Technical > Wheels, Tyres and Brakes

Dia Compe 287V Brake Levers

(1/2) > >>

freddered:
I am in the process of fitting a set of Drops with Dia Compe 287V Levers.  They are supplied with 2 sets of 'Noodles', one large, adjustable set for the V-Brake end and , I assume, another set of smaller ones for the 287V Brake Lever end.

I can't figure out how to get a decent fit using small Noodles. They just seem to stick out at a strange angle.  In the end I left them off and tried it without and it seems OK.  The action is a bit 'sticky' but I was told it would be.  I'll bend the return springs a bit to give it more pull-back.

Does anyone have experience of these brake levers?  Do the Noodles give a smoother action?  Is there something obvious I'm missing ?

I'll also phone SJSC tomorrow for guidance I think.

stutho:
Hi I had exactly the same problem.  Initially I tried filling away some of the casing (where the noodle exits) which did make the noodle sit better but still wasn’t right.  

So next I got out the drill.  And threw away the noodles.

If you look at where the noodle normally sits there are 2 drilled holes. 1 fits the noodle the other is below the first and doesn’t do anything (and is blind – doesn’t penetrate). It is this hole we are interested in.
With a delicate touch increase the diameter of the hole so that a normal brake cable outer can site in it. DON’T increase the depth only the width of this hole, you won’t need to increase it much maybe ½ mm.

Next in the middle of the blind hole drill a SMALL hole all the way through.  This hole must be big enough for the brake cable inner to pass smoothly but small enough for the outer to be stopped.

Don’t put a cap on the outer of the brake cable and oil it well (pref. with Cable Magic) – push into prepared hole – job done.

This worked really well for me and my levers have no noticeable drag.  The weak spring in the levers was enough to return the cable to position. The only problem I had was that the outer kept coming out of the hole while I was mounting the levers.  Once lever is mounted (with outer in situ) tape outer in position with electrical tape.

Disclaimer all this worked for me – I don’t know if it will work for you, try at your own risk.

john28july:
Hello,
This is a simple case I think of misunderstanding of the 'problem;
I have used these brake levers and the short tubes push into the rear of the brake lever. The tubes hang off the bars at an angle. Gentle turn twist and press them closer to the bars. Tape over. Fit cables. Job done.
If this is not the problem you have, then I guess you do have a fault with your supplied items.
Best regrads,
John.

www.pbase.com/john28july

freddered:
I fitted them now, the stick-out end is now buried in insulation tape, inner tube and cork tape.

I have to say it's a real achievement in crap design by Dia Compe, why they can't just have a permanent cable guide inside there is beyond me.

I had to splay the V-Brake springs a bit to beef up the return pull and grease the cables in order to get a smooth action but it seems OK.  Will test out the power for the first time tomorrow (1st time to ride with new drops fitted also...feels more like a bike already).

stutho:
Well done, I agrea the design is Vpoor

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version