pm »
Which spare inner tube (with presta valve) would you recommend for Nomad mk2 with Schwalbe Marathon 2.0” Tyres on Andra Rigida 30 Rims? I'll bring a patch kit with me, but might be easier to use a spare inner on the road side and patch the flat later in the camping.

PH

« Reply #46 on: August 29, 2023, 09:58:57 pm »
Pretty much any tube will be fine, I use Schwalbe because they're a reasonable price, for a couple of quid more I use the lite version which don't seem to be any less robust and the spares pack smaller.  They're also faster, physics says so, though it's not something I've ever noticed.
The only poor tubes I've had were ridiculous cheap, it didn't take me long to discover why.  I also had a Continental which had a manufacturing fault, though the lesson there is about not carrying untested kit rather than brand loyalty.
If it's not raining, and I'm not in a hurry or holding a group up, I patch my tyres at the roadside.  If the cause was obvious, I'll sometimes do so without taking the wheel off. Either way, it's the only routine where you continue your journey as prepared as you were before the puncture. Plus, the repair is tested there and then, rather than at some point in the future.

Andre Jute

« Reply #47 on: August 29, 2023, 10:36:54 pm »
+1 for Schwalbe. I accept nothing less.

+1 for the Leicht or light tube, which saves significant rotating weight and in my experience is noways inferior in longevity or puncture resistance to the normal inner tube. I have a tube still in service that was new on my fave bike 13 years ago.

flocsy

Cash vs credit card in the UK
« Reply #48 on: August 30, 2023, 11:46:33 pm »
I just came back from a 2 weeks family vacation from Hungary and I was surprised to see that there was only 1 place where they didn't accept credit card. What is the situation in rural England? Will I need to bring cash with me or can I pay with credit card even in small supermarkets, shops, campings, pubs, etc?

PH

« Reply #49 on: August 31, 2023, 10:19:57 am »
In almost all circumstances you'll be able to pay by card, assuming your card is issued by one of the common players.  We've been heading towards a cashless society for a decade or so, the pandemic accelerated it.  It's best to have a bit of cash as a back up, but the chances of needing it are slim.  I last drew cash out at Easter, £50 and I have about £20 left!
OTOH if you prefer to use cash, there's very few circumstances where you won't be able to, or it'll be less convenient.  There's those who continue to rely on it, often in the mistaken belief they're doing the retailer a favour, though in nearly all cases they'll prefer a card transaction as it costs less to process.

in4

« Reply #50 on: September 01, 2023, 09:09:40 am »
Perhaps one of those pre-load currency cards might be useful. I use Wise for overseas transactions. The exchange rate is pretty good, better than many banks. Simply load it up with your home currency then convert to your chosen other currency. I’ve found it very convenient, safe and economic. Using it to withdraw cash from ATMs might incur a charge. Wise give you both a physical and digital card. Revolute is another although I know nothing about it.

flocsy

« Reply #51 on: September 02, 2023, 05:57:15 am »
I also use Wise as my preferred card abroad and I'll take another one that is Mastercard as a backup, plus 100 Pounds in cash just in case.

flocsy

« Reply #52 on: September 03, 2023, 03:17:07 pm »
What are my chances to find open supermarket / minimarket / grocery store on Saturday / Sunday in the UK (in rural area)? Should I prepare by buying 2.5 days worth of food on Friday?

JohnR

« Reply #53 on: September 03, 2023, 06:47:13 pm »
Saturday should be no problem up to about 5pm provided the village has a food shop. Sunday is more of a lottery with shops owned by chains more likely to be open than family businesses. Many petrol stations have shops which will be open on Sundays. If you know where you are going then it could be useful to look closely on Google Maps to see what shops exist and sometimes there are links showing the opening hours.

in4

« Reply #54 on: September 03, 2023, 06:54:00 pm »
The Outer Hebrides observes Sunday closing as per the tradition of the Wee Free Church.

PH

« Reply #55 on: September 04, 2023, 11:06:33 am »
Shops - It's a bit of a gamble on any day.  If you've chosen a rural route, it's possible to go all day without passing a shop.  Though if you're stuck, google maps will usually find you a detour to something.  It also varies from area to area and village to village, many having lost their local shop over the last decade. 
I always carry some food of last resort, in the bottom of a pannier and something I'm not that keen on, something that isn't going to tempt me unless I actually need it.   

flocsy

« Reply #56 on: September 04, 2023, 10:29:19 pm »
Yeah, I got my nuts mix, and I almost had to eat it tonight, but at the end Google did find a small shop in a small village that was open after 6pm and only with 20m detour :)

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #57 on: September 05, 2023, 08:45:22 am »
Yeah, I got my nuts mix, and I almost had to eat it tonight, but at the end Google did find a small shop in a small village that was open after 6pm and only with 20m detour :)

Where are you now?
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

flocsy

« Reply #58 on: September 05, 2023, 11:20:37 pm »
Hooton Lodge Farm near Swinton and heading south to Oxford