Author Topic: camera advice.  (Read 5581 times)

jags

camera advice.
« on: March 17, 2013, 06:07:37 pm »
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias=electronics&field-keywords=canon%20powershot&tag=5336714512-20-2147483553-20

lads if you were to pick one of these cameras around the $100=+ mark which would you choose.
i just need a good camera that doesn't cost the earth to have on my bike travels.

cheers
jags.

ianshearin

Re: camera advice.
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2013, 06:48:19 pm »
I will be in the market this summer for a camera as well Jags, one of the things I have thought about is that camera enthusiasts are complete geeks  ;D.
Show them a new model and the old one is on ebay quicker than a Cypriot bank closing.

My thoughts are to snap (see what I did there) up a second hand bargain....
« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 06:50:10 pm by ianshearin »
In the end, it's not going to matter how many breaths you took, but how many moments took your breath away.
'shing xiong'

jags

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2013, 06:57:08 pm »
yeah i'm looking to go the secondhand market myself for obvious reasons  ::)
i know nothing about cameras just want one when i point it at whatever it takes a good clear photo nothing more than that  ;D

bikepacker

• Bikepacker
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2013, 07:05:05 pm »
For what it is worth my advice would be to get a camera that has an optical viewfinder. Two reasons: Using the viewfinder and switching off the screen gives about 10x longer battery life between charges, essential on a long tour. Also it makes you a better photographer and that bit of advice comes with 35 year experience in the business.

I carry with me a Canon Ixus 100 IS a lovely little camera that fits into my cycling jersey pocket. You have seen it and taken a picture (top of Healy Pass) with it.

The Powershot A1300 is a nice cheap camera that uses AA batteries (my son has one) but it is a little larger and the body is plastic and not as strong.
If you want to be happy learn to be alone without being lonely.
If you want to enjoy the world see it from the saddle of a bike.
If you want to experience beauty camp alone in a spectacular place.
If you want release your anxieties cease excuses and take actions.

rualexander

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2013, 07:07:24 pm »
Some good deals can be had from the Canon ebay UK outlet, http://stores.ebay.co.uk/canon-outlet
Some of the cameras are old models and some are 'refurbished', which usually just means someone had bought them from a shop and returned them for some reason.
I've bought a couple of cameras from them in the past, no problems.

Only problem for you jags, is they only ship within the UK.

Andybg

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2013, 07:15:44 pm »
I use a Canon Powershot sx20is which is a few years old now and can be had second hand for well under 100ukp. Things I like about it are:

In my opinion takes excellent pictures
Uses standard AA batteries
The screen spins right round so both protects it and means on power up the screen is not taking power
Has a powerful combined physical and digital zoom

Andy

jags

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2013, 07:17:25 pm »
For what it is worth my advice would be to get a camera that has an optical viewfinder. Two reasons: Using the viewfinder and switching off the screen gives about 10x longer battery life between charges, essential on a long tour. Also it makes you a better photographer and that bit of advice comes with 35 year experience in the business.

I carry with me a Canon Ixus 100 IS a lovely little camera that fits into my cycling jersey pocket. You have seen it and taken a picture (top of Healy Pass) with it.

The Powershot A1300 is a nice cheap camera that uses AA batteries (my son has one) but it is a little larger and the body is plastic and not as strong.
i was just about to email you isn't that amazing.
wanted to know about new bike a nd tent and how the world is with you.
thanks for the advice on camera but your a pro  8)
so i need an idiot proof camera..

jags

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2013, 07:20:17 pm »
Thanks lads BTW i'm stone broke so  i'm just window shopping  at the moment no harm in that.

Andybg

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2013, 07:39:14 pm »
The only time window shopping can be harmfull is when you are shopping for windows

Andy

jags

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2013, 07:44:25 pm »
The only time window shopping can be harmfull is when you are shopping for windows

Andy

;D ;D i used to make windows .

bikepacker

• Bikepacker
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2013, 10:12:54 pm »
i was just about to email you isn't that amazing.
wanted to know about new bike a nd tent and how the world is with you.
thanks for the advice on camera but your a pro  8)
so i need an idiot proof camera..

Both the cameras I mentioned are idiot proof.

I will email you in the week regarding bike and tent. Taking Nammatj and Super Galaxy tomorrow up into them there hills. ;) ;)
If you want to be happy learn to be alone without being lonely.
If you want to enjoy the world see it from the saddle of a bike.
If you want to experience beauty camp alone in a spectacular place.
If you want release your anxieties cease excuses and take actions.

jags

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2013, 10:51:58 pm »
super galaxy now i'm totally confused  :)
hope you get some weather the forecast here is very bad for the coming week.

il padrone

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2013, 12:53:39 pm »
Just  to confuse you some more Jags !  :D

A totally new type of camera - the Lytro. Just a tad amazing, it lets you refocus the image after taking it to get a different focal length, and to make some degree of shift to the perspective of the image. All pretty amazing stuff. Some limitations to this system no doubt. It has a fixed f2 aperture to start with, and only 1/250 sec fastest shutter speed. Still some revolutionary changes to photography and it sells for just $399.

jags

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2013, 01:23:19 pm »
what will they come up with next  ;D ;D
way out of my price range though but yeah i love gadgets no idea how to use them but thats half the fun. ;D

E-wan

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2013, 11:26:09 pm »
I have a Canon D10 (not 10D which is an SLR)

It's worked well for me, very comfertable to hold and fairly indestructable. It's waterproof and you can drop it.

They've just released a new version so this may become cheeper or more available second hand

p.s
not very portable but at the other end of the spectrum I sometimes pipe dream about one of these
http://www.mamiyaleaf.com/products_credo2645df.asp
but the £27,620.00 price tag puts me off