Community > Non-Thorn Related

Schwalbe Marathon Plus

(1/6) > >>

in4:
New tyre time is getting close. Having a brief search makes me think that Marathon Pluses are still the most popular 26in option? 

WorldTourer:
If you do many thousands of km, you can also go with the (folding version of the) Mondial, as that is still produced in 26". The Almotion is becoming an increasingly popular tire for touring and light bikepacking, but I think it has never been offered in 26", only 650B and 700c.

dsim:

--- Quote from: WorldTourer on February 28, 2024, 09:48:36 pm ---If you do many thousands of km, you can also go with the (folding version of the) Mondial, as that is still produced in 26". The Almotion is becoming an increasingly popular tire for touring and light bikepacking, but I think it has never been offered in 26", only 650B and 700c.

--- End quote ---

My Nomad originally came with 26 inch x 2.15 inch Almotion tyres, but their grip doesn't work that great with wet mud and thorns kept coming through. I've changed to Marathon GT365 - great offroad grip and almost the same puncture protection as marathon plus. They aren't lightweight at all though.

I'm editing this in case anyone is interested in tyres in the future.

I've realised the GT365s are way too heavy compared to the Almotion tyres. But the newer Almotion tyres have crap puncture protection so I'm switching to Mondials.

martinf:
Depends what you want in a tyre.

For local use on glass-strewn streets Marathon Plus is probably sensible. But a bit heavy and more rolling resistance than I like. I have these on the rear wheels of the two visitor bikes at our island flat, where distances are short and the "near zero punctures" feature is more important.

Marathon Mondial is also fairly puncture resistant, and better off tarmac. A bit lighter than Marathon Plus, but still quite a lot of rolling resistance. I have a pair on a utility bike that I sometimes take off-road, but in the discontinued 55x559 size. 50x559 is still available.

For my own use of mainly on-road riding I generally prefer a lighter and more free-rolling tyre. I have a good stock of Kevlar bead Marathon Supremes in 50x559, but these are no longer available.

The closest currently available equivalent to Marathon Supreme that I have found in the 50x559 size are Continental Contact Urban Wire Bead, which are quoted at 559g. I have the 35x349 size of this tyre on one of my Bromptons, they roll well on tarmac and I haven't yet been bothered with punctures.

mickeg:
I have not bought any 26 inch tires for several years, still have tread on my plain Marathons (with Greenguard), Duremes and Extremes.  Most of my riding since the start of Covid was on 700c tires.  And since the Duremes and Extremes are discontinued, that leaves the Greenguard Marathons.

That said, I have never bought the Plus version with that extra rolling resistance.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version